Photo by Melody

Article: The Lawn Invaders: Violets: Those violets!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Lawn Invaders: Violets
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Lawn Invaders: VioletsReplies: 26, Views: 227
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #4987883

OMG! I hate these violets, I have patches in my grass that are huge in the spring like you said they are very pretty but I would take the grass any day, there has got to be a way to get them other than digging and those seeds that pop everywhere! I go around the yard and pull the flowers so they don't make seed and now you are telling me there is another flower that we don't see LOL They have been worse this year than ever, evey year there is one weed that takes over and the violets seem to be that weed this year even other people around here said they have spread more this year but then we do have a lot of them around here, I made new leaf beds and they are all over them!

I didn't know their leaves were resistant to resists herbicides, I'm getting ready today to try and spray what is all over my new leaf beds! A girl can try lol
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #4988648

You might try the sticker/spreader.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #4989221

Oh my gosh. I'll *gladly* trade enemies with you. You get field bindweed. I get the violets. :-)
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4989530

Field bindweed I've also got!

But I don't call that one an invasive plant, I just call it a weed!
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #4989679

It's not invasive where you are? Here it's the most aggressive thing ever. Sends roots for yards until they find a conducive place to sprout. Reproduces by seed, too. And strangles everything it can get its hands on.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #4989769

Oh, it's a highly invasive weed! The 2nd-worst thing here.

I'm just distinguishing between weeds, which no one wants, and invasive plants, which some people want - or think they want before they discover how invasive they are.
pagardener61

(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #4990728

around here violets are considered a weed, much, much worse than lily of the valley, which we don't consider a weed as it is easy to control. Violets though, its a mad rush to pull em out every spring.
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2008
5:48 AM

Post #4991480

Ah. It's sure interesting seeing what is troublesome for people in other places. Thanks.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #4992476

LTilton, yes, I'm going to check into that sticker/spreader, whatever that is lol
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #4993000

A small amount of dish detergent, like 1/4 t, will serve.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #4995165

Thanks :) I did some spraying yesterday and will again next time it's calm outside, I'll try that.
ownedbycats
Southern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5007182

I must be the minority - I love these.
warrendavisx
Haddonfield, NJ

May 27, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5007364

Triclopyr (found in the Weed-B-Gon for Chickweed formulation) will do the trick. Usually works in a single application. Be sure temps are in the 60s or higher. Here are the environmental issues re triclopyr as found at Wikipedia:
Triclopyr breaks down in soil with a half-life of between 30 and 90 days. One of the byproducts of breakdown (trichloro-pyridinol) remains in the soil for up to a year. Triclopyr degrades rapidly in water. It remains active in decaying vegetation for about 3 months. The compound is slightly toxic to ducks (LD50 = 1698 ppm) and quail (LD50 = 3000 ppm). It has been found non-toxic to bees and very slightly toxic to fish (Rainbow trout LC50 (96 hrs.) = 117 ppm).

Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5007589

Interesting about the fall non-opening flower!!
Thanks for the info.

And thanks to warrendavisx for the scoop on Triclopyr.
Fitsy
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5009970

Sooo, what's a stick/spreader? I have lots of trouble with nutgrass. It comes with the wood chip mulch. I use Killzall (sp?) I had to dig lily of the valley up and pull out each piece last spring. Now, I see more -it's around my azaelas - so it's difficult to dig up. If you have any suggestions, let me know. I don't know how "bad" Killzall is, but it's the only thing I could find that will actually kills the nutgrass. I also have violets-just thinking about crawling all over the lawn makes me hurt and feel tired. On the bright side, I have lots of beautiful peonies, s. iris, g. iris and annual poppies blooming!:)
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5010093

A sticker/spreader is just an additive to a spray formula that holds it on the leaves longer.
kittysue
Fairborn, OH

May 27, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5010353

I agree with "ownedbycats", I enjoy them. They are all over my backyard and on the slope down to the creek area. I once tried to get rid of them, and figured out the best method is to dig them up and shake the soil from the roots. Last year I made a spot for them so I could have a small display of only violets when they bloomed, even though the plants aren't mature the display this spring was awesome! I'm looking forward to next spring.

Before I read up on lawns, I despised the violets. Now that I've learned about soil structure and fertility, I don't mind them in the yard. I have HEAVY clay soil, as a result the yard is 1/2 different types of grass and 1/2 different weeds like plaintain and many others. Encouraging the violets to join in the competition isn't going to do any harm.

I've noticed that regular mowing keeps the violets in the partial/full shaded areas from spreading as quickly as they would left to their own devices. Though full sun seems to produce a smaller and lighter foliage color, requiring the mower to be lowered to get the same effect... which is cutting off the blooms before the seeds have a chance to develop.
Brightfire
Peoria, IL

May 27, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5010846

Okay, I am here to join in with "ownedbycats" and "kittysue", I adore them, as one of my favorite flowers. Have since childhood, when we had a wooded ravine full of them(looked like fairy enchanted to me).

Only learned this year they are a weed and the concept of battling them like a plague is something I could never imagine. Last Spring I took one really good sized one and put it in a bed all nicely peat-ed, fertilized, and watered along with the rest. It was so pretty that I transplanted two more in the fall into beds. And I can hear, the,"Oh, brother, is she gonna regret..." (LOL)

I believe you said 6 ", well, I just looked out the slider and my gal, with the full year of TLC has got to be a foot tall and wide and we are at the start of this season's growth and she must of had 40 blooms or more that lasted for weeks with the tulips and daffodils. I love her heart-shaped leaves, the brightness to her green, the way she handles the heat, the perfect round mound and that gloriously deep purple...although I have already located white and the purple and white stripe while visiting relatives further South :-)

LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5011291

Many people are very happy with viola odorata, which seems to be less invasive and has a nice fragrance, besides.
kmm44
Dayton, OH

May 27, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #5011897

Thanks for the tip on Weed-Be-Gone for chickweed, which we also have. Getting some tomorrow. I don't use chemicals on my flowerbeds. But since we almost lost our lawn to a service, we don't have a lawn service anymore. Sometimes the situation gets desperate. The violets are pretty, but not in the lawn, flower beds and EVERYWHERE ELSE!! The funny thing is that wild strawberries have choked the violets out of the bed they originated in. They came attached to the roots of some ostrich ferns my mother-in-law gave me 30 yrs ago. I thought they were so pretty and didn't take steps to control them--big mistake.
About 7 yrs ago I actually planted some red violets in a shade bed in the back. I checked them constantly to make sure they were not spreading. Last year I slacked off and BOOM! They are partying with the wild violets and some white violets from the neighbors' bed behind me. Now we have a tri-violet back lawn!
I have pulled thousands of the wild violets from my flowerbeds and they just keep on coming. I have tried to discourage the thousands more babies by running a toothed cultivator over them to uproot them early and it seems to be helping.
I'll let you know if the W-B-G works.
JenT
Columbus, OH

June 9, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5076191

Speaking of "invasive plants" vs. "weeds", I'm thinking columbine (at least the lavender ones!) are invasive plants! I've about had it with mine - they pop up all over. I even cut down the stalks after the flowers are done so the seeds don't go everywhere and they still show up places they don't belong the next spring! I've purchased other color columbine, hoping at least to have a nice show in spring, but they're not the ones that go everywhere, just the lavender (So far, anyway!) They're not even a particularly pretty plant when the flowers are done. I chop them way down after flowering because the plant gets so scraggly and ugly and at least then it grows back into a green bushy plant, but frankly, I think these things aren't far removed from being a plain old WEED, just like oxalis! lol
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5076486

I agree about columbine, though I do love them, they sprout all over everywhere - except in the bed where they belong!

I don't grow the wild kind, the orange and yellow, because they are alleged to be even worse - also hybridizing with the other varieties.
grubbypaws
Emmaus, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #7250790

I brought wild violets into my garden with my parents' lilies. I was delighted with the way they spread like ground cover, grew up to 10" high and prevented most weeds. But after the first year the leaves became yellow-speckled and pebbly, and there were no more flowers. A local flower place suggested the problem was either too much water or not enough food, but I can't seem to make a difference. This summer I dug most of them out because they became so ugly. But if anyone can help me, I'd LOVE to redeem the ones that will come up next spring!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8468653

In my innocence some 44 years ago I planted two or three violets. It has been an unending battle ever since. They have just finished the "first" bloom. I have even hired people to help me dig them out. Just seems to cultivate them and I have more. If they didn't choke out all my desirable plants I could live peacefully with them. This morning my backyard is a field of red poppies. Magical.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8469742

Lou, I would love to see a picture of those poppies!
Glorianne
Screven, GA

April 4, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8471292

Me too.They won't grow in my yard ( south GA) so far in 5 years, so I admire on photos. !!
gacornhusker
Snellville, GA

April 5, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8474694

I have been fighting them by digging for 30+ years and it is losing battle here in the South. They are not all that easy to dig either. I do spot spray with Weed-B-Gone but one application is not enough as our garden experts here will tell you - they may even still try to come back to haunt you the next year. Another almost impossible to kill "green plant" is ground ivy abd it does choke out grass.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Lawn Invaders: Violets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A never ending battle cathy4 7 Apr 4, 2011 1:12 PM
Interesting Cleistogamous Flowers Meredith79 1 May 22, 2008 9:40 PM
And to Think... WhatsTHAT 2 May 26, 2008 2:17 AM
I'd like violets instead of grass! JenT 9 Aug 22, 2011 5:49 AM
Thanks for the warning! pixilated 0 May 27, 2008 2:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America