Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Secure tree climbing: great

Communities > Forums > Article: Secure tree climbing
bookmark
Forum: Article: Secure tree climbingReplies: 16, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2008
10:20 AM

Post #4999978

Jean-Jacques you always write about such interesting topics!! Be careful coming down those trees ... :-)
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5000206

This is a great article. Trees were made for climbing. How expensive is the equipment?

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 25, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #5000477

Thanks for the attention, Lady, I am careful when I get up there, travel around the tree and come back down. Encounter with local wasps is a main danger, they are fast and carry a nasty venom.
Ian, I agree 100%, trees are for climbing not for logging...The equipment is rather expensive but you can keep it for quite a time if you treat it right and as your life depends on it it is never too expensive...anyway, a basic equipment would comprise a saddle (200 US$), 120 feet climbing rope (98$), self-made safety line (rope, pulley, biners; 50$), helmet (60$), throw bags and throw line (40$), a couple biners, some straps, glasses, bark protector etc (80$) add it up...or you can get a kit for around 500 bucks at newtribe (www.newtribe.com).

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5001867

Good article, JJ!
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5006654

Mate, I will be looking into it. You have showed me something I want to do, but didn't know till now. Thank you very much JJ.
Ian

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 27, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5008497

Mate, I am ready to teach you anytime, you have such great trees down under!
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
5:35 AM

Post #5013797

Yeah. I'll be falling out of some real beauties. There is a huge mulberry I want to coppice & another big leaf-privet that has to come down completely. I'll learn to do it safely now.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 28, 2008
6:08 AM

Post #5013860

It may be possible to follow some course with Australian arborists, I guess there must be some association in Sydney. Now climbing safely is one thing but climbing and using sharp tools is another level, watch your fingers nerd, we all need them on your keyboard!
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
10:17 AM

Post #5014051

Yeah. I know. What could possibly go wrong hanging from a tree whilst using a chainsaw? As it happens, I am copicing a smaller mulberry tommorrow so I can get some practice from the ground. If you don't hear from me in a while, I'll be at the hospital. :)

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 28, 2008
10:50 AM

Post #5014100

The nice thing with the chainsaw compared to handsaw is that the noise will cover the howling...Actually I would say that the problem when up in the tree is to find the right position for working so you can see precisely what you are doing and where you are cutting as you have to do it properly in order for the tree to heal correctly. You also have to use real sharp tools, I bought myself professional pruning saws made in Japan (Nakamura and ARS are very good) and recently purchased saw-proof gloves and cuffs which already saved me from a few scars...
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5014784

OK. Well, I won't be getting into the big trees till spring or so. The Privet has to come down somehow & if you look at the cost of hiring professionals & compare it to the fun you are having, it makes sense to learn the skills & get the equipment.
Btw, I forgot to send a seed order all week, I've been that flat out. I'll do it now so you can put your new equipment to work. The Spathodea would go OK here you reckon? It looks nice.
Ian

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 28, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5015574

Hmm, loggin a tree may be fun for the first hour but if you ever crush your neighbor's glasshouse it won't be fun anymore...As they say in the song 'careful with that axe Eugene!' (was is the Grateful Dead?).
Spathodea is fantastic and should do fine. I'll try to pick the last Bunchosia seeds for you.
How come is the Aloe article so short? Still working on it?
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5030460

The aloe article is barely started mate. The first tree is down & it was Pink Floyd who did that song. Sorry I've been absent but I got heaps done over the last few days. Funny how it works. I started off needing to rearrange my potting set up because I am getting overwhelmed with young plants of different types. I wound up rearranging my whole home, inside & out & am still repainting furniture. Shouldn't have started in the first place I guess but a lot of plants are happier now at least.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 31, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5031656

I see. After a visit to the website herbsarespecial I started drinking aloe infusion, pretty good. Busy man! How can you do all this plus working and writing for DG? Do you only sleep an hour a night?
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5032661

I do have some insomnia but I am just on a mission atm. You know how it is. I enjoy most things I do so its just living. How do you find time to get out to the wilds? That's what I'd like more of.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 1, 2008
6:54 AM

Post #5034384

Most of my missions ARE out in the wild, I go back home only to type on the computer and pack seeds, I cannot stay too long indoor before getting nervous and shaky;))
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #5046906

OK. Fair enough. Maybe that's my problem.
You know JJ, its just stopped pouring rain now for the first time since June began. Outside a brief fall at the full moon, we barely got a drop in May but from the moment winter started & the moon changed, its been bucketing down. Wierd hey?
I've been noticing a very obvious correlation between rain & the moon. I mean clear as a bell, which makes me wonder how I missed it before & why it isn't more commonly observed. It is also seems fair to say that seeds basically do not germinate during waning moons at all. That is proving to be the big obstacle to my experiment & probably why seeds planted during waning moons result in weaker plants. I doubt its tidal forces though, like some say because most seeds are not planted in the ground. I reckon seeds naturally follow the moon themselves & sprout when rain is more reliable. It makes more sense that plants have evolved lunar responsiveness than merely the moon working a one-sided process.
What do you think?
Ian

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Secure tree climbing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What an inspiration! gloria125 10 May 26, 2008 12:56 PM
Well done doccat5 1 May 25, 2008 6:36 PM
Natural tree climbing Potagere 5 Dec 14, 2008 5:10 AM
Safe climbing KyWoods 4 May 28, 2008 6:15 AM
Where's the Adventure if it's "Secure"? mamoriah 1 May 28, 2008 5:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America