Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Pink and White Wild Bushes - Pennsylvania

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CaseyV_01
Tioga, PA

May 19, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #4973526

Is this dogwood? All the pictures of dogwood I see have larger flowers. This grows wild all over my area in northern PA. Leaves match the description of dogwood, but can't find any with flowers like this. Any help is appreciated!

Casey

Thumbnail by CaseyV_01
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CaseyV_01
Tioga, PA

May 19, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #4973539

Here are the flowers... The pink variety has the flowers the same shape.

Thumbnail by CaseyV_01
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Nedhudson1
Thorne Bay, AK
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #4973622

Might be crabapple.
CaseyV_01
Tioga, PA

May 19, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #4973715

Before I started my internet search I was thinking dogwood, crabapple, or mountain laurel. I was thinking that only because I know they all grow here (Zone 5) and I wasn't sure what any of them looked like. I can't match all the attributes of any of these to these shrubs around here. I'm no expert though. I caught the bug this year to identify the wild plants in my area. I found a couple invasives on my property including crown vetch (CV) and garlic mustard (GM). The CV and GM are duking it out with each other right below the shrubs in my pictures.

These wild shrubs have five-petaled flowers with five stamens (if that's helpful). I've never seen fruit of any kind on these, but I wasn't really paying attention! The CV's and GM's are leaving these alone. ;)
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #4973722

It's a Lonicera / honeysuckle - the leaves remind me of dogwoods, too. They're everywhere around here.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #4973766

Here's a list of Lonicera species that occur in Pennsylvania. It will tell you if a species is native or introduced:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?searchTxt=lonicera&searchType=Sciname&stateSelect=US42&searchOrder=1&imageField.x=78&imageField.y=12
CaseyV_01
Tioga, PA

May 19, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #4973881

Thanks Clay. This has been driving me nuts. The description and photos at the USDA site seem to match mine pretty well. I'll have to read more, but it looks like I might be the lucky owner of another invasive. Oh well, thanks again for the help.

Casey

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America