-
AuthorContent
pianita
Langley
Canada

May 19, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #4974086

Thank you for your informative article. I would love to plant a smaller weeping maple along a north-facing fence. Unfortunately the bed receives no direct sun. There is, however, much ambient light. Is this possible? I live in the Fraser Valley, BC.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2008
11:33 PM

Post #5002566

I would stick to the green-leaved types..they are the most shade tolerant of all the cultivars.
parlorjazz
Brooklyn
United States

March 17, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6279883

I have questions about pruning. I just purchased a weeping palmatum dissectum "viridis" from a local nursery. It's about 3.5 ft. tall. It is just beginning to form its buds for spring blooming. I know that the beauty of these lie in their lacy foliage and layered appearance as they "weep" in their downward angle. I've already noticed that there are a number of branches that overlap and would like to know a few pruning tips:
when is the best time to prune? Since it's newly planted, should I just wait to see its development this first year while it acclimates to its new soil bed (that's my gut instinct).

Thanks, Jim
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6280173

I think I would wait for the plant to get established before pruning. In any case, the best time to prune is after the initial flush is finished. Spring pruing may lead to excess bleeding.
parlorjazz
Brooklyn
United States

April 21, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6442262

Gotcha, thanks Todd. That is what I felt I should do. I needed an expert to confirm it. I appreciate it.

All the best!

Jim

Thumbnail by parlorjazz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Japanese Maples 101 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I believe I am love! doccat5 13 May 26, 2008 1:47 AM
full sun ornamental tree - max 20' Krewson 2 May 22, 2008 6:06 PM
Arid Lands moxiecosmos 2 May 20, 2010 10:25 AM
Golden full moon japanese maple cshofner 2 Sep 25, 2008 5:43 PM
Acer palmatum Kiyo Hime Penjing 0 Aug 25, 2008 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America