Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow: "In Flander's Field"

Communities > Forums > Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies GrowReplies: 4, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5009637

Wonderful article. I grew up with a copy of this poem ( my grandfather served in what is now Flanders. I still have it, is an antique, I treasure it.) Thanks for remembering. Think I'll go home and plant some poppies! Pam
audjea
EDMONTON
Canada

November 16, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7279718

AS KIDS GOING TO SCHOOL.WE LEARNED TO RECITE ~~~~IN FLANDERS FIELD~~~
AND BELIEVE ME IT WAS NOT,,,IN FLANDERS FIELD THE POPPIES ,,,BLOW...
IT IS GROW!!!!IF THERE IS NO BREEZE THE POPPIES ARE NOT GOING TO BLOW...BUT IN FLANDERS FIELD THE POPPIES
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

November 21, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7294812

Hi Pam,

Thank you for your kind words and I am so happy it inspired you to plant some poppies. Sorry the response to your comment is so late in coming.

Hi audjea,

I found the words on the Wikipedia website and subsequently there are several sites which have the words to be exactly as I have presented. Here is one site which has a scan of what appears to be the original poem by John McCrae. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm

It looks like the word is blow. I certainly did not mean to cause offense and I pray that you can look past the semantics of a version you remember and the overall message of peace, kindness and remembrance.

Blessings,
Ben
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

November 15, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8212884

I looked at the original written by Lt. Colonel McRae and comparing the word in the first line to other words he used, both grow and flow, etc, there is no doubt that it is blow. Not meaning to perpetuate a disagreement (shades of 'yardeners') but McRae was pretty clear and consistent in his writing. Either way it is a great poem and really reflects his feelings at the time.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

August 28, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8781344

Hi mstella,

I am sorry I missed this comment. Thank you for adding this. I agree, either way it is a great poem.

Blessings to you,
Benny

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting history KyWoods 1 May 26, 2008 2:41 PM
Thanks for the reminder doccat5 0 May 26, 2008 9:50 AM
Remembrance vs. Memorial Day judithht 0 May 26, 2008 10:48 AM
Thank You darius 6 May 26, 2008 11:17 PM
In Flanders Fields myrcou 0 May 26, 2008 2:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America