-
AuthorContent
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5030144

Tamara, A very interesting article and as you said, an unusual and lovely flower. Anytime you mention blue, hummingbirds, and butterflies in one article you've got my attention. I've never heard of salvia as an illicit drug, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. As far as the flowers/leaves as an incense, DH and I throw bergarten sage and common sage leaves on the spent charcoal to chase away the misquitos at sundown. I don't know that it actually works, but it does make a lovely incense.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5030639

It's Salvia divinorum that is used as a drug (and I believe it was used long ago by the Aztecs or Maya so it's not really a new thing, but it's been getting more attention in the news lately) I don't think there are too many people growing that one as an ornamental so us gardeners don't have too much to worry about!
zville123
Zanesville, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5030720

From what I understand, Salvia divinorum is not easy to grow. I think it's tropical. Some states are making it an illegal substance. Mostly because of teenagers abusing it. Next, they'll probably go after the beautiful daturas.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: High Chaparral: Salvia clevelandii Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting article on a neat plant... podster 4 Sep 12, 2010 5:57 AM
Does anyone know about Carl Nielsen? bmuller 1 Jan 3, 2014 12:53 PM
New plants GardenOfJan 0 Jun 2, 2008 7:20 AM
My Chapparal May Be a Goner TexasTam 5 Mar 27, 2011 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America