Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow: Very Humbled....

Communities > Forums > Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies GrowReplies: 0, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

May 26, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5006112

... and moved.

I have been out all morning helping my mother-in-law create a vegetable bed. We are all wearing our "Buddy Poppies" and it has been a great day.

I am at a loss for words at all the wonderful sentiment and recollections you all have shared. It is so very humbling. Thank you for your kind words. I very much appreciate it. This was a difficult article for me to write. As I typed I thought of my grandfather and it is all very emotional.

We as a people around most of the world are blessed to enjoy the freedoms we have. I shall forever be grateful to those who have sacrificed so much for these freedoms.

Some people asked some questions which I would like to answer collectively if that's okay.

To Kelli: Yes, they still give out the poppies. They do generally offer them in front of grocery stores but if not, you can visit your local VFW and they will VERY happily give you some. They don't actually "sell" them. They leave it up to you to give a donation. I 100% recommend visiting your local VFW. It will be a very moving and touching experience.

To Mark: Thank you for sharing your photograph. How incredible to see the poppies in such a beautiful setting.

To Myrcou: Thank you for the added information. I read A LOT about the region prior to publishing and it was often referred to as the county of Flanders. I appreciate the additional information though. I am VERY intrigued by the history of the area and am still reading about it. Thank you again.

To KyWoods: Yes, that is the flower we speak of.

To Juidth: Thank you for your kind words. Yes, the Flanders Poppy is definitely associated with Remembrance Day in Canada but from what I could determine it is the same inspiration used for the poppy being offered during the American Memorial Day. I could be wrong but I checked several sources. But as you said, it is what is evoked within us that is most significant.

To All: Thank you again for sharing your stories, your sentiment, your thanks and your words. You are all very kind, good people and I am pleased to be a part of such a great community.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting history KyWoods 1 May 26, 2008 2:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder doccat5 0 May 26, 2008 9:50 AM
Remembrance vs. Memorial Day judithht 0 May 26, 2008 10:48 AM
Thank You darius 6 May 26, 2008 11:17 PM
In Flanders Fields myrcou 0 May 26, 2008 2:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America