Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Japanese Maples: Beni Schichihenge

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 4, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ltalent
New York, NY

May 29, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5020536

My Beni Schichihenge had a lot of dead twigs and small branches on its interior this spring. We've now moved it so it gets more light and repotted it so it should be happier, but I was wondering if the dead twigs are normal? It is a pretty twiggy tree.

Thumbnail by ltalent
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5020943

Likely winter die back froma late growth spurt ( late second flush) I wouldn't be concerned it looks healthy although not a great jpeg but from what I can see it looks ok. That is not unusual but the inner branches dieing are a bit differnt but they likely had the late growth..David
ltalent
New York, NY

May 29, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #5021689

Thanks David. It was a warm fall so that would not be too surprising.
john_hosie
Gaithersburg, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #5026156

On all my yard-planted JM's, first thing in the spring I go trim the white branches and branchlettes. (The rest are yellow, red, or green.) They're the dead ones. Then I look for places I should thin.

I don't think you're seeing anything all that odd. I know Cicada (aka "locusts") lay eggs on new branches that hatch and the brances die, causing them to break off and allowing the Cicada to resume their life cycles. So it is possible it is somethign like that - or some other vermin you'd rather be rid of. So I generally try to put these little banches in a place where little buggers won't get into the soil. But I have not experienced huge amounts of damage even when the 17 year swarms have appeared.
ltalent
New York, NY

May 30, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5026645

Thanks John. Good to know. I've never owned one before so that's helpful.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America