-
AuthorContent
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5016240

Can anyone give me a reliable source for buying Oriental Poppy plants. I've purchased a few from Wayside, for lack of a better source, and got anything from wrong colors to dead plants.
Thanks much!
Vicki
fleur_guy
Parma, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #5039270

Hi Sadie
I have been eyeing up poppies myself and a few of the sources are Heronswood,
Bluestone Perennials and Garden Crossings. Personal experience wise, I have
been well pleased with everything I have purchased from Garden Crossings.
Bluestone has nice prices (small plants). Heronswood, I'm not sure if what they
are offering is bare root or started plants. Try searching Plant Scout under
Papaver. I am sure there are other suppliers. Good Luck.
PHofer
Warminster, PA

June 2, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #5040132

Here is the Heronswood Poppy selections. They sell them in 4 inch pots.

http://heronswood.resultspage.com/search?fuseaction=search.results&w=poppy
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5040772

Hi! Thanks for your replies. I had already looked through all of the vendors that came up under Papaver Orientalis but was hoping to find one vendor that carried many different cultivars, to save on postage. I did end up placing 2 small orders, one from Deer-resistant Nursery and one from Eminence Meadows. Of course, after placing the orders, I was notified that 1 cultivar at each vendor was out of stock :-( I also placed orders at 2 less than great nurseries, Spring Hill and Gurneys...maybe I'll get lucky (not holding my breath). Spring Hill had a beauty called Lauren's Lilac..not as dark as the annual Lauren's Grape, I couldn't find any other US sources that had it in stock...but hey, it's only money, right?????
Teresa_B
Saint Louis, MO

June 26, 2008
6:55 PM

Post #5163666

Sadie Mae,

How did your poppies come through that you ordered?

Teresa
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5163802

Hi Teresa,

The 2 from Eminence Meadows looked fine, Deer-resistant Nursery ended up being out of the one I wanted. I think I threw my money away on the 2 bare root ones from Gurney's (not surprising) and the 2 from Spring Hill's won't be delivered until fall (I don't expect much from them either). A very nice DGer sent me a bunch of his extras that he had started from seed though :-)

If I decide that I need more next year, I will make sure to order earlier in the season because several of the sources that I looked at were already out.
cowgirl2
Calgary
Canada

June 26, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #5164073

sadie_mae
You should considering growing from seed since they are dead easy.

sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5164119

I might try winter sowing some. I did the WS thing a few years ago and didn't have much luck but I know a little more about it now.

Can they just be tossed into a bed to grow, like annual poppies?
cowgirl2
Calgary
Canada

June 26, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #5164826

I usually grow in containers since it allows better control of plants. You could always try just putting seeds into a bed as long as you remember and don't plant something else on top.

Teresa_B
Saint Louis, MO

July 25, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #5319076

Hi Sadie Mae,

You may want to consider ordering your Oriental Poppies next year from Graceful Gardens. I think I am going to give them a try. Graceful Gardens has all positive comments and they are famous for their delphiniums. Many people consider delphs to be pretty finicky and they receive rave reviews for them. Their prices are very reasonable although they have a minimum size order.

Teresa
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5744566

Does anyone have any idea which poppies grow best in Greensboro NC zone 7b.? I have info from seed companies but real experience I have found is best.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2008
10:57 AM

Post #5762059

I am going to WS poppys,not orientals. I have bought a collection of 6 from Bluestone two dies and one is dragging along with out putting up a crown for the winter.
If I lose any I will order from Haernswood or GardenCrossings. Bluestone plant did will for me except the Poppies.
The winter sows are going on the ground in March, I have some down now but was told by a friend I have too much mulch on my beds so I'll scrape away mulch where I want to sow.
These are poppy somniferum going in with my lilies
poppy commutatum garden edge sunny spot
poppy nudicule a Belgeum or Flanders type.
Teresa_B
Saint Louis, MO

November 21, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5814570

For the first time ever, I have two Oriental Poppies, purchased locally in late summer, that look fantastic. In the past, I planted them in somewhat improved clayey soil. I am at a new location and taking advantage of lots and lots of composted horse manure. Result: I have friable soil for the first time ever, which is what I read that OPs like. Sure enough, I think this is the trick--and I had a very hot summer which they survived. The tap root (I had to move one about a month ago) was super long and ended about 2 1/2 feet away.

I have read that when they are happy, they are almost impossible to dispose of--even a small piece of root will rejuvenate.

Right now, everything is dead in my zone 6 garden but the OPs are green and thriving.

Teresa

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
11:05 AM

Post #5815124

The op's will send up new plants where a "root cutting" has taken place through transplanting.
Your Fall green leaves now are crowns, they stay that way all winter until spring when the plant continues to grow and bloom.
Dontcha luvit?
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 30, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6617543

I am also trying to find a reliable source for some of the more unusual colors of oriental poppy PLANTS. I ordered some lovely ones from Wayside Gardens last year, but one was DOA, and the rest never survived winter. I want plants that I can plant in the spring, not bare roots.
I will look up Eminence Meadows, and Graceful Gardens. Any other suggestions?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6617597

I bought plants from Eminence Meadows and found they were small for the price.
Dont buy from Van Borgundian,theyre poppy mix was horrible, everyone died.
I bought great plants from Garden Crossings one arrived with a bud and bloomed the next week.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6620698

I ordered OP's from Bluestone years ago - they always send out plants I believe. They started out small, and it took about 3 years before they really got going. I think I weeded up one by mistake thinking it was a thistle! But now mine are thriving and spreading. It is Prince of Orange; now I am trying to find other colors. I just ordered Patty's Plum plants - quart size containers, from T's Flowers - 7.50 each and I am hoping they will grow.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2009
10:17 AM

Post #6620969

You will love Pattys Plum,it bloomed for me last year from plants from Bluestone(collection).
It has lots of buds this year and I expect blooms anyday.
It takes about 3 seasons like you said.
Thats why I wont try to start from seeds again.
I'm just too old to wait 3 years to see a fully developed plant no mater what type it is.
The only op seeds I started ,that are growing now, are Princess Victoria Louise. I think they may become invasive.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America