Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hypertufa and Concrete: Man made rocks at Sunken Gardens

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 16, Views: 529
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #4984010

I went last weekend after not having been there for 27 years...it's a 20 minute drive...lol!
It was a free weekend to all county residents so it was hard to get good pics...so many people!
I wanted to show these to you guys who are interested in making Faux rocks and faux rock walls etc.
This place was started by draining an ancient sinkhole in the early 1900's. The same family owned it for almost 100 years. I'm not sure , but I suspect alot of this rock work was done in the 50's to 60's era and later.

First pic is near one of the larger ponds. All ponds are crete. See the "domes" in the back round.

Thumbnail by shellabella
Click the image for an enlarged view.

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #4984022

Another shot of the "domes" from a different angle.
Plants growing right on them in niches or on the crete itself.

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #4984026

This is a passage door right in one of the crete walls...it wasn't too thick looking

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #4984039

Another storage area with a wooden door. Looks like the inside is block and the crete was put on the outside...(easier to see that in person.)

This message was edited May 21, 2008 2:52 PM

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #4984047

In some places it was hard to tell the real rocks from the fake...you had to be there...lol!

This texture was on all the formations, so I think these were fake and then mortared together sorta... You can't really see, but there was a plant of some sort comming out of that hole...it's brown in the pic.

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4984055

Same area...This looks like some sort of bloom bud or seed pod comming right out of the rocks from in between. It was huge..lol ! prehistoric looking...I dunno what it is.

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #4984061

Nice little waterfall and pool...you can't see the pool, but there is my GD. She is about 34 inches tall.

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #4984067

Sorry folks, but there is more...lol!
Interesting very tall concave wall. I really liked how this was finished...stained.

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #4984079

Another cave resting area...I did not think this was painted well at all...looked much more fake than the others. The texture is what interested me on all of these

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #4984088

There are many small and larger ponds, all man made. I liked this one because there were a few connecting ones spilling into each other. Nice and shady...that place gets very hot!

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4984097

Orchid house. I liked this because of the combination of wood pergola and the wall formations.

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #4984103

A closeup of one of the "shelves" in the Orchid house.
Seems as though the drift wood is comming right out of the crete walls and shelf. I don't think it was, but it looked like it.

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #4984125

This was my favorite. It was part of a weeping wall that was old brick and faux rock. The 2 different mosses look nice together along with the creeping vine.

here is a link if you guys ever want to visit. http://www.stpete.org/sunken/

Thumbnail by shellabella

shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #4984189

There was alot more to see and touch...you bet I touched all the rocks I could so I could feel the texture...lol!
The place is quite large with many spiraling paths that lead down to the bottom area of the sink hole and then back up. There are ponds and man made rocks and walls all over.
I liked the fact that they used alot of combinations that looked good...old bricks, plus smaller real rocks and Faux rocks all together. The plants are huge...many of them been there for years and years. Lots of niches in the faux walls for plants too.
Definately worth the trip for crete and plant lovers.
I will go back when weather gets cooler this fall and on a weekday so I can take my time closely examining all the crete work.
I think the man that started this was as "possesed" as we are...about plants and crete...lol!

This message was edited May 21, 2008 2:56 PM

Thumbnail by shellabella

goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #4984598

Wow - what an impressive place! I like the way the moss, vines, plants, etc. are growing on the concrete. Makes it look like it's been there forever.
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #5054191

It really is something...especially the size of the plants that grow in that environment...

This trip inspired me to redo our pond waterfall and the surrounding area in tropicals with plenty of rocks with nooks and crannys for plants!
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 5, 2008
12:22 PM

Post #5056723

Be sure to post pictures when you're done!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America