Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow: Thank You

Communities > Forums > Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies GrowReplies: 6, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #5004412

I am touched by your attitude of significance in choosing what you are going to grow in your garden. I am also touched that you wrote for us such a lovely reminder of why THIS day is more than just a day off from work to have a BBQ.

I descend from a long line of military men (and women) who put their lives at risk for us, who watched in horror as brothers and friends lay mutilated and dying in battle. The honor is ours to remember them with a red poppy on our lapel, or planted in our gardens.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5004555

I used that poem (and a vase of red poppies) during a Memorial Day service I helped organize at our church a few years ago, along with other readings (not mentioning flowers, I'm sorry to say). As Darius says, we were trying to point out that this is not just another 50% off previously reduced merchandise holiday sale, but ought to be a day of honoring and remembering those who have given their lives for this country. Another day we can discuss the virtues of holding wars vs. holding flower sales, today we honor those who didn't get to choose.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5004571

Yes Ben, thank you for the history. I had forgotten and needed the reminder that this is not just an extra day off work to have a BBQ. My memories are the same as yours, veterans in our small Vermont town sold these poppies on street corners, we had a parade and a 21-guin salute around the military statue at the park. It always gave me goosebumps. Thanks for the meoires.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5004925

Very sweet, thanks from Oregon too, I remember the sales of those little red poppies for years here. Our little town still hosts a Veteran's Parade and a Memorial Mass out at the cemetary giving each Veteran's grave a flag. There is a flyover of 3 Air Force jets.

Your photo by your biography is just stunning.
Potagere

May 26, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5005005

Although I do not live in Flanders (which, indeed, is in Belgium), I live in France, and the red poppy grows wild everywhere. The first ones began to bloom in my yard this weekend. Although they can be a pest, I hesitate to pull them up unless they are really in the way, and always let some go to seed. Because, I, too, used to buy and wear red paper poppies on Memorial Days of childhood, when we went to place flowers on our family graves. And the poppies are an annual reminder of the blood that has soaked the land and, unfortunately, in some places still does. Anyone who wants them can send their name and address and I'll try to mail seedpods during the year.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5005928

Wonderful article - thank you so much
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5007066

Wonderful story. I remember as a child getting plastic poppies .. what a sweet memory .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting history KyWoods 1 May 26, 2008 2:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder doccat5 0 May 26, 2008 9:50 AM
Remembrance vs. Memorial Day judithht 0 May 26, 2008 10:48 AM
In Flanders Fields myrcou 0 May 26, 2008 2:57 PM
Good job Ben!! threegardeners 0 May 26, 2008 3:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America