Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Germinating zucchini seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 7, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dstradford
Sylmar, CA

May 31, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #5029211

Hi,

I found some zucchinis striped orange and green and want to germinate the seeds from them, but when I removed the seeds and planted 8 of them in seedling pots, nothing happened. Do I need to chill them for a period or do something else to germinate them?

Dan
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5032769

Hi Dan... Surp[rised your having trouble with those type of seeds. How old are they? Where they been stored if not commercial seeds. How are you planting them. How long ya been waiting for them to come up?

No, they don't need chilled to germinate. I always put two or three seeds to a pot.
dstradford
Sylmar, CA

June 1, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5033209

The seeds came from two zucchinis which my cousin had in her garden. The zucchini looked a bid old and shriveled and were perhaps left on the vine quite a while as they were woody and not edible. I opened them and, within a day or two, planted 8 seeds with no response showing for the three weeks that I watered them. I'm glad to hear they don't need chilling. I'll give it another shot. I used a rather porous soil mix, more of a mulch, not a potting soil, so I could try a potting soil.

Really appreciate the info.

Dan
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5035064

Dan.. I wonder if you planted them too soon. Maybe the seeds should have dried out more. If you try again and the seeds don't come up with in a about a week, I would say that they are not viable.

I hope ya cna get some going, it fun growing relative and friends seeds.
trillium612
Portage, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 1, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5036278

I agree, I think you should let them dry out first. Maybe give them a wash first, I'm not sure if the pulp has growth inhibitors. Hopefully someone else will. It is also possible if they are a hybrid, they will not be viable seeds. Did they seem like nice hard seeds or kind of skinny and empty? If you cut a couple in half, you should be able to see if there is anything inside. "Dead" seeds will be empty. If you have ever had seedless watermelon, they will look kind of like those white seeds.
dstradford
Sylmar, CA

June 8, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #5072688

I very much appreciate the feedback. In my second effort on May 31 I planted 16 seeds in a fine-particle potting soil (the previous attempt was with a mulch with coarse particles. I had also refrigerated the seeds for a month. On June 7, I got three vigorous sprouts with three more the next day (today). Hurrah! Thanks for the encouragement.
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5074097

: ) Way to go!!!!! Glad ya got some to finally germinate. Hope they bring ya lots of veggies to eat.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5096338

If the plant was hybrid, chances are, the fruit won't resemble the parent. Don't be surprised if you don't get what you thought you would. If there were any other squash planted nearby, they cross easily too. You won't know what you have until you grow out this generation though.

Squash do not need to be chilled or stratified to germinate, you probably just didn't have fertile seeds. Squash need to be seriously overgrown and very mature to have viable seeds, the skins will be tough like a pumpkin or even a gourd. The color will be different, not resembling the squash you ate at all. After the squash is picked, seed viability can be increased by letting it sit for a week or so before cutting it open. Remove and clean seeds, let them dry several weeks before storing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America