AuthorContent
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #4997724

Oops, I meant "Tomatoes"

My neighbor says her mom used overlap newspapers around her tomato plants to keep the weeds away. I wondered about shredding newspaper instead. I know youre not supposed to use the shiny, colored ads, just black and white.

Pros and Cons?

This message was edited May 24, 2008 2:34 PM
fremar
Comer, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #4997731

I use shredded paper as mulch on everything.I get 2-3 trash bags a week from work so I have plenty to use.Don't use it directly against the plants as it tends to mat and water runs off therefore none gets directly to the roots
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #5002050

I used shredded newspaper last year with great luck. My watering was by drip, underneath the paper mulch, so having it mat down was actually a good thing--kept the water in, and prevented quite as much blowing around.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2008
5:19 AM

Post #5003875

I mulch around my tomatoes and everything else in the garden with grass clippings. That keeps moisture in the soil, keeps weeds down, reduces the soil temp in summertime, keeps the garden from being muddy after a rain, and it improves the soil when I turn it under in the fall.

I'm sure newspapers or most any kind of mulch would do the same thing.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5004621

Mulching is new for me; the way my Dad and his Dad and so on, was to keep the weeds hoe'd out. Its not about being lazy...it's about working smarter I think.

I like the idea of grass cuttings better! thanks!
noman
Bluffton, IN

May 26, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5005163

Be careful if you use a lot of chemicals on your grass. Fresh chemicals on the grass might not make the tomatoes happy.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5005298

That's right about the lawn chemicals. Also, people in some parts of the country wouldn't want to use grass clippings as garden mulch because that would bring Bermuda Grass seeds or other pesky things to their garden.

I don't use any lawn chemicals and have no invasive seeds in my grass, so I don't have those problems.

My favorite trick is to catch my grass clippings in the spring, like now, when the grass is lush and green. I put those fresh clippings directly on the garden 3 or 4 inches deep, in paths and between rows, and I keep them a couple of inches away from the veggies.

About a day later, that fresh mulch gets so hot I can't hold my hand under it. The heat kills emerging crabgrass and weeds, and it cooks the weed seeds in the soil. It makes the garden real easy to maintain for the rest of the season.

Now - if it will only quit raining for a while so I can do that. lol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America