Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Trading Plants: How to Pack Plants for Shipping by Mail: hey that's great

Communities > Forums > Article: Trading Plants: How to Pack Plants for Shipping by Mail
bookmark
Forum: Article: Trading Plants: How to Pack Plants for Shipping by MailReplies: 21, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2008
9:52 AM

Post #5019322

not that I need to mail anything soon... but in case I ever do... and I see another wonderful use of polymer gels

;)

some of the bigger companies should read this
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5019858

Rob's Violet Barn rolls their plants (potted) in paper just the same way...

You're right, the main thing I wish all the big companies knew is, plastic covering on roots = good, plastic covering on leaves = bad. :-)

Thanks!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #5019916

Hi critter. Had a few minutes at work to check out your article this morning. Great informative topic! I'll definitely bookmark this one for future reference. I've started reading your previous articles too as I get time. Joining DG has been a real blessing. So many interesting people, so many interesting topics... It is truly motivating me to get re-engaged on my own gardens :-) Look forward to seeing you again soon. terri
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5019936

Thanks, Terri! I was hoping we could get together this week, but I am sooo far behind here! But gosh, we've had some lovely weather for enjoying our gardens lately. :-)
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5020021

Thank you for the tips on shipping live plants.
Guess I've been lucky so far. I have used a little more than a damp paper towel. and have sealed the whole plant in a zip-lock. But then it has just been sweet potato plants. They are pretty tough plants.
I did though one time, leave some dirt around the roots and just had the roots in plastic. I have always had compliments on the plants I have sent, but I can see where this would be much safer for the plants. Thanks again.
Russ
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5020089

Putting the whole plant in plastic is a dice roll... in cool weather, it'll probably work fine. But if the box ends up sitting on a hot loading dock around the way, it can get pretty steamy in a bag. I've received plants shipped that way that were fine and others that were cooked beyond saving.

But as with everything else in gardening -- there's no "one true way!" This is just what works for me. :-)

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

May 29, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5020095

Oh My Gosh,
I am so glad your article came today!
Perfect timing as I'm getting ready to send a Baby plant, had no idea on the how to.
Thank you for wonderful easy directions.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 29, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5020718

Great article! Great photos! Love step-by-step instructions. Thanks so much for this.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5021609

Excellent, Jill.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5021649

Thanks! That makes it worth the time involved in nudging all those photos into place... :-)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5021660

:-) Something I am still trying to do...maybe someday.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5021845

Great photos, Jill. It takes me about 57 shots for each one halfway as good as one of yours... I sent off A WHOLE BUNCH OF PLANTS yesterday, and they each got a spoon of hydrated moisture crystals - I can be taught! Thanks again.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 29, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5022575

A word of caution... My Dad is a USPS letter carrier. I was shipping some plants yesterday and he told me not to write anything on the box indicating there were plants inside. If you send plants you're supposed to have a certificate and if one isn't there they can technically confiscate and destroy your plants. This is especially true if shipping to other countries or states that have tight restrictions (like citrus plants here in FL). Now for my personal soapbox, please be sure not to send plants that may be ok in your area but are invasive in the area you are sending to!

Melanie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5023274

Melanie, that's a really good point. I think as long as you're sending to states without restrictions (and I wasn't really covering international mailing... phytosanitary certificates etc. are another thing entirely), there's no problem. My counter person knows there are plants in the boxes I send and is fine with that. But some states have strict rules. When I ship to CA, for example, I put a note inside at the top that says the plants are bare root or have been grown in sterile potting medium... and I make sure I'm not sending any restricted species.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 30, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5027243

Just wanted everyone to be aware. I guess because I live in one of those states with lots of restrictions I tend to think about it. Plus, I've seen posts where people tried sending to Canada and the plants were confiscated. Just something to keep in mind!
Melanie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5027513

Good points, again. I added a couple of lines to the article; hopefully people will stop to check before sending (or asking for) plants. Thanks!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5040068

I loved the article...although I never have any live plants to send...just seeds. I always wondered how they were shipped though. Jo
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5040751

Thank you! I am shipping some allium christophii "in the green" tomorrow. This will really help me.

Donna

Edited to say that I used your super method to send some allium christophii in bud. Thank you so much!

Donna

This message was edited Jun 3, 2008 3:53 PM
maureen1952
Worcester, MA

June 7, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5067265

I this technique good for orchids? the leaves are so brittle. If one does't have a slurry should extra towels be used?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5067318

I once received orchids from Hawaii, and they came potted. the pots were wrapped in newspaper with a rubber band to hold the mix in place, and then the whole plant, pot & all, was rolled up in newspaper. They arrived in perfect condition. I'd ask over in the orchid forum and see if anybody has advice or experience with shipping them bare root.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5082642

Thank you again for this article. I was sending my alliums to Pennsylvania the day after I read it and was very open about where they were going. The FEDEX people said that there were no restrictions on Pennsylvania but that there were on other states. Nonetheless, I washed them carefully.

And, by the way, even with FEDEX 2 day they arrived perfectly and are now in bloom in the recipient's garden. They arrive in perfect shape.

Donna
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5082696

Good job! :-)

I've shipped plants by 4 or 5 day UPS ground without any trouble using these methods, although when it gets hot it's a good idea to use extra insulation around them... actually, I just try not to ship in really hot weather, because you just can't control whether or not the box ends up spending a long time time on a hot loading dock or in a hot truck along the way.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Trading Plants: How to Pack Plants for Shipping by Mail Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OH to have had this.... Chantell 3 May 29, 2008 8:39 PM
Excellent Advice for Shipping Plants MoringaMorey 1 Feb 27, 2011 4:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America