Photo by Melody

Article: How to set-up a self-sustaining aquarium: Here's mine!

Communities > Forums > Article: How to set-up a self-sustaining aquarium
bookmark
Forum: Article: How to set-up a self-sustaining aquariumReplies: 3, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4980632

What a pleasant surprise to see an article on underwater gardens! I wish I had room for a giant tank, but here's my 4-gallon hex tank on my dresser. It's a fun hobby. I used gravel, but the sand looks nice in yours. I have so many that they take the place of a filter, and I do 25% water changes once a month (or so...). My fish are healthy and reproducing like mad, like guppies will do, lol.

Thumbnail by KyWoods
Click the image for an enlarged view.

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #4980939

That is some GREAT java fern you have there. Look at how neat and tidy your set-up is. Now I'm ashamed, hehe. "goes to clean around her messy table".
Your guppies are beautiful too.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #4981010

LOL, it's only neat and tidy because I just removed two logs with more java fern on them, and changed the water--thanks to the article! I do have too many ramshorn snails. The guppies are just common "feeders". It's amazing how colorful they become when not in the crowded, dirty, unplanted tanks in the stores.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #4981022

Yup it is. That's how I always stocked my ponds, with feeder comets,lol. You can find some with the longest butterfly like tails. So nice for 12 for a 1.00!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How to set-up a self-sustaining aquarium Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Planted Aquariums windbalm 3 May 21, 2008 12:56 AM
Cleaning the substrate CaptMicha 5 May 22, 2008 12:27 AM
Lovely... Sharran 4 May 22, 2008 12:29 AM
Great Article tortoisekeeper 1 May 21, 2008 1:02 AM
where can you get the clay? yaddie 1 May 26, 2008 7:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America