Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: my other "garden"

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 19, Views: 205
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

May 30, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5026107

this all seemed like a good idea, now im not so sure. any suggestions would be helpful. and go ahead and be brutal, im toughing up.

Thumbnail by jessnjus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

barhea7
(Bre) Sellersville, PA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5026136

I would add some color - other then that it looks ok.
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5026137

Maybe you could add a few splashes of color, to give it alittle depth,
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

May 30, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5026207

well the creeping phlox had color. lol. i didnt realize that it only bloomed in spring. what and where should i put some color?
barhea7
(Bre) Sellersville, PA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5026246

For quick color I usually throw in a bunch of blooming - or about to bloom annuals. You could also get a perennial that will bloom in late spring/ summer - after the phlox is done.
Its hard to say where to put it - I think it has alot to do with personal pref - some people like to just randomly plant - while some like a more uniform look.
good luck!
bre
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

May 30, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5026305

thank you. i cant wait to get something. im thinking white flowers would add some pop to it.
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5026472

or maybe some deep reds or Purple...yep Purple would look great.
NorthernSeasons
Bozeman, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5031162

How much total sun do you get in day? If it's partial sun (8-5 hours), is it morning, mid-day or afternoon? How much water does the area get? If you know the sun and water specifications, it really helps determine what will actually survive. And of course, what zone are you in? Zone 6, 7, other?
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

May 31, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #5031344

i am in zone 7. it faces south. so it gets lots and lots of sun there.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #5034820

Any color of cone flowers would look right at home there. And black eyed Susan would be real pretty too. For a pretty blue you could add Stokes aster. I have these in my butterfly bed. I also have Montauk daisy (nipponanthemum nipponicum) and larkspur for white. The Montauk daisy is a real pretty, neat mounding plant that gets about 2 feet tall. The larkspur gives a nice informal look to the garden. All of these plants are perennials. My butterfly bed is out in full sun and we do get HOT down here. These flowers are all taking the heat in stride. I like your rocks--wish I could put some in my flower beds but the fire ants just love building their mounds around them.
trioadastra
Ellsworth, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2008
5:40 AM

Post #5039489

Those elephant ears survive zone 7 facing south, full sun? Wow. I would recommend, since it looks like a dry area, echinacea (purple coneflower) some coreopsis, carnations, maybe daylilies. Shasta daisies, rudbeckia (but not fulgida, use goldsturm)... they can all take it dry and neglected.
plantparty
Sunnyburn, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2008
12:06 PM

Post #5039913

Since its a small garden, one nice 'Knockout' or 'Home Run'rose would really look nice. While you are waiting for the creeping phlox to fill in, a few low annuals could finish it. Another idea is salvia 'May Night' and Coreopsis 'Moonbeam'. They look wonderful together and seem to bloom forever if you dead head them.
wood_fern
Urbandale, IA

June 2, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5040724

How about a bed of drought tolerant, practically no-care succulents? Succulents come in a variety of heights and various colors (not just green). Very little care is needed and very little water which is great for beginner gardeners. You'll be surprised at how great these look...
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

June 2, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5040753

so i went to the garden place yesterday fully intending on buying something to brighten up this garden. after hours of looking and going back and forth between different things, i ended up with dark purple petunias. then at the last second i just put them back, said to heck with it and didnt get anything. i was just trying to picture it in my head and i just have no idea where to put them. it seems like it will just be out of place. i definately need something, i agree with that. argh. this shouldnt be so difficult, should it?
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

June 2, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5040981

wow. my elephant ears have grown since i posted that. its kinda cool to have pics and see the progress like that. my maiden grass still looks about the same. i was hoping it would be doing better than that.

Thumbnail by jessnjus

jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

June 17, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #5118025

well, i havent got around to adding any color. i still cant decide on anything. im thinking the reason my maiden grass isnt growing may have to do with the fact that this spot floods very easily. take a look at the pic, it rained last night and this morning. the sun has been out for atleast 4 hours now and there is still standing water. is this a problem and if so, what can i do?

Thumbnail by jessnjus

NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #5118423

The elephant ears will LOVE the extra moisture. I had some up in my garden where it gets wet and they got to liking it so good, they tried to do a takeover so I had to move them. But a lot of ornamental grasses don't like their feet wet. I'm not sure about maiden grass but I'd almost bet it will resent too much water. Maybe you could move the grass elsewhere and put some caladiums in there--that would give you lots of color.
raebeags
Dighton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5123005

If you are thinking white I have seen all white flower gardens they are really pretty. Daisies, white sedum (blooms late summer early fall), Anemone nemorosa 'pleniflora' is a very pretty white ground cover that blooms in July. If you want to have a low growing shrub that will be green all year around with either pink or white flowers (from Jan. to april in my zone) Erica is very pretty.
Good Luck!!
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

June 18, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5123811

thank you!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5128900

Seems like daylilies would just adore that spot.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America