Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: looking for someone to relocate some bees

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 5, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
stownes
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5017211

My daughter has a lot of bees going in and out of the corner of her house. We don't know if they are living in the attic or exactly where. They are small bees and aren't aggressive. Two days ago there were a lot of bees just clinging to the brick as if they were waiting for something. We really don't want to destroy the bees but haven't been able to find anyone that wants to move them Does anyone know who we could conctact in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?
jtwig
Davis, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #5019071

If you haven't tried already... You could try contacting the police or fire department and see if they have a list of local bee keepers. Hope they find a better home.
stownes
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5020827

I hadn't thought of that - thanks!
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5118123

If they don't know, contact your local Agriculture extension and they will give you some area contacts.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5187804

Most of the time bees in a house can not be relocated without major expense. Thank goodness you hive is high up on the house. They have found and established a successfull native hive. It would not surprise me if you had fifty to a hundred pounds of stored honey...even more. Closing the entrance may be your most reasonable action.
Don't let some insect firm try to kill the hive from the entrance. It can not be done in most instances and is also expensive.

The bunch you saw hanging onto the side of the house was a new swarm ready to fly off and find another home. A swarm like that may have up to a hundred thousand bees going off with a queen to find that new home. Your bees are still there. Their queen will quickly repopulate your hive.

Talk to a beekeeper and see if some will give you a fair price to close the entranceway on your house. It only takes a guy who knows what to do. If I were doing the job I would need only a ladder and a can of insulating foam like they shoot into wall sockets and wide cracks in a small area. The bees need to be smoked as there are guards at the entrance that need to be controlled. Depending on the area factors a hundred bucks sounds like a lot to simply close the entrance way.

Whatever you do don't let someone start with open end expense agreement. You could get into a five to ten thousand dollar job real easy.
thehines
Franklin, KY

March 17, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6278738

I am interested in find out what ever happen to your bees????

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America