Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow: Col. McRae/Remembrance Day in Canada

Communities > Forums > Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies GrowReplies: 4, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 27, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5007322

Col McRae was a physician with the Canadian army in WW1. The poem is universal Im sure but rings particular bells with many Canadians ( especially those of us whose family members served in the two wars) who celebrate the memory on November 11. I dont know how long the poppy itself has been the symbol of remembrance but here in Canada the Royal Canadian Legion 'sells' ( for whatever you wish to donate) poppies every November and the money goes to assist veterans in need.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

May 27, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #5008461

Hi fancyvan,

When doing my research I came to realize this poem did indeed hold particular importance with Canadians. In fact the significance is quoted on one site as:

The poem has achieved near-mythic status in contemporary Canada and is one of the nation's most prominent symbols. Most Remembrance Day ceremonies will feature a reading of the poem in some form, and many Canadian schoolchildren memorize the verse.

I also read about the ceremonies that occur on November 11th. It is inspiring. I wish we did the same here. When I lived in the UK, remembrance day was a HUGE deal. Not quite the same here but perhaps if more and more people stop for a moment to remember that will begin to change.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 27, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5009473

Bennysplace
As in UK the remembrance ceremonies in Canada are held on the llth hour of the llth day of the llth month which was when the WW1 armistance was signed. The day is a national 'holiday' . When I was young no stores opened until after the ceremonies. Now it seems that does not matter but I venture to guess that almost every city and town in the country has a ceremony of some kind, most at a war memorial.
A few years ago, at the National ceremony in Ottawa, after the burial of the unknown soldier ( a very recent event at the memorial) people spontaneously took off their poppies and laid them on the tomb- now it happens every year.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5012026

now only federal government employees have the day off work but every school and employer everything stops for a moment of silence at 11 am accross the country
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7278946

Here in British Columbia, the children do not attend school, and most businesses are closed to commemorate Remembrance Day.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting history KyWoods 1 May 26, 2008 2:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder doccat5 0 May 26, 2008 9:50 AM
Remembrance vs. Memorial Day judithht 0 May 26, 2008 10:48 AM
Thank You darius 6 May 26, 2008 11:17 PM
In Flanders Fields myrcou 0 May 26, 2008 2:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America