Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: Growing ginger in zone 7

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 14, Views: 202
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rah127
Dalton, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #4973726

Hello everyone! I am new to trying to grow some tropicals in pots. I have had success with a few other plants, but I just got back from Hawaii and brought some different gingers back with me. I know they can't stay outside when it starts getting cold. Has anyone had success wintering over non-hardy species without the help of a greenhouse? I have an unheated garage and several bright windows. Any help would be appreciated!
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4999488

I'm in zone 7, and what I have goes dormant in winter, then returns.I'm no expert on gingers, but love them, and I am going to Hawaii this nov, and hope to get some plants.Is it tricky, or are you allowed so many, this will be our first and only trip their.LMK Mike
rah127
Dalton, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #5000054

it's not tricky--I did it the easy way. They have pre-approved packages of cuttings everywhere--I just got those. They also had a nursery on one of the islands that would send actual plants home, but they told me the gingers would come up fine from cuttings...the cuttings are relatively cheap (about 2-3 dollars apiece) and you can take at least a whole carry-on full of plants home (that's what I did)--also got some plumerias and an air plant and a coffee plant and a couple of tree ferns :~) I loved the plants while I was there!
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #5001873

Thanks, I know I will too.M
nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5015473

Rah,
I am just up the road from you and I have many of my gingers in the ground. All of my hedychiums have proved to be hardy for me (with a layer of mulched leaves during the winter).

I have tried pushing the zone a bit on many of the curcumas, and have found that some of them come back and others don't. So, I pop those out of the ground (dirt and all) and store them in the basement or garage for the winter. I let them go completely dormant and only give them just a tiny bit of water during the winter to keep the bulbs from totally drying out. The gingers have plenty of company during the winter as I store my brugmansias, plumerias, adeniums, and various colocasias/alocasias dormant.

Dancing Crane Zingiber has also proven to be hardy for me.

In the attached photo, you can see Dr. Moy just about to bloom. And the one with the red ribs/veins is one of my favorites, Zedoaria.

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5017193

Looking good Nat.
rah127
Dalton, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5017472

thanks--good to know I can store them in the garage as my house is already pretty full in the winter!

I love the big leafed plant in the background--what is that one?
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5017550

That would be Alocasia.
nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5017732

Rah, that one is Alocasia 'Calidora'

Hi Ken! :)

This message was edited May 28, 2008 9:11 PM
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #5030092

you folks are giving me some hope. I have ordered some shampoo gingers and am om the Crystal Coast of NC so hope mine will grow.

Lavina
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2008
10:25 PM

Post #5134765

I just found this thread. Nan...They are Beautiful!!!! I hope you aren't going to tell me that is this years picture. My Gingers are only a couple of feet tall. I did have my first Plumie bloom for the year this morning

The tropicals have always been my favorites. I love your Alocasia 'Calidora' That is now on my must have list. Where do you find your Gingers and the Alocasia?

I have three types of Gingers I don't know the names of any of them.
I dig up my red and gold Gingers for Winter but I leave the white (Butterfly?) in the ground and it does well for me.
Drop into the MidSouth forum folks would love your pictures.
nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #5144843

That picture was taken late last summer.

Most of my hedychiums are 4 to 5 ft. tall now.  Tai Mammoth is almost 6 ft already - - it gets REALLY big!  I've picked up several different gingers at round ups and have ordered from several different vendors.  Right now, Plant Delights has a good selection of different gingers (and alocasias and colocasias) that do well in our zones.  I cannot remember where I got my 'Calidora', but I think it might have been Becky and Brent's Bulbs.  

None of my plummies have bloomed yet.  I knocked off one of my info's repotted one of them up and another plummie's info just dried up and fell off!  My adeniums are starting to bloom though.   That's the good  thing about having as many plants as I do - - when one is not doing well, there's usually another putting on a show.

I'll have to take some photos this week and post a few over in the MidSouth forum.  I lurk over there some but haven't posted much.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5146563

I am off to PDN site. I will have a fit if they have Shampoo gingers as they are close to our home in Raleigh.

Lavina
nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5147645

I don't think PDN has shampoo ginger, but they do carry Curcuma Zedoaria which has awesome foliage!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5179209

I have my ginger in the ground too. The leaves die down in the winter time and I cover them heavily with pine straws for the winter. I think it depends on what kind of ginger you have. Also, I store my Plumeria in the garage in the winter.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America