Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
herrinchoker
Georgetown, ME

May 30, 2008
5:07 AM

Post #5024543

I have planted seven allamanda seeds that I removed from a pod. They are in a mix of manure/potting soil, and are being kept moist. It has been about four weeks, and so far the seeds appear to be swelling slightly, and there is no sign of rot/mold etc. Any idea as to how long it takes on average for the seed to sprout??
They are inside on a south facing window sill.
Any info is most appreciated, thanks,
Herrinchoker
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #5110150

Hi,

I'm sorry no one has answered you. I just now saw your post. I've never tried growing these from seeds, but I did find some info on Google. It appears to take at least six weeks for the seeds to sprout. Lots of articles on growing it, but this was the only one I could find that mentioned growing it from seed:

http://ivies-climbing-hanging-plants.suite101.com/article.cfm/allamanda

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Karen

Smegtone
Blackshear, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5139666

Hi, as Karen said, it takes from six to 8 weeks to sprout. I had nearly 75% of them germinating when I only put the fuzzy hair end in the soil, leaving the round part of the seed sticking out.They are also slow to grow for the first month. They also aren't true from seeds. I tried many ways to sow them since last December. The one I cited is the best so far. The seedlings are about 18'' right now. I hope this helps you. Andr I have taken some pics, here is one: taken on March 26.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2008 7:41 PM

Thumbnail by Smegtone
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America