Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 129, Views: 581
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
valrita

May 30, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5027245

Not long ago we were dreaming of roses. Have any of your dreams come true? Do you have any pictures to share?

My Mr Lincoln, Double Delight and Strike It Rich are in bud almost ready to bloom (I'll post pics in a couple days). Of the roses I planted this year, my bare root Fragrant Cloud and Sunsprite (Friesia) are leafing well but no buds yet. Of the potted ones that I've put in, Sheila's Perfume is starting to branch, and my Don Juan is just sitting there showing no signs of growth.

What do you have blooming? What didn't make it through the winter?

Thumbnail by valrita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5030868

Hey velnita, good thinking!

Rosy dreams are coming true here! Some of the OGRs are putting on a show, including Cornelia, Ballerina, Felicia, Erfurt, and a few no ids. The real dream come true came a while ago when I was outside, a good 30' from the roses, and the scent hit me! Heritage, Rockin' Robin, Red Cascade, Eden, Rainbow Sorbet (..or is it Summer Sorbet?), Scarlet Meideland, Antike, New Dawn, Carefree Beauty, and Serendipity are all showing good color and promise to be awesome in the next few days. And tons of buds on Leontine Gervais, Red Fairy, Banshee (a damask OGR), Iceberg, and some of the hybrid teas. Oh, and Dortmund is climbing on the back fence and looking lovelier than ever, and the poor little unpruned Gruss an Aachens are blooming their hearts out (I finally pruned off the dead stuff yesterday).

Except for some cases of rose rosette virus, roses really like it here! Some that were just ok performers in the hollow are vigorous as ever since they've come to the Bluegrass. I've found 3 infected plants this year and have done surgery in hopes of saving them, but if I see more signs of the disease they'll have to go. A few weeks ago I noticed an infected plant at the UK arboretum. I'm wondering if its a worsening problem in this area. The invasive multifloras that grow all over are prone to the virus, and we've removed 2 infected monsters that were tangled up in a spruce and in the Mock orange last year.

Oh, and if your looking for an easy care, fragrant Hybrid Tea, I highly recommend Paul McCartney. I have an own root plant (started and sent to me by another DGr) that has proven itself cane hardy and very resistant to pests and diseases. It doesn't have the perfect form of many hybrid teas, but is a healthy grower and has big, showy pink blooms that smell wonderful.

Will get some pics and post them!
valrita

May 31, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5031407

I'll look into the McCartney--I don't really look for perfect form anyway. I'm a fragrance hound. If you have any pix of the disease you're talking about, I'd love to see what to look for. I don't know too much about that kind of stuff yet but I'm trying to learn.

You have so many roses that I can't wait to see your pix!

My Double Delight has started to bloom. YAY

Thumbnail by valrita

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5031685

Here are some good pics (in figures 3 and 4, under the mosaic virus pics) of the indicating symptom of rose rosette virus, the "witch's broom" growth.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/path-ext/factSheets/Rose/Rose Mosaic Virus.asp

Last year was the first time I'd seen it. The farm owner had one rose she was showing me to ask what was wrong with it, and the whole bush was infected. It has shown up on some of mine on one cane or two, and I've read you can sometimes remove the infected part of the plant. But when it returned, I went ahead and shovel pruned.

Your Double Delight is gorgeous! One of my favorite HTs. Its been several years since I've grown it, but one that always stood out to me. Its smells unlike any other rose to me, reminds me of peonies; I just want to keep my nose buried in them!

I've just been out getting a few more wintersown seedlings in the ground, and noticed a couple of other roses I'd forgotten blooming. Angel Face is blooming in the memorial garden for my friend, Jan, and those were her favorite. We got 5 cheap, bagged ones early this spring and I planted them all together and lost 1, but was at least happy they were all labeled right. Those cheapies are a toss of the dice, but my roomie was so proud when he came home with a load of them (like 60!), so I've stuck them all over the place. Sally Holmes is blooming too. Shes had a rough time of it, as have some of the others. When those awful tent caterpillars dropped from the wild cherry trees, they went wild on certain roses and completely defoliated some, including Sally. She was left shaped funny and just plain pitiful, but has recovered amazingly.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5033469

Here are a few I took this evening.

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #5033477

Tropicana

Probably my favorite rose of all.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5033484

This is the first time it's ever flushed out like this. It looks amazing. Unfortunately next week it will be pretty bare.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #5033495

I'm partial to Yellows too though

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5033516

This was my mother's day present--the bench.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #5033585

These are about done...

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #5033594

This one is intense when it blooms out.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5033604

Angel Face I believe

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5033610

Rugosa on the right. this was a .99 cent Gurney's row run special. it smells heavenly, but that's about the only thing good I can say about it, it's a thug.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5033618

Nice Flush, but I really don't like this type of rose AT ALL. Hubby likes it, is the ONLY reason it's still there.

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
12:00 PM

Post #5034803

Melissa! Girl, you've been holding out on us, LOL! I had no idea you had so many lovely roses! That one you don't like is Dr.Huey, an old rose that is one of the common rootstocks used in grafted roses. You see them a lot from plants that the graft has frozen out on. Zuzu on the rose forum said she has them all over as monuments to past failures, LOL. They're pretty, but they do take up a lot of space for a one time bloomer. Love the thuggish rugosa, I can't wait! And nice Mother's day gift! Have you found any yellows that you've found to be extra strong growers?
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5035304

AH... so that's why I get once tea roses turning into these things? That thing is getting chopped down as soon as the blooms finish. Well, not chopped down, but cut to the ground, it will throw up new stalks and bloom again before summer's over.

I used to have a lot more roses than I have now--they were my "first" love, of course that is before I realized that I might actually care what the name of them was someday. ;-/
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5035337

Geez, I've been terrible about labeling things here. It was such a rush to get everything moved, then stupid me had to get a ton more stuff, and now its out of control, LOL. But I am taking lots of pics, and have most of my records somewhere, so winter will be all about working on that.

I finally got some pics to post! Here's a bud of Paul McCartney:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5035350

Sweet 'Cornelia' is so pretty!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5035368

A no id OGR and Erfurt.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5035389

Roses in the Pink Bed

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5035405

Okay, most of you know my rose saga, but here is the first bloom of Zepherine Drouin. I will love it when it looks like GW's!!

Thumbnail by joycet

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5035420

The bed with Cornelia; I love the Persian Lilac with her, and the way the iris blends the colors!

Joyce, she's just lovely! At the top of my want list!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5035602

You can quit wanting Neal...I have a Zeph in the works for you... ;-)

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5035649

Wow...you guys!! All beautiful roses!!! Well gee...guess Neal doesn't need my Zeph's then!! I was gonna take cuttings of all my roses for you Neal!
Now I will have to get pictures for sure!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5035707

Yes he does Marcy...He wants LOTS of them!!! LOL
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5035836

Oooooohhhh, goody goody goody!!! Oh, ((((Dusty)))), you're the bestest!!! And oh but do you ever have me pegged, there's still grass out there!..all that wasted rose space, LOL. See Marcy, there's no way I could afford to buy all the roses I "need"!

This pic reminds me of 'The Secret Garden'.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5036337

Neal what is the tall purple stuff in the pic with Cornelia? Right hand back corner of the picture?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5036530

In that last pic? Thats the Persian lilac looking much more purple in the shade and where I was so close to it. I also just noticed my black cat is back there, and I think thats making it look darker.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5036571

No, the pic before, like directly behind the Iris.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #5037451

Ok Dusty and Neal...I'll still bring the cuttings!!! Almost all my roses are blooming now, and I understand the best time to take cuttings is right after it has bloomed? So you got lucky!!! LOL!!
I did take pictures today...now...have to call my DS to figure out about this software for the camera. Been working outside all day , so haven't had time to do that yet.
Oh...and Neal...now I know what that rose is beside our garage door! I know it wasn't there before...was an English rose...and must have reverted to Dr. Huey!!! Thanks!
Melissa, that looks like some kind of sage to me...in Neal's picture?
valrita

June 2, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5039210

I absolutely love all of the pictures! Since I don't have the room to plant all of the roses that I want, I'll be happy to peek at yours. I've always wondered what Dr. Huey looked like. What's so bad about him (other than the fact that he's not what you had planted)? I'm just curious.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #5039265

I think it's ugly. It's really weird when you plant a tea rose, and then suddenly the tea rose is gone, and this takes its place. It doesn't climb, it just sprawls all over the place--little if any smell... doesn't have the shape I like... but, it's great to know because I had no clue what was going on. LOL I have another one that I'm going to just rip out and toss, It's taking up the space 2 tea roses could live in. :)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5040145

Oh, thats catmint! (not cat nip, but in the same genus) I have tons if you would like some. When it stops blooming I shear it back and it starts blooming again, ...well, last year I didn't even have to do that, it just kept going on its own all summer. It seems to like it here better than the hollow. It makes such a pretty filler! Its in the same family as sages and mints.

Marcy, I thought the timing of the RU should be perfect for cuttings! I'm thinking I may try using milk jugs or 2 litre bottles for rooting them, kind of like wintersowing with the little greenhouse covering. Perhaps I'll do some both ways and see what works best.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
2:17 PM

Post #5040363

Oohhhh that's a good idea. Only trouble is we don't drink pop. Can you figure out how to use a beer bottle???? ;o)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5040481

Hey Neal and everyone! Once I got a rose from the Richmond Rose Garden...a cutting I mean. (with permission of course!) I read somewhere about starting them in a gallon ziploc bag. Put the soil in the bag...no pot. Dip cutting in rooting compound, and put in the soil. Water sparingly. Then seal up the bag except for one corner. I used a straw to blow air in the bag. Quickly seal the bag so it is full of air. Keep in a shady area, and you will see when the roots form through the bottom of the bag! Then open it up and let it get air. You know how to do the rest. It worked for me!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5040518

Huh..that's interesting. I started the Peace rose I have (only one before the ZDs) with a cutting. I put it in the shade and put a mason jar over it. It's been moved and divided twice now. Still going strong...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5040559

Joyce, I have done that too!! In fact, that's how I started my Peace rose...that I no longer have. LOL! Not because it died, but because I haven't gotten one since we moved here.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5040606

I like the bag idea better. Then you know when you can put it in the ground!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5040613

OMG!! Neal, all of you! I love those pinks!! I'm gonna have to get me some!!
My Clinmbing Blaze is starting, this dude is covered in buds!

Thumbnail by crashbandiscoot

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5040627

Sorry Cookie, I think we posted at the same time.
Here's Iceberg, this rose is awesome. I think I'm in Love!

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5040642

Iceberg , up close.

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5040664

Midas Touch, an HT, the fragrance is amazing, propably my favorite HT , well until Olympiad blooms.

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #5040681

OOps , wrong photo! LOL That's Olympiad, here's Midas,

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5040696

An unknown mini...wow , what a terrible pic, maybe I got a better one!

This message was edited Jun 2, 2008 11:41 AM

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5040743

I think i'm going to be getting more minis, the fact that it made it through winter impresses me , I'm gonna get a bunch of them, :)
I'm waiting on Peace , 2 Olympiads, Mr.Lincoln, . I thought Olympiad was gonna be first to bloom, but the bud has just gotten bigger and bigger! Tomorrow I should have a good bud shot of that one. Peace is getting ready too.
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5040776

Not roses, but I wanted to show ya my painted Daisies, LOL!

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5040818

Melissa, that Tropicana is killing me I love it!! I love that Double Delight, Velnita. What beautiful blooms.
Hey Neal, I love those OGR's , wish I could grow them!! Guess what? My next rose purchase, is a Jackson & Perkins HT, called Gemini!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5042049

Marcy, thats a good idea about the zip lock bag! I've been thinking they needed something to hold moisture in.

OMG, Sandy, I LOVE your Painted Daisies!! I wintersowed some and have just been keeping my fingers crossed that they'll grow here. How did you start yours? What kind of soil and sun conditions do you have them in? I'm so happy to see them growing happily in our area, so I want your recipe for success! Your Iceberg is gorgeous too. Is that the climbing form? I've got a few of the regular bush Iceberg and they're just starting to bloom nicely- it is a strong grower for me too. Gemini is a really pretty one! Is space your issue with OGRs?

Melissa, how long have you had that Tropicana? I had to go back and look at it again, its soooo perfect!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #5042169

Neal!!! Your garden is AMAZING!!!! Just as I had imagined!
I love these daisies, They are in full sun, I planted last spring, got these little tiny plants from Michigan Bulb, for a few pennies, (yeah, I said it, the MG word), average soil conditions. Last year , they say and made thes cute little mounds, no pampering, kept them watered. And Tada!
Exactly, I would surely have the floribundas and OGR's if it weren't for space. All my roses are on their second season.
These Daisies are earlies, so I'm not expecting anythng after this flush.
Oops, yes Iceberg is a climber.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2008 4:54 PM

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2008
9:09 PM

Post #5042218

I've had it for years Neal. I don't know, probably at least 10 if not longer.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5042572

Sandy...love your painted daisies!!! I've never had much luck with them, but I really like them! And Iceburg...wowowow!!! My brother has an arbor with Iceburg climbers on it, and they are BEAUTIFUL!!! I have the shrub Iceburg...but may have to move it. I'm thinking it doesn't get enough sun. Oh ...and Sandy, your roses are gorgeous too!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5043378

Thanks Marcy! Something cool I found out about those Daisies is they make really good cut flowers!
My Midas Toush is nice tonite, in this twilight, it kinda glows.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5045683

Thanks, crash! This second year display has been such fun! Especially after last years struggle to keep all the newly moved plants watered. I know just where my Painted daisies are going now! Thanks for the tips:-) Oh, and you know there are floribundas out there that stay small and bloom almost continually. There are some I can't recall what they're calling them, but they're between floribunda and mini in stature, and can be planted between taller hybrid teas.

Melissa, that is good to know. That's the kind of permanence I want from a rose, and a good thing about the older, tried and true varieties- those are the ones you can get feedback from growers in your zone. Otherwise roses can be such a hit or miss gamble.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5045749

How cool... an Ohio etc rose thread.
I love seeing how roses "not on the west coast with 24/7-365 growing season" are doing.
They all look so pretty.

I've always found (with roses) the 1st year is the hardest. Mine are trying hard and making a little bit of a showing.
This 1st photo is the garden path leading to what I call the "woodland area" it's a big circle that I am building up with fallen branches and soil. I've planed poppies, blueberries, daylilies and rambling roses around the circle.

Maybe next year it will look like my vision *S*

Here's the pathway

Thumbnail by dovey

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5045755

This is English Sonnet

Thumbnail by dovey

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5045772

The 1st rose with 1 bloom is called "Daddy's Girls"
The last wine colored rose at the end is "RT 66"
The middle is "English Sonnet"
The rest are trying, but haven done anything yet

Thumbnail by dovey

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5045787

Are you bored yet?
Too bad.. I have one more photo of the pathway
The only blooming rose on this side is "The Poet"

Thumbnail by dovey

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #5045818

Bore me Dovey, Bore me!!! LOL
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
2:32 PM

Post #5045828

There was a Gihugic bush-tree-monster at least the size of a motor home in this area a couple of months ago.
We clipped, whacked, and finally chainsawed our way though it.
It still tries to come back, but I keep my eye on it vehemently.

The rose is a short climber called "Lunar Mist"

Thumbnail by dovey

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5045839

Hey Sandy *S*

I love your roses!
Was the lovely climbing blaze in the photo you posted the climber you were talking about on Joyce's thread?
I think it looks fab.
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5045929

How many of your roses who made the trip from CA made it? I thought that was a HUGE task! (Especially after moving those two monsters here!)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5045957

Out of the 20 roses I moved all lived but one... Euterpe died of root rot (which I still haven't figured out the why on that one)
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2008

Post #5045997

Oh my, that English Sonnet, is woonnderfullll...
my cl Blaze has more bloom today, it's getting ready to pop. Thanks Dovey, but I think, it needs a clematis, growing up through it, LOL.
Moving 20 roses that far, I think that's amazing.

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5051259

In between rain showers and downpours last night, I snapped a picture or two of my Peace with it's first blooms. Good thing too, cause with the wind and rain we had later, it probably isn't there any more!

Thumbnail by joycet

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5051428

Yay!!!!!! your'e Peace is open!! I 'm goo goo over the bloom on that one, mine hasn't opened yet. Just beautiful, Joyce.
My Olympiad is opening full of water.

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5051448

Crash, she's beautiful! Does she smell purdy?
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5051523

No, this one doesn't , but it is favorite bloomer, as it opens, the form is lovely, definitly my favorite. I know Peace is divine!! LOVE that rose only I'm not impressed with my plant. It doesn't get bushy like the others. does yours?
I know you are tired of hearing me brag about this Midas Touch, but for fragrance, wow! Jeremy and I were out this morning about 630 , and it's off the hook, Jeremy said"Is that that rose?' It's special.

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5051588

She is certainly beutiful to look at! My Peace bush isn't full either. Maybe that's a trait?
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5051613

I think maybe so , I just get 3 or 4 canes, they the slugs eat off all the leaves, so I get these sticks with stickers, with this amazing bloom, I think she's worth it tho. I bought Peace mainly because of the history of it.
My Mr. Lincoln has wee tiny little buds.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #5051880

Well...since I still don't know how to post a link to my album...I'll post a couple of pics here for you all to enjoy.
LOVE all these rose pictures!! I have to get another Peace rose!!

These are Carefree Delight ...along my driveway.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5051906

This one is assorted roses. Knockouts are not true to color? Little white one is White Cliffs of Dover...Dark red is ...I guess...my English rose that reverted to Dr. Huey. I don't remember which rose it was in the beginning.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5051918

This is my William Baffin rose, which is still coming out.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5051948

These are my Zeph roses. I know..the picture is cockeyed. I think that was the person taking it...lol. And the lighting on some of these pics is terrible...but it's because my batteries in the camera were low.
Ok...that's all the rose pics I took...except another of the knockouts. I wish I had gotten them all before the storms!!
And as soon as I find out how to post a link to my album...you can see my other pics!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5051961

OMG!!! Marcy!! That fence row is BEEEUUUTEEEFFUULLLL!!!!!
Can I have your Carefree?? hehe
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2008

Post #5051967

LOL Sandy!! I can send you a cutting?????? Or even try to start you one if you want?
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5051977

Oh my goodness, YES!!!! I think I want to come live in your garden .
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5051986

Ok...and then you can pull WEEDS!!!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5052006

Ok I like pulling weeds, that way I don't look so bizzare to the neighbors just staring at flowers or taking pics in a rain storm. haha Weeding is a cover.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5052147

LOL Sandy on the cover!! I know...as I stand out there taking pictures...and people whizzing up the road...I wonder what they are thinking?? I like to weed too...except when they get a big headstart on me and I am overwhelmed with them!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5052162

Your garden is wonderful, Marcy.
valrita

June 4, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5052185

Such beautiful roses---I hope the weather was kind to them.

Crash, Blaze is pretty--is it fragrant? How long does it bloom?
I love the Iceberg. I like white. It's so fresh. Midas is a nice bright yellow---and it's fragrant too? That's a definite plus!

Dovey, I love your new garden. I think it's pretty now so I can't wait to see what you have in store for it. English Sonnet is gorgeous. It's great to hear that almost all of your roses made it through the move.

Joycet, Peace has a great form. I may have to look into that one. IF I can find a place to plant another rose LOL

Marcy, Your roses are beautiful. Really. I love the look of the pink with salvia. Is that May Night Salvia? I'm going to show that pix to hubby when he gets home. I think he'll really like it.

This is my Strike It Rich, before the rain. I haven't went out to assess the damage yet.

Thumbnail by valrita

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5052208

Ooohhh that Strike it Rich is FABULOUS!

Marcy, I sure hope you're bringing a cutting of that Carefree Delight to me at the RU! Gorgeous, and of course the zephs oh my...I am so glad I got them!
valrita

June 4, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5052209

Close up of Strike It Rich

Thumbnail by valrita

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5053089

Thank you Sandy!
Velnita, thank you too...but no...that is not May Night Salvia. I am not sure what it is? I'll try to see if I can find the tag. It is a hardy salvia.
Joyce...yep...I will bring you a cutting of the Carefree delight.
Hoping I can keep this all straight!! LOL...I forgot to pay bills again, until Dave said something today...geesh!!! Good thing none are due until the 7th. I think I have too much on my mind right now!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2008
10:19 AM

Post #5056405

Velnita, I love your Strike it Rich!!! That's sooo pretty!! Is that a tea?
cl Blaze, is only slightly fragrant, and more so in the morning, Iceberg always smells real good. Peace and Midas are great. And they all bloom continuously through the season, Iceberg and Blaze, will have 2 big flushes, it seems, 1early , 1 late, but bloom sparatcially, through summer. Iceberg, way after Thanksgiving!

Neal, Disneyland is one I'm thing about getting. Cactuspatch was telling me it stays small.
This is Blaze with a little more blooms open.

valrita

June 5, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5056729

Your Blaze is really covered in blooms now. Very nice! Looks like you may need another trellis to hold him. Iceberg sounds like a rose that I'd like a lot. If my Don Juan doesn't pull through I will be shopping for a climber. I put an own-root Don Juan in the ground 6 weeks ago and so far, nothing. It had some leaves which got light in color but they didn't fall off. It's just sitting there. All the other roses are growing well.

Strike It Rich is a grandiflora with a light honey scent. It'll get about 5' tall and blooms in flushes like this about once a month until frost. It took our winter without any trouble and was the most disease-resistant of our roses last year. The amount of pink varies a little and after September the blooms get a little smaller---but it just keeps on blooming. As much as I love strongly fragrant roses, this rose was the star of the show last year. I picked it up at Knollwood last year. Glad you like it.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2008
12:36 PM

Post #5056766

That blaze is gorgeous Sandy!!!
Just love everyone's roses!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5056912

Sandy, I've read a lot of good things about Disney Land too, and I love those sunset colors. I haven't heard any local reports on their performance though. In California they can grow the weakest of performers and they'll thrive it seems (and makes me sick, LOL!). At least we don't have gophers, so there's some consolation. Your Blaze looks fabulous!

velnita, your Strike it Rich is gorgeous! Where did you get your own root Don Juan? Sounds like it had been in shade or the dark box in shipment and got a little sunburn when set out. I have noticed the own roots tend to do that "first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap" thing. I have nudged them along by potting them into larger pots and babying them for 6 weeks or so before planting in the garden. I've also read that sometimes Don Juan will have a year of blooms only, or a year of climbing canes only- kind of a quirk of the variety it would seem. Just make sure to keep it well watered this first year and it should do its thing underground even if you're not seeing much happen growth wise. Typically once a good root system is established (which I imagine has been happening for the last 6 weeks of this cool spring), you'll see a flush of growth.
valrita

June 5, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5057008

I bought Don along with Sheila's Perfume from Rogue Valley. She didn't have the size that I had ordered so she subbed a smaller one with a discount. Sheila pouted for a while but then started sending up shoots. Sheila's foliage stayed nice-looking. Don doesn't look too good but I don't know what to do (if anything). Hubby keeps telling me to be patient but it's so hard.

I agree about Disney Land. I've never seen one in person but I love all of the pix that I've seen of it. It's just stunning. I wonder how disease-resistant it is.
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5057012

Yeah you are right Neal, probably better do some research. I'm bad about that.

I have 2 Olympiad's, each on a different rootstock. I think they look like different flowers, maybe it's just me, and my camera doesn't capture the color, they are both deep red, blood red.
What you you guys think? Here's #1

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5057036

Sorry Velnita! we crossed! Pleesa ignore the camera cord I seem to get in all my pics. I'm special! LOL
Maybe I just need to let them open further.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 9:33 AM

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5057120

I stopped by the arboretum at UK yesterday to look at the rose garden. Thats a good way to see what grows well here. We'll be over there again in the next few days and this time I'll take notes! I was too overwhelmed to remember anything, LOL.
valrita

June 5, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5057293

Crash, they're both pretty but they do look different. Are you sure the soil is the same for both roses?

This is my pitiful Don Juan

Thumbnail by valrita

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5057314

The cane looks green and happy, I see some new growth, I'm thinking, like Neal, maybe some sunburn? I think it's probably just working on it's roots.

Now that you mention it, maybe, the soil in the front bed, #1 is a little richer.
valrita

June 9, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5079058

This rose bloomed today. I planted it bare root in April. Sunsprite (aka Friesia)

Thumbnail by valrita

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5082810

Beautiful Velnita. Like sunshine!

Marcy, I bagged up my starts from you last night. Hope it works!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5082957

Georgeous rose Velnita!! I love yellow roses...and just can't seem to keep one alive?????
Joyce...keeping my fingers crossed for you! Always more starts where those came from!!
crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5083296

I love that Sunsprite, I have oogled that on for a long time. My Peace bloomed.
Not the best picture tho...

crashbandiscoot
Springfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5083305

I've shown you all this one before, but I got a better pic...Olympiad.

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5084478

Oooooooo Awwwwwwww :-)
valrita

June 11, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5084936

Olympiad blooms look huge! Nice, rich red.

Is the Peace and Chicago Peace different roses?

I have aphids :-(
Ordered some lady bugs yesterday from Gardens Alive.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5100062

My Blue Rambler
Geo

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5100437

Ohhh Geo...that is so pretty!!!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5100975

Marcy
I layered that from the one Neal had here. I could try and layer a few and try to ship some later in the year if you like.
Geo
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5101254

If I like????????? I LIKE!!!!!!! Ty Geo!!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #5102162

velnita, I think Chicago Peace is a sport of Peace. Its mostly deep pink with some yellow showing toward the center.

Marcy, Blue Rambler really does take on a blue cast as the flowers age. Its a one time bloomer, but very vigorous and easy to grow. They have a spicy multiflora scent too. You can see it on some of these pics:

http://helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=15688&tab=10&l=2.6110.3&nr=67858

George, as the flowers take on the blue cast, try to get more pics. Not sure if the camera will pick up the color or not, but worth a try.

I've got to get out and so some, well...a lot of dead heading. For some reason I'm really bad about procrastinating with that. Its a real pain because since I've had cases of rosette virus, I dip the pruners in bleach solution between each cut.

If anyone is looking for a reliable white shrub, 'Seafoam' is hardy and vigorous. I'll post pics when I get em off the camera. 'Red Cascade', a miniature climber, is another I'm loving! Its covered in blooms and already has a ton of buds ready to replace them. I've done nothing as far as spraying or fertilizing, so they're doing it all on their own.
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2008

Post #5103061

I love the rose pics and they have me thinking (uhoh) I have a question to ask but I don't want to hijack the thread so I will start a new one :-)

Just giving a heads up so you will all come answer it.. lol
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5105196

Oh thanks Neal!! Sure is pretty!!!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5105435

Betty Prior

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy

dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6251855

Hey gang - I'm bumping this as I got a dmail from someone not in ORVG who had questions about starting roses from cuttings, and I sent her over here as I knew y'all would have all sorts of good info.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6252602

Ohhhh You don't want her to hear Poppas method... LOL
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6252808

Don't tell me - writing it down here will get us in trouble, right? ;->
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6253132

No Smarty...it's just not what people believe in...

He whacked off about a 10 -12 inch piece, took it where he wanted it planted, crammed it in the dirt and stuck one of Grams quart canning jars over it...By the time canning season came, the rose was growing and Gram got her jars back, unless they had a nick in the neck, then he got to keep them... LOL

Every fall he raked hills of leaves over all of his perennials...The roses got straw dumped on top, and each bush was severely pruned, and then a burlap sack tied over the packed leaf and straw mix on each bush...He actually added more to the sack and kinda slid it over the bush and tied it with twine...Feb in MI you could always tell where the roses were...Lumps in the snow drifts...LOL
I sure wish I had pics of his gardens...They would make all of ours look awful...and whatever he did, besides tilling in the compost pile...It made everything grow like crazy, but little work once he got it planted...He was always sitting on the porch...I do remember him planting Marigolds thick as they could be all down the tomatoe rows...very rarely did we find one of those huge ghastly green tomatoe worms...
He used soap on the roses to keep the aphids off...never had black spot or mildew...He said roses need air circulation so keep them clean and other things away from them so they can breathe...and he made compost tea!! I just remembered that...Four clumps of horse poop to a 2 gallon bucket and a 1 pound coffee can of compost left to brew for about a week in the sun...stir daily...mix with 2 more gallons of plain water and Water lightly... ;-))
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6255862

I have to agree with Dusty,
Every time I go to extreme measures, pamper and baby a cutting, it dies.
When I just stick them in the ground some cuttings make it and some don't... but my odds are better when I keep it simple and let survival of the fittest take it's course.

Dove
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6255872

I've always had the best luck just laying a cane down and plopping a rock on it, LOL.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6256014

Yeah Neal.. me too on long cane varieties, but those dinky teas its kinda hard to do...Speaking of which...do you or Geo happen to have another Fairy I could beg or buy?? I need 2 for these wrought irons... I have the one from Geo, but I need another one...
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009

Post #6256031

Dusty, I am working on you one now. I also hope to have a couple of more for the RU
George
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6256078

Have I told you lately that I love you????? Huggggs!!!
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6256436

When you'se guys plop those cuttings in the ground, do you dip them in any rooting stuff, or just let nature take it's course??
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6256631

I don't dip... although some swear by it.
I think those that swear by it don't plop.
*S*
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6256904

And ya don't plop...ya cram...LOL Ya plop when ya rock em...Poppa died before that dipping stuff was invented...
Only dipping he ever did was into his Prince Albert can to get terbaccy fer his pipe...
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6256956

*LOL*
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6256973

Have y'all heard of old timers making willow water for propagating plants? Natures own rooting hormone!
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6257199

I'd heard of that - and then completely forgot it! I wonder if sis has some willows in her woods...
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6265922

Aside from our simple plop and cram methods you may want to check these out
Rose Propagation
Seedpicker_TX's rose propagation thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/556678/
Vossner's propagation method: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/560421/
valrita

March 14, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6266136

Dovey, I'd really like to read the links you provided but none of the links seem to be working on Dave's right now (not even ones posted months ago). Is anyone else having this problem or is it just my computer?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6266140

They are not hyperlinks at the moment Velnita, but they are working fine for me...so far...
valrita

March 14, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6266173

Okay, I think I understand. I can copy and paste and they work just fine. Thanks! Now off to learn about propagation...
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6266226

Thank you Dovey - these are wonderful.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6266254

I just bumped them to the top of the rose forum so if you go there they should be easy to find
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/roses/all/
:)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America