Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Weather for Gardeners - Climate Anomalies and Paradoxes: Cool

Communities > Forums > Article: Weather for Gardeners - Climate Anomalies and Paradoxes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Weather for Gardeners - Climate Anomalies and ParadoxesReplies: 6, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5015012

Hey. Sorry to hear you are all freezing up there. Still, you know more about the weather down here than we do. Do you think it will rain this weekend? ;)
Ever since I joined the site, I've been trying to figure out how cold it really is in the US. Your article helps. If I understand right, its mainly just your winters that plunge so low but you still get reasonable summers. Is that right?
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5015041

Yes, it is the winters that are colder in some latitudes here, where their opposite number, down your way, is not nearly so cold. Summers are reasonable, although sometimes very hot, as the land warms up faster than water just as it cools down faster. So we can get hotter, and colder as well!
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5015087

OK. I sprouted some Occotillo. It being a Texan desert plant, I was worried about our winter & put them in the greenhouse. Then I saw a photo on the web of Ocotillo covered in snow & was like, scratching my head. Its the same with adeniums needing high humidity for germination. Hard to figure from here where the deserts are hot all the time & dry most of it. You must have deserts where it snows. Is that right as well?
Weird place this america ;) They are talking about the hurricanes in the news over there atm. Sounds like you need to be tough to survive.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5015120

Well, yes, we do have snow in the deserts here. Sometimes we have floods in the deserts too, as it will be dry for most of the year, then rain like crazy for a while. When that happens,the desert literally blooms, with flowers and greenery as far as the eye can see. Then it all dries out again . . .
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5015167

Yeah. That's what growing ademiums & ocotillo tells me. Funny how you can learn a lot from a seed hey? I am waiting on the E. Degulpta atm. (Did I spell it right?) How long do they take?
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5015207

The E. deglupta should all be up in a week or two, at the most, from when you planted them, so long as you've been keeping them moist as I described I do with mine.
GranvilleSouth

(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #5017101

OK. Its only been a week or so. I am keeping them moist in the greenhouse. Soon I am going to go bush & get some eucalyptus root soil. I need to experiment with it so I can bonsai some later. Eucalypts & Corymbias will die I reckon if their soil is completely changed like most bonsais. Hopefully I can work out a method using mycorrhiza that will make eucalyptus bonsais more possible.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Weather for Gardeners - Climate Anomalies and Paradoxes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
wonderful information! melody 1 May 29, 2008 2:52 PM
Good one phicks 1 May 29, 2008 1:55 AM
Melting Ice Caps Robubba 0 Jan 1, 2009 3:18 PM
Great article! dechap423 0 Mar 6, 2012 6:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America