Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Follow Your Dreams And Make A Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Hmmm!

Communities > Forums > Article: Follow Your Dreams And Make A Grilled Cheese Sandwich
bookmark
Forum: Article: Follow Your Dreams And Make A Grilled Cheese SandwichReplies: 5, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 30, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #5024322

Yummy sight here! We cook every once in a while what is known in French as 'croque-monsieur' which is a grilled sandwich with gratted cheese and a slice of ham, liberaly buttered on both outer sides and grilled in a special kind of iron device. My second daughter being more on the vegetarian side it results in here having...Grilled Cheese Sandwich! I will show her your recipe so she can improve.
Just for cultural mater, a 'croque-madame' will be a croque-monsieur with a fried egg on top, don't ask me why...
JJ
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 30, 2008
7:27 PM

Post #5026954

JJ, what is the device like? I have an old iron called a Toas-Tite that is at least 50 years old. It has long handles and two round metal plates at the end, joined by a hinge. When closed, the edges seal the sandwich (the corners of the crust are trimmed off).

Loved this article and the photos. I'm so happy when I hear of an old building saved and a small business succeeding. And are the people in this town lucky, or what? I'd be there every day!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 31, 2008
9:22 AM

Post #5029707

Kaper,
The device is just like you describe it! The one we have is for one toast at a time but my grandma used to have a double one.
This old building is real nice and the funny thing is that it looks somewhat like my onw house, a creole house with wooden walls painted white.
JJ
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 31, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5031098

JJ, I have seen newer ones in catalogs, etc., but they are square - prefer the round one for the childhood memories!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

May 31, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5031660

I went to California and it seemed like people don't like square stuff and folks over there...childhood memories are so tasty, this was the real time!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

May 31, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5031677

:-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Follow Your Dreams And Make A Grilled Cheese Sandwich Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Now I'm hungry! SCNewbie 0 May 30, 2008 4:41 AM
A one room school Sharran 12 Nov 30, 2010 9:35 AM
Love it! darius 3 Jun 3, 2008 1:26 AM
Sounds delish! digigirl 1 May 30, 2008 10:44 PM
Grilled Cheese Variation musicmonkey2 2 Jul 7, 2008 5:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America