Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Gladiolus: Summer's Magnificent Showcase: Question

Communities > Forums > Article: Gladiolus: Summer's Magnificent Showcase
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gladiolus: Summer's Magnificent ShowcaseReplies: 2, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5005169

Toni, do you know if glads will grow under black walnut trees, or in the presence of juglone in some mulch? (I don't find it on any list I have of juglone tolerant nor intolerant plants and I have lots of corms to plant.)
Thanks.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #5005686

Darius: without doing some research, I can't answer this with any authority. My understanding is that very little will grow under black walnut trees; however, I have 12 on my property, and the previous owner planted irises around the base of each many years ago. The iris seem to do fine and some of them bloom. I believe the ones that don't bloom have become covered with mulch and grass clippings over the years and the tubers don't get the sun.

If you find some answers, please share!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5005815

Thanks. I did more searching, found no answer. So, I guess I'll find out by trial and perhaps error!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gladiolus: Summer's Magnificent Showcase Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love those glads.. Sharran 3 May 26, 2008 11:31 PM
Great information and pics gessiegail 0 May 26, 2008 6:15 PM
What about those little cormels geegadwah76 1 Jun 13, 2008 12:35 PM
Gladiolus Questions belledonna 0 Jun 8, 2009 2:18 PM
Clarification on bulbs FantasyReef 1 Jun 8, 2009 9:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America