Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Caudiciforms: VERY UGLY - Adenium Obesum - Shame on me!

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 24, Views: 489
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2008
6:46 AM

Post #4986905

Totally neglected this plant while overwintering this year. It has normally been a real attention getter. Still is, but in a whole new way. I've cut away the rotted parts (there was a lot of it) repotted and letting the wounds heal in the morning sun. It's looking pretty good to me... a strict amateur on these, so it may not make it. If it does recover, it will certainly be different. Any suggestions on caring for it would be welcomed. This is my wife's plant. I just bought her a new one at our local Cacti and Succulent Society sale, which is small, but very nice and blooming.

Thumbnail by zacattack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2008
5:42 AM

Post #4991473

Hello,

Nice job.:-) Has it leafed out yet (after the procedure)?

Best regards,

Martin
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #4994413

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the nice comment. The "surgery" was performed about 10 days ago. I left it to dry for a couple of days, then potted it, being sure there were no cut, or damaged portions under the soil. It seems to be healing very nicely, with light green tissue forming on most of the scraped surfaces.

It has not put out any new leaves. Those showing were all the life left in the poor thing when I decided to operate.

I'll post a new photo when some noticeable changes have occured.

Thanks for you interest... hope you have a good day.

Dan
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #4995673

Lots of luck with your project. Keep us posted with the progress.
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2008
4:40 AM

Post #4995999

Thank You... I'll provide photos as she improves. Gotta be positive here. This one is going to make a comeback.

Dan
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2008
11:10 AM

Post #4996347

You may wind up with a very interesting caudex.This cloud just might have a silver lining.
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #4996561

Hello Dan,

I would wait for signs of growth before watering again. And be careful not to "cook" the plant in direct sunlight (wenn temperatures are above 70 F).

Good luck with it!

Best regards,

Martin

P.S. Currently I have an Adenium arabicum with a big hole in it. I'm trying to reroot it as well.

This message was edited May 24, 2008 1:48 PM
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #4997948

Thanks gone2seed... I hope so.

Martin... Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to give it a few hours of morning sun, but the sun doesn't rise above the trees in back until mid morning. By that time it's already in the upper 70's or higher. We're in the 90's here by afternoon. I'll take extra precautions on the sunlight and watering.

Here's a photo I took a few minutes ago to show how it appears to be healing. All of the green tissue has formed within the last week or so. Looking better everyday.

Good Luck on rooting your Adenium Arabicum. Do you have any photos of it?

Thanks for your help, Dan

Thumbnail by zacattack

zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #4998007

Here's the replacement I bought for my wife. It's pretty tall and probably should be cut back, but she likes the taller look on this one, and so do I. We're going to leave it as is for a while before trying to get it to branch out.

It's looks sort of like someone sitting with their hands in their lap.

Dan

Thumbnail by zacattack

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5001265

Hello Dan,

It seems your Adenium has "callused up" nicely. I think, you won't have to worry anymore - just don't overdo the watering.:-) IMHO, Adeniums are quite tough plants which can survive even drastic "surgeries" (if all rotting parts are removed).

Three weeks ago, I did such a drastic surgery on one of my A. arabicums. To this date, the plant is still firm to the touch and the rot (fingers crossed) haven't spread. I'll take a photo and post it tomorrow.

Best regards,

Martin
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5001287

Dan, I like your replacement. I don't think you should prune it.:-) But generally I prefer "stocky" Adeniums with fat caudexes and short branches.

Best regards,

Martin
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2008
7:34 AM

Post #5029635

Hi Dan,

My healed Adenium arabicum:

Best regards,

Martin

Thumbnail by MartinDK

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2008
7:35 AM

Post #5029636

And...

Thumbnail by MartinDK

MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2008
7:39 AM

Post #5029641

And finally a specimen A. obesum which unfortunately has lost all its flowers due to strong wind. It was a nice display.:-(

Best regards,

Martin

This message was edited May 31, 2008 8:40 AM

Thumbnail by MartinDK

zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5036300

Hi Martin... Thanks for posting the photos. Good to see that your plant has made a full recovery. It's a great looking plant. Congratulations.

Add that last photo... what a beautiful specimen!

Thanks for the tips, especially about overwatering. My plant has not shown signs of new growth, but is continuing to heal, and the rot appears to be completely gone. I'll post another photo when some changes are apparent.

Hope you have a good day... Dan
ashjuniper
Austin, TX

July 9, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #5227652

I think your "damaged" plant is great---fabulous candidate for a bonsai. That caudex looks like it will develop interesting character---perfect for a bonsai treatment. Lucky you.
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #5243353

MartinDK, I am new to this forum and was impressed with what I saw in the background of the photo you posted. Do you have photos of some of your other plants posted somewhere?
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2008
9:22 AM

Post #5245487

Dlmcgrw, I have limited space inside my flat, so I need to keep my collection of caudiciform plants small. They are mainly South african and Madagascarian species.

If you want to see plant photos, you could visit my Webshots site at http://community.webshots.com/user/MartinnrDK

However, I need to update the albums with recent photos.:-)

Best regards,

Martin
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5281038

Hey everyone... looks like this one may make it. New growth is finally starting, and I'm giving a little water, which it is responding to with more growth.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and well wishes.

Dan

Martin... really enjoyed your photos... Thanks for posting them.

Thumbnail by zacattack

imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5328893

Martin, your collection is awesome. What is the plant on the right in picture #4, with the large leaves?
Also in picture #1, the one to the right with the large leaves?
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5329638

Martin, Glad I asked. Great plants, Thanks for sharing.
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5329715

Not my plants Imadigger, (obviously, LOL) but I am going to stick my neck out and say Cyphostemma juttae. This is a close relative of my plant (Cissus glabra) and one I have always wanted to have. To Martin all I can say is stunning!

Ciao, KK.
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2008
7:55 AM

Post #5336729

Thanks all.

Imadigger, yes, it's a Cyphostemma juttae.

It get's really fat with age - and has a nice peeling bark. The flowers are inconspicuous (appear in Spring) but it develops some showy red grape-like fruits.:-) It's pretty fast-growing in a hot climate (or in a green house), and the culture is easy.

Best regards,

Martin

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 8:56 AM
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2008
9:46 AM

Post #5336796

Cyphostemma juttae in the background...

Thumbnail by MartinDK

Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5343370

ya know...
400+ caudicaforms and now u make me want more lol!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America