-
AuthorContent
ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2008
11:59 AM

Post #4991842

Hello - does anyone know of some tropical looking plants that are hardy to zone 6? The only two I have found are Japanese Hardy Banana, musa basjoo, and aralia, tetrapanax papyrifer. I know there must be some more out there. Any ideas?
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #4994638

Chinese parasol tree is pretty tropical looking and is doing well in St Louis.
Huge sculpted leaves. I've got a couple of them.
They are just now leafing out.
I coppiced them to the ground the first couple years to accentuate the tropical-looking foliage.
But after a couple years, I seemed to never get around to it.
Now they're 10ft tall. But still a very tropical look.
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #4997014

Ericabelle, I went out this morning and took a couple photos of the parasol tree,
so you can see what it looks like. It's just leafing out, so leaves aren't very big yet.
But they are nice, big tropical looking leaves.
And I think they don't look as tattered as the hardy banana does in our area.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #4997020

Here's a closer picture of the leaf shape.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #4998546

Wow - that is beautiful! I will have to put that on my "To Buy" list!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5002764

Cannas. You have to mulch heavily but as long as you do that then they will survive.
7oaks
Wymore, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5022411

Ericabelle, you need to check this site out, if you haven't already, always makes me day dream. http://www.plantdelights.com/ You can get a catalog from them also. I have ordered from them. Pricey, but you get nice plants. Mine wouldn't fit in any 2 inch pots, that's for sure.
But in your zone, you can actually grow a lot of these plants. Do you mainly have full sun? Good Luck!
ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5038444

7oaks - that is a GREAT website! I ordered a catalog right away. Yes, I mainly have full sun. We just bought this house, and it has lots of trees in the backyard; but they are pretty evenly spaced. In the "wilder" part of the yard, there are shady wildflowers growing next to sunny wildflowers; so I am hoping that means I will be able to grow just about anything! =) The main drawback of the yard is the dreaded RED CLAY!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5038481

Lots of compost will help with the clay. :~)
7oaks
Wymore, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #5042356

Also, lots of plants will tolerate clay.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #5050000

I think cannas look tropical as well as moonflowers and my hollyhocks are very tall and lush with great big leaves. They look tropical to me. Crinum lily also.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5053306

First time I saw a small hosta I thought it was a tropical house plant.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #5055912

What about hardy hibiscus? Hosta, sum and substance has leaves large enough to pass for an elephant ear if you didn't know better.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5057053

There are a few with larger leaves than Sum and Substance. T-rex,Eliator and Elinators new sister plant Victory. Trpouble with the giant hosta group is many of those have floppy leaves that the wind tears up.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5072514

Sum and Substance seems to stand up to the wind. I live on a top of a hill without any wind breaks for atleast a mile to the south and the hosta sum and substance just goes with the flow.

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5193649

Musa Lasiocarpa should be hardy for you especially if you mulch it. I have Elephant Ears, the plain green ones, that have come back for the 3rd year now. I just mulch them very heavy in the fall. Passiflora 'Incarnata' should be hardy for you. Some of the other Passifloras may be also.

I also have the dreaded red clay and I finally had dirt hauled in for my garden. After 6 dump truck loads though I think I will just amend the heck out of it small parts at a time.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5203998

dylan, that sounds like the thing to do, just haul in better dirt and amend it (lot less work than amending clay and rocks). Hi Ericabelle, there's another EE, Colocasia Pink China, hybridized by DG's own bwilliams. (Brian Williams- briansbotanicals.net) And there's amorphophallus (voodoo lilies)... they would be hardy for you and very unique looking... kinda palm tree like. There's also castor beans, an annual but easy to grow from seed and they have a red/maroonish hue to them. Why don't you just haul em in and out with the seasons, like me and Happ? lol oo, look Happ, Chinese Parasol Tree... Weerobin, I'm going to have to look that one up!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5205955

AuntB I am not looking up anything else...LOL.
At this rate I had better start hauling things inside for the winter because I won't be done by December...LOL, so many tropicals and such a short season.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2008
10:24 PM

Post #5209079

No, don't start that yet, let's take a day to sit and reflect... THEN start planning the fall haul. Everything is getting lush and full...Ahhh, Summer!
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5225148

I have China Doll and it is doing great and multiplying.
josette63
Savannah, MO

July 11, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5241956

Hey ericabelle, Hey you tried Crapemyrtle? I believe it
will be hardy to your zone? And someone else
mentioned Altheas, I think. They are wonderful plants. I have them
here in NW Mo. No problems with them thus far.
Steph
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #5243085

Forgot about Crapemyrtles they are very tropical looking.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #5245010

Don't they die to the ground in zone 5? They are eye-catching when in bloom... Dylan, please tell us bout your multiplying China Doll.
josette63
Savannah, MO

July 13, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5249014

crapemyrtles in zone 5 now there's a notion.
ericabelle is in zone 6b. She was wanting ideas
on tropical looking plants for her zone so i suggested
crapemyrtles. wish i could grow them in zone 5
with no trouble. alas i cannot.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5261051

I've seen them around here Steph. It grows back fast and is covered in purplish/maroonish color blooms... maybe it's not crape myrtle.. Zone 6b, sorry about that.. How about Gunnera? Big leaves and likes cool roots, beside a pond or foundation. I think it's zone 6. I've seen palm trees in Zone 6, not sure what kind. Rose of Sharon, look tropical, a hibiscus family member and they come in different bloom colors.. There might be one with variegated foliage.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #5261703

Don't forget Passiflora.
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5264137

Go to Brian's Botanicals and I saw 17 different tropicals that are hardy. Some were hardy all the way to Zones 2 & 3. I don't know anything about this place but might be worth a try.

http://www.briansbotanicals.net/catalog/
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5267948

Dylan, I can vouch for Brian. Both green thumbs up! I've ordered from him numerous times and I visited his place last summer. He's quite a plantaholic and he hybridizes with the specific purpose of creating plants winter hardy to zone 6. Very nice young man, even took me over to see his mom's yard.. He's a regular on the Aroid and Tropical plants forum and you'll see him on other forums as well. Hey, I haven't checked out the RU thread for a couple days, are you going to make it this fall? Got a pic of that China doll plant? Passiflora, yes, good one Pepper, I can't remember the name of the hardy one... Incarnata??
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5268041

As a matter of fact I do. I planted this in Oct when it was given to me and knew it wouldn't make it because of how late it was. I was amazed at it coming back this year. I guess the winter was so mild it made it ok. I'm hoping for another mild winter. The guy said it was 'China Doll' and hardy. It is pretty with its little pink center.

Thumbnail by dylancgc

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #5268129

Here is another.

Thumbnail by dylancgc

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5268420

Anyone know of a good source for Musa or Passiflora seeds? The place I was getting them from has changed hands and they are closed for the time being while the change is made.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5271453

It is Passiflora x incarnata. One good culitvar that I just planted is Incense. Hardy to 6a. I'm 5b so as soon as I get some more mulch I will mulch it. There are other hardy cultivars out there too.

I know of some places for seeds but my mind is blank at the moment.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #5278890

How about Thompson Morgan or Parks Seed? I've ordered nanner seed from them before, might have to check out the watchdog here at DG for the passies, I did order some from Annie's Seed, (I think it was Annie's)... China Doll... It's a colocasia? At first I thought maybe it was the Pink China I mentioned above... I've compared, it isn't... here's a pic of P.China, it is hardy to zone 6.. I have an extra pup, I can bring to the RU for ya. LMK-(I'd better start my Fall RU swap list, soon) I think we're going to have a big turn out this year.

Thumbnail by AuntB

dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5307784

So is mine Pink China or China Doll?

Where is the RU this fall?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5309555

RU is at my grandma's in Odessa. I have threads started for it. :~)
ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5309588

Wow, those are all great suggestions! Is the China Doll hardy to zone 6?

ALTHEAS! That is one plant we have! We just bought this house in February, and there is a porch all the way across the front with 5 large, tree-shaped altheas in front! I waited with lots of anticipation for the bloom, and it turned out to be gorgeous. Altheas seem to do great in this zone and in the terrible clay soil here. I will have to find a picture of these - I know I took some...
ericabelle
West Plains, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5309605

Found it!

Thumbnail by ericabelle

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5310159

Dylan, yours must be China Doll, there is no pink stem or pink "dot" on the leaf like there is on the one I posted so ours are different. Ericabelle, THAT is beautiful... yes, I must have some. I've seen them all my life but until you see the blooms up close... Dylan, hope you make it to the RU!
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #5322009

Part of my stems are pink, especially on the babies and there is a pink dot in the center. I'll try to get better pics to post. Mine multiplies somewhat like the Black Magic and Illustris, they have runners with new plants at the ends. My regular green EE multiply from the bulb. My dot is not as dark so it may be China Doll. I think the person I got it from said China Doll. Whichever it is I really like it and it's nice to have another "tropical" I don't have to dig up.

Yes they are hardy in Zone 6.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5332892

Might be same plant... it gets the runners too. Here in Zone 5, I keep em potted, once I get my "berm" built, I'll experiment with some.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America