Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: Germinating Horse Chestnuts

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5009547

I got a couple of chestnuts locally from a Horse Chestnut (Aesculus hippocastrum.) It's a beautiful tree and I'd like to try growing one from seed.

I do believe that these seeds spent the winter on the ground so they have been stratified. Can I just plant them and have them sprout?

Thanks in advance!
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2008
12:05 PM

Post #5014289

Indy. are they plump or are they small and shriveled up. Also look all aroudn them for teeny tiny holes. Alot of them that hit the ground, if ya don't get thempicke dup as soon as they fall they get a little worm inside them.

best way to germinate them is take them put ina pot of good organic soil and some leaf mulch on the top, keep damp and wait and wait and wait and don't plant them very deep.
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2008
11:21 AM

Post #5019485

This was a pretty nice, intact chestnut. (Wish I had picked up more!) I just stuck it in a pot yesterday, watered it in good, and put it in the greenhouse. Guess we'll see what happens!

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America