Iowa Round Up 2008 Summer pictures # 1

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Here you go for posting flower pictures this summer.
I will start a new thread any time this gets long.

Round Up 2008 pictures are here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/843090/

Here's one to start us off.
My first dwarfs blooming on Monday.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

My man on the moon from Dream Gardens. Thanks Wanda and Sue for letting me tag along!

Thumbnail by daltri_z5
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I snagged a bunch of iris from the DG roundup this year, they are starting to grow. Maybe next year I'll have some great blooms, too! I have a few plain purples and some neat little yellow miniatures that I didn't even know I had, neither bloomed last year but this year they look great!

I took the rest of the week off from work and have been busy clearing and dividing the overgrown "side yard." I didn't have a chance to do that before this year's RU, but took the extras to work and there was a rush in the parking lot - LOL! Amazing how people will grab free things, us plant snobs want everything identified and specific growing parameters. I said to my supervisor today, "That is as yellow daylily, but it does not rebloom" and she said "Oh, who cares!"

I think a relative of Nessie might find their way into my side yard eventually. Hopefully my pickup truck will be big enough to transport him/her home.

Elizabeth

(Zone 5a)

where from?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I know a few of the iris came from Wanda, but not sure where the others came from - they were bagged and did not have names, but did have very nice pictures on them!

(Zone 5a)

no no - Nessie's cousin

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

If anyone wants some no-name iris for background filler, I have plenty.
These came with the house ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I was thinking of Dream Gardens - I think that is where Wanda bought Nessie from? I'm not even going to take the trip out there until after I have some money in the bank account. Or at least room on my credit card : P

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

The yellow lady's slipper orchids are blooming their heads off:

Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

brings back memories of the pink lady slippers we would see in my younger days back in MN.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Very cool, Don! :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Very cool. I've heard there were native orchids to grow in our zone but I've never seen any.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Don, will have to look and see if mine are blooming. Its been so cold here at nights that it makes you wonder if spring will jump right into summer.

Maxine

(Zone 5a)

Don -
When is the next prime time you would like garden visitors (not the deer - the DG'ers)?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Colette... actually I'd say soon, like in the next week for primetime.
don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
(Zone 5a)

Would there be a good time this weekend to see the azaleas and other new blooming things?

Or wait until next weekend for prime blooms....?

This message was edited May 23, 2008 5:37 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The Iris in the brown bags were from prettypeony. I got enough to plant all along my shop.

Picture;
Unnamed Iris from 2007 Iowa RU.
Bernie

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Another group from 2007.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This came from Wanda last fall.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Colette... this Sunday AM or Monday AM or PM I will be here.

Thumbnail by zonedenial
(Zone 5a)

I will send the word out after talking to Wanda, Judi, and Diann to set a time.

Wanda! Don't be giving Bernie dandelions ;) Tsk tsk.

zonedenial! Awesome Cyps. My parviflorum, acaule, arietinum, reginae, and kentuckiense are all just now beginning active growth. Still waiting to receive the acaule alba I ordered last fall. Getting a little nervous that they misplaced my order right about now.

I keep forgetting to take photos of some of the concrete that Wanda made me buy. It was her fault. Wouldn't be my fault!

That moon looks grrrrrrrrrrrrreat! I liked it when you first bought it but I like it even better seeing it in an actual garden setting with green all around it!

(Zone 5a)

Don - Judi and I would like to plan to be there by 11:00 on Monday if that is OK with you.
I will put out a message for everyone else. (no response yet from Diann or Wanda).
Wanda's daughters surprised her and drove to see her, so she may not want to break away from hanging out with them, I think.
See you Monday?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Colette - can Andy and I tag along too? He is getting back from his kayak trip in the wee hours tomorrow - seeing stuff on "dry land" would probably be much appreciated : )

Elizabeth

(Zone 5a)

Would you like to meet us there? He is close to Iowa City -- or meet us in North Liberty at the Gas Station just off of I380?
10:45 at that stop.

This message was edited May 24, 2008 10:23 PM

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

11 on Monday would be ducky... hopefully will be between storms! Lauren; you actually grow acaule?? I've not even tried because I've heard it's almost impossible to keep the soil acid enough in our neck of the woods (and I think our hot summers finish it off).

Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Those are just gorgeous!! :)

Diann

Yup! But don't get overly impressed yet as this is only year two. A person isn't said to be able to grow acaule until they have had their plants for at least 3 years for many reasons other than a soil pH of 4.5. I'm finding maintaining the appropriate soil pH to be the least of my headaches with these plants. I use a Bluelab truncheon meter and test weekly. Out of all the plants I grow, I admittedly am jumping through the most hoops for the acaule from both a time and expense standpoint and I can assure you this says a lot since I grow some highland Neps here complete with air cooling systems. The acaules I have were a "gift" from a person who organized a plant rescue in a desperate move to preserve dna from a particular site. The entire area from which these plants came has now been obliterated. He wanted those plants spread out amongst the most possible growers for obvious reasons.... most people kill them within about... oh say a few weeks of transplanting them. And that is exactly why I really didn't want this "gift". If you are ever in my area, please get a hold of me and come and see what I've done to keep them alive this long with no guarantee they will make it past year three. And, those acaule are now going to be getting draped or bagged to keep the genotype pure because of the acaule alba I ordered. They were already caged to keep the deer from eating them. If you saw what I created over here in an attempt to keep these plants alive, you would be embarrassed for me so keep in mind they were a "gift" and we all know gifts get special treatment.

For what it's worth, I specifically ordered the acaule alba because it is supposedly even touchier than the straight species. I'm going to experiment with those plants from tissue culture. TC plants are expendable and will hopefully help me learn more about how best to keep the "gift" acaule alive here where I am growing. It's the local genotype they're trying to preserve on the "gift" plants and you hit it on the head, meeting the cultural requirements is virtually impossible on any acaule outside of its original ecosystem.

First trick so far- get a permit to transplant at least five other species that were growing with the acaule at the original site and try to keep those alive too- oh fun. Ten companion species would be preferable. I have six. Attempt to re-create the community. Most crucial trick- inoculate the soil with the correct endomycorrhiza. The mycorrhiza is different from species to species and chances for success aren't going to be all that great if one can't provide the full range of basidiomycete fungi the acaule need. Without that basidiomycete fungi, the acaule have virtually no disease resistance.

So Don, wanna try? There are conservationinsts out there who would love to "gift" someone like you who already has the fear of God in them the next time a site is going to be obliterated. Come on, be a sport... say yes...misery loves company.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Lauren... um, no... in addition to knowing I'd kill it, the other reason I don't want to try with acaule is that it doesn't grow near here so I'd probably be buying it commercially, and would not be 100% sure it wasn't ripped off from the woods, so I'd feel doubly bad when I killed it. I've been getting into some of the cyp hybrids just because I know they're TC . I have been this year messing around with setting up some fancy-doodle micro-environments for special plants. The plain old yellow ladyslipper does great here; I started with one plant and now have about 35. Here's Emil, a hybrid:
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial

Quick fast! Somebody get me a fainting couch! Love that Emil! I have no Cyp hybrids here. Maybe sometime down the road I'll have to try a few.

Yup, I won't buy orchids unless I know the source is reputable. No way no how am I going to contribute to that nightmare.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Emil is stunning!

There was some ugly weather afoot last night ~ everyone OK?

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Tornado near Iowa Falls, about halfway between Wanda and me; not a bit of rain or wind here; at 10 PM it was still 75 degrees out and very still (unusual for being on a lake; we always have high winds as a normal).

(Zone 5a)

All is well with the Cedar Rapids area DG'ers hardly a russtle of wind -- just lots of rain.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Still waiting to hear from a college roommate who farms 2 miles from Parkersburg, IA. Her DD and family live in town. I'm praying they're ok but phones are down and I haven't heard yet.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

More of Iowa's crazy weather due thru here for the next couple of days. Rain is always rough on my iris and I'm expecting a few visitors this weekend. (My iris garden was featured in the local paper yesterday.)

And Equilibrium was the maniac collecting all the cement we could jam into the vehicles--I only bought a little 14 inch fairy!

Don, your delicate woodland flowers are outstanding! Thank you for sharing....

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Very cool Wanda! I wish I could tour your gardens now that everything's in full swing. I hope the weather is cooperative.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

We'll see how many blooms are left after the next 2 days of rain before my Open Garden. Could use some sun & warmth here in Iowa....

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No kidding, same here. Right now we have a tornado watch. More rain just started ~ I could just bawl.....

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh well, it does make pulling weeds easier.... *sniff* *sniff*

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

It DOES make pulling weeds easier! That creeping charlie does not stand a chance when the ground is saturated like this.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images