Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: How do you pick a really sweet Vidalia onion??

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 6, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5001728

I have a question about Vidalia onions...

I've had some vidalias that were really sweet, and then today I baked some vidalias that were quite large, but not nearly as sweet. Are all vidalia onions the same???

How do you pick a really sweet one?

...Being from the South, I should already know the answer to this... :- /

~~ Glenda
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

May 25, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5002303

I've heard (and so far haven't disproven it) that the flatter ones (not so tall from top to bottom) are sweeter than the rounder ones. I'm not sure whether that's in the particular genetics of the individual onion plant, or whether the same conditions that make for growing sweeter onions also cause them to grow in a flatter shape.
I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #5077454

I fear the mad science biology teams have improved the vidalias just like they have made other things to ship and seem fresh longer. Guess the only way to find a really good one is buy one and taste it. I quit buying them because I think they are not as good as they were ten years ago. My sweet choice now is an onion called Candy. In addition to being sweet they keep reasonably well and are easier to grow. I do not think you will find Candy onions anyplace but a farmers market.
saltmarsh
Water Valley, MS
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5216095

Most vidialias these days are refrigerated. This probably breaks down the sugar and results in the taste difference. Also you may have noticed they tend to rot quickly. My neighbor brought 2 50# bags home from Georgia and lost most of them, even though placed them in a single layer on racks in his cellar.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2008
10:44 AM

Post #5216445

Vidialias never were good keepers. Vidialias are a hybred so the genetics should not change.
Things that can push taste or flavor have to do with the brix level when eaten. Pushing storage life is not a friendly situation for a dead ripe Vidialia. Most likely they are being harvested before the brix level is high enough to deliver the sweet onion you remember.
glymar
Macon, GA

December 16, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5898374

Glenda, vidalias are ALWAYS more flat than round. Pervians too, and Mayans and Walla Wallas. Lots of times folks will sell texas sweets as a vidalias. Its not the same. If it aint flat instead of round, it aint sweet!
glymar
Macon, GA

December 18, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5905013

Sorry, read some posts and have an answer! If you will take the onions and gently put them in pantyhose or hose, tie a knot, add another, tie a knot, till the hose is full, gentle now, then hang them from a spot that doesnt touch anything they will last a long time. The late season vidalias are finicky because they have had their season extended, which seems to make them easier to go bad. This is the way to extend them, and one big thing! Years ago folks started making and selling tater/ onion cages. Do not use these for taters and onions! They give off a scent thats poisinious to each other, serious. We store one in the kitchen, one elsewhere. One of our rooms is a library/computer room, the onions live there. Months! If you store those two together you will get rot within ten days. Serious!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America