Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Planing seed in zone 5a - Late Start

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RIandRI
Brookfield, IL

May 23, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #4994007

I want to plant some flowers. I can't purchase bedding plants, I need to start from seed. I know it is really late. I am in Zone 5A - USA and I have some areas that are:
-1/2 sun, 1/2 shade
-Full sun
-Under pine trees

If possible, they should be able to handle a week of vacation in the summer once they are established.
Any suggestions?

This message was edited May 23, 2008 2:09 PM
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #4994116

RlandRI,
any perennials, annuals, full sun,zinnias, marigolds, cosmos, sunflowers, you can plany dahlia tubars, morning glories, sweet potatoes vines, it's a little late, but it doesn't matter, it's been pretty chilly here. You would be alright with those. Annual batchlor buttons...hmmm trying to think of more. Some of those may do ok 1/2 sun too.
Pine trees is hard for me, anyone??? I would plant periwinkle there, lol.
RIandRI
Brookfield, IL

May 23, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4994725

Periwinkle - why lol?

I have some large white hostas under the evergreens that are doing great. A quick web search makes me think the periwinkle would try to take over.

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #4994746

I wasn't to sure what grows under pines, but I know periwinkle will , very WELL.
I'm one of those folks that likes it, but if hostas grow there , I would plant them.
What about Columbine? Ferns? Impaitients? Ooo, will Caladiums grow under pine too. Sorry so many questions.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America