Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Brugmansia grow out........any interest?

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 23, Views: 199
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #4974805

I have seedlings from Becky on DG that I started. The cross is pink beauty X ecuador pink. I thought it would be fun to have a grow out of these since I can only keep two. You have to be within driving distance of me because of the delicate nature of the seedlings. I can easily go to Lincoln or Omaha or Neb IA line south of Nebraska City to deliver these or meet someone. There is a named cultivar of this cross called "flirtation". But of course the seedlings can be any combination of the parents genetics. If this is successful we can swap cuttings later of the best ones! Anyone interested? You have to be able to overwinter the plant indoors, although it does not have to be complicated since alot of northern gardeners overwinter their plants dormant in the basement.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #5039537

Darn, wish I lived closer, we could swap some brugs! I have cuttings of monster white and versi peach.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
4:25 AM

Post #5044590

I know, but we could still swap sometime this summer, we are going to go to oceans of fun. The seedlings are growing fast at about 8 inches right now.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5046030

Sounds like a great deal to me.
Just let me know when you are coming and when you want to meet.
I just started the versi peach and will take cuttings from the monster white this week. Versi was given to me from AuntB last fall and Versi had almost like two trunks so I cut one off and am attempting to get it rooted. The monster white I got from star(something, can't remember her name off the top of my head) and she gave me 4 cuttings last summer. 3 made it and two bloomed this winter. I gave one to AuntB this spring since she was so kind to give me Versi. I posted pictures of monster this winter in bloom. Didn't notice the smell so much but had beautiful blooms. Big and white.
You are welcome to both if you would like.

Joyce
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #5055955

Monster white in bloom this winter.
Huge beautiful white blooms.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5055997

lovely blooms. These should be interesting since they could be any combo of genes from the parents. Flirtation, the named cultivar from this cross is very pretty.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5058017

This is a comment from DonnaB "That's why I call her monster. She really grows fast and blooms unbelievably. I get 150 to 200 plus blooms on her at one time. She is very heavy scented. Her parentage is unknown. All I can tell you is she is a Suaveolens hybrid. I let everyone know it is monster so they know what white suaveolens they are getting and give it plenty of room to grow. She gets 12 to 15' high and wide." DonnaB stated later than she got it as a seedling about 14 years ago. I got mine as a start from dstarz. Mine is not nearly that big but bloomed as a small plant and I am sure if you don't plant it outside and you don't live in MS it isn't going to get that big. DonnaB said it needs sun most of the day and then dabbled sun later. Course she is talking about MS not like us northerners.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5061035

It sounds lovely. Nothing quite like a brugmansia in bloom. Have you had any spider mite problems? Some people say they have those problems.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2008
12:12 PM

Post #5061990

I have a solar room on the front of my house so it is like a mini greenhouse, so the brug never went dormant, and I did end up with spider mites. In the middle of winter right after the brug started blooming I found spider mites. What floors me about them is that the start was a stick, put into new potting soil. Where in the world would spider mites come from! It was the dead of winter, one day it warmed up enough I took all the leaves off took the brug outside and sprayed it with water, which ended the spider mites. So far this spring everything is great.

This winter when I bring it in, I am going to spray them with the wilt stuff first. Lots of people seem to think this works. I hate to take them dormant, I loved the blooms during the winter, but if it happens again I will let them go dormant for the winter.

Can't stop Mother Nature I guess and I am not going to spray in my house.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5077460

on the brug forum one of the members said he uses a systemic insecticide when he brings his in otherwise he always has spider mites. I guess they are just mite candy.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5078117

That is true, from everything I have read and my friends all say that mites love brugs.
I think that is why alot of them let the brugs go dormant during the winter.
On the forum there is a lot of discussion on the wiltproof that actually might stop the mites. It puts a film on the leaves and keeps the mites from getting in or covers the mite and they can't get oxygen.
Looks like the cuttings I took are doing good so far.
New leaves are starting to appear.
Are you getting lots of rain? This is the best my flowers have looked in a long time, but we are getting moisture about every 3 to 4 days.
7oaks
Wymore, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #5079944

Lavender, you do like starting seed don't you? Must be good at it. Have you ordered any moss for your trees yet?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5092495

I saw where parks had burgs for $5.00 a stick. I have never ordered from them and I have no idea how it will turn out, but wanted to let you know.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #5096561

I do like to grow from seed, but not on a huge scale. Just a few at a time. A DG'er sent me four more pink peach brug babies.
Our rain has been incredible. I just got back from Florida and my garden is a jungle. Brought back some beach daisies to try in pots.
7oaks
Wymore, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5097553

Over here by Wymore/Liberty, we have been incredibly lucky as far as being missed by the nasty stuff. Even the real heavy rains have skirted us. Every thing has been growing like crazy this year. I should say except my cannas and elephant ears. I'm presuming they're waiting for the hot sun to warm them up.
We're leaving for a long weekend, get to see our daughters and grandsons. Wish they were closer!

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5100302

Have a great trip! You will be shocked at how fast everything is growing when you get back. My pea plants shot up to 6 feet tall. My little brug babies are growing fast.
7oaks
Wymore, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5110955

We got home to find it had rained again! Yep, things grew...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5147158

lavender4ever, I went ahead and started the Versi Peach cuttings and they have leaves, not very big but they have leaves and roots. I don't think I lost any of the cuttings at all. Now I need to find good homes for them.
I haven't taken the cuttings of monster white but need to do that, but both of those brugs, versi, and another brug I have are all putting on buds! So excited.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5154944

mine are all still babies, but growing fast. The seedlings went into gallon pots. What fertilizer do you use? I have been using miracle grow and some dynamite pellets in the pots.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #5156785

I use miracle grow, I got a bunch of those bottles you use with a hose end sprayer one year for my birthday.
I don't use the hose end sprayer but squirt the bottle into my watering jug.
Versi is just itty bitty, but she is growing a little everyday.
We got 2 inches of rain yesterday morning! I have 2 rain guages and they both said 2 inches.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5162162

We have had an incredible amount of rain here. Feels like Florida! The plants have sure loved it and I have not had to water much.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5162180

Just bought a huge sambac jasmine plant at Walmart for 11.88 . They bloom all summer, so it will be nice when my confederate jasmine goes out of bloom for the summer. The scent is very lovely! I am trying to root cuttings so if you want some let me know.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5163299

Would love to have a start. Jamine is wonderful. I have a very small gardina plant I bought on sale at the grocery store a week ago. Love those smells.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5164835

I have three jasmines. My huge confederate Jasmine 3 years old, I just got night blooming jasmine this spring and now the Sambac. It said online they like to dry between waterings a little, our weather is not cooperating much in that direction lol.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 11 May 13, 2008 1:11 AM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America