Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Invaders: Virginia Creeper: Virginia Creeper and the Ivy League

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Virginia Creeper
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: Virginia CreeperReplies: 1, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KGVA
King George, VA

May 22, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #4989574

I'm surprised there are so many who hate Virginia Creeper so much. The Ivy League colleges in the northeast have buildings that are covered by Virginia Creeper, not Ivy. (I guess nobody wanted to call it the "Creeper League"!) The buildings at Cambridge and Oxford Universities in England are also covered by Virginia Creeper. Search for Virginia Creeper on the school websites if you want to confirm that. There are thousands of photos of the red fall colors of the vines on buildings of these colleges around.
We have a lot of Virginia Creeper in this part of Virginia, and I like the plant, though it does grow pretty fast, and can cover a lot of area if you just let it go for years. I generally don't have any problem controlling it, and find that a once a year removal, done by grabbing in with my hands and pulling it out of trees and bushes where it has begun to grow. I usually do this while wearing no shirt, and have a great deal of skin contact with the vine while doing so. I have experienced no sensitivity at all to it, which amazes me considering that contact with poison ivy sends me for repeated visits to the doctor, the slightest touch of a leaf, branch, or trunk of a sycamore tree leaves me with a huge welt, and contact with grasses such as blue grass, fescue, crab, and bermuda give me a terrible rash. (The one situation where I have trouble controlling Virginia Creeper is where it grows right along side of Poison Ivy -- a common occurrence here.) No one else if my family has a problem with Virginia Creeper either, and I haven't found anyone I have talked with in the area that has had a reaction to it. Most sources I have seen speak of sensitivity to Virginia Creeper as being rare. Maybe all the people that have that sensitivity have found this website. I have seen people mistake Virginia Creeper for Poison ivy, but not the other way around, so doubt that there is a mistake in identification for all these people . The spokes of a wheel arrangement of the leaves with each pointing in a different direction around the circle as well as the blue color of its berries make Virginia Creeper pretty easy to distinguish from Poison Ivy. Perhaps we are just seeing an increased sensitivity to a variety of items in out population. Thirty years ago, peanut allergies were pretty much unheard of, but now thousands of people are allergic.
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #4989779

I think raspberry actually looks a lot more like PI than VC does, but the thorns give it away.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Virginia Creeper Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Liked the Virginia Creeper article sallyg 20 Mar 27, 2008 4:11 PM
Planted it CompostR 0 Apr 15, 2008 12:40 PM
I itch just looking at it! susansmith 1 Jun 7, 2009 4:04 AM
I Hate Virginia Creeper!!!!! bivbiv 9 Sep 24, 2010 6:25 PM
Creeper by John Updike JiminRingoes 0 Sep 20, 2010 4:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America