-
AuthorContent
fremar
Comer, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #5033959

I waited too late to start my lettuce and only got a few smallish heads of buttercrunch. I did let one grow and what I think are seeds are developing on the top, I need to know if these are seeds and how can I collect them for next years seed and when are they ready to collect?

Thumbnail by fremar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2009
8:23 AM

Post #6390260

I have almost the same thing happening to my butter/bibb lettuce. Pretty yellow flowers in the early morning hours? The bottom leaves are still good eating but the tops are very bitter. I'm going to try to get some seeds, we have pleanty of bees in my back yard. Please update if you have any luck actually getting seeds from yours.
A side note: My greenleaf lettuce is still doing well and haven't encountered the bitter taste problem with it...it was labled as 'grand rapids' yeah, I know, Michigan or Minnesota somewhere far from zones 8 and 9. I know this isn't any help but I am interested if you manage to get good seeds off that plant.
Peace!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 10, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6390505

Just let the seeds dry on the plant, cut the seed heads, and let them dry completely then thresh out the seeds. You may want to put cloth bags on the heads as they become dry to prevent shattering.
fremar
Comer, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6395739

ditto to FD
I have 8 -10 left that are from last year seeds that are growing this year and I think I'll let one go to seed again this year
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2009
7:03 AM

Post #6398495

Thanks for the advice farmerdill. This is a fun new plant for me...It's been awesome, over two months now with not buying lettuce from a store :)

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6424199

I had some lettuce go to seed last year, and they had the most gorgeous blue flowers. If you have lots of birds in your garden, you may not have seeds left to harvest.
Wulfsden
Riverdale, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6425812

Most lettuces are super easy to collect seeds from. Let if flower, wait till seed pod dries. Cut it off, and put it in a covered paper bowl in the shed for a week. Split it open and you get TONS of seeds. The cut and come again varieties I grow usually produce off-white seed.
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2009
6:30 AM

Post #6426974

Honeybee: what sort of variety lettuce? Blue flowers sounds really cool. Right now we have a few cilantro that are about three feet tall and soooo many great white flowers on it- sorta like baby's breath. I'm at the point where it's "hell, let them bolt, they make good plants to look at as well as eat."
:)
And thanks again to various folks on collecting the seed.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6437275

Neworleansdude - Sorry, I don't know which lettuce produced the blue flowers. I purchased one of those mixed salad packets. As it turned out, the only one I really liked to eat from the "mix" was Arugula (Rocket). This year, Arugula is the only lettuce I have planted.
seedlibrary
Accord, NY

April 29, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6479606

Lettuce is a great beginner seed saver plant. Keep in mind that there is some cross pollination between lettuce varieties if they are flowering at the same time. Here at Seedy Farm we separate out lettuce varieties by 25 feet. If your garden is too small, consider choosing one variety to let go to seed each year. Also, save seeds from the healthiest plants. If you feel that your lettuce plants were not full grown, were off-type, or bolted early, the seed will not be mature enough to grow healthy plants the next year. Here is a picture of our Black Seeded Simpson lettuce bolting so you can see how large the plants get (about 3 feet). Stay seedy!

Thumbnail by seedlibrary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6479886

I've had good luck collecting seed from red romaine and deertongue lettuces. These lettuces bloom at different times, and come true from seed.

just let the seed ripen on the plant (it will start to split the seed pod) and collect on a dry day.

happy gathering!
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #6528769

This last week I've been cutting the tops off, just whole rather than hand picking some of the seeds like I did at first and they are drying in the shed now. From first inspection looks I should have hundreds of (hopefully) viable ones.

Thanks again for the advice yall.
crazyfish3
Pensacola, FL

May 11, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6531624

I planted a few redsails and wild fire mix in march. I've never planted leaf lettuce before. I was real happy with the colors and taste. Hey I share with the neighbors. Some of the plants are starting to bolt up but then lay over, but get longer. Should I try to collect any seeds for this fall or buy something at the local feed and seed? Thanks!
neworleansdude
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6537666

Crazyfish: I'm not sure, hopefully someone with more knowledge can add to this, but I'd think for any sort of lettuce in P-cola you should start them inside in January and the move them outside by the end of Feb.? From what I've read all of us in the Gulf Coast south of i-10 should plant lettuce in the fall or winter. This is my first year doing it, and I know different varities can tollerate more or less heat. I did Grand Rapids Green Leaf and some sort of Butter/Bibb. They were outside before Mardi Gras and the best harvests were in early April.

Then again, I have a friend of a friend that I went over to her place a month ago and she had some really great redleaf stuff going on that wasn't even starting to bolt. Growing it in a container about (it was oval so...) 3ftx1 1/2 and 1 1/2 deep.

I'm saving as many of my seeds as I can and am thinking about doing a planting in October.

I don't know if this is of any use, but I know we have basically the same zone. Execpt ya'll get colder in the winter and we get hotter in the summer.

I'd say save any seeds you can, and plant them when it's cooler. It doesn't take that much time to save seeds, and then you can always grow again or trade with other folks.

Peace out.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #6537781

crazyfish, yes, go ahead and save some seeds of your Red Sails. (That's a good OP variety that is great for your warmer area.) I'd wait until you see the seeds start to darken up so you know they are mature, and keep an eye on the birds...they'll know when they are ready, too.

Shoe
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

June 11, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9161063

ANOTHER QUESTION
Here in Brooklyn NY, we had a very mild rainy winter of 11-12, despite some weather weird-ing ie the October Blizzard.
We only had about three low temperatute cold snaps, still I was suprised at the things that overwintered - oregano, thyme, and cilantro.
The cilantro plant grew about 31/2 feet high. Yes the cilantro flowers do look like baby' s breath!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9162959

From what I read, lettuce is LESS prone to cross-polination trhan most plants, even when grown close together.

"The structure of the lettuce flower encourages self-pollination ..."

seedlibrary said:
>> there is some cross pollination between lettuce varieties ...

I wonder if you are concerned about producing very pure batchs of seed to sell, or perpetuate one variety pure for many years? Is your Seedy Farms the one in Hudson Valley?

My guess is that, if a home gardener just wants a tablespoonful of seed to plant for the next few years, and would not be very bothered by thinning out or tasting the 5-10% "off" lettuce plants that were cross-pollinated, not worrying about separation distances might be practical. Would you agree?

Or is lettuce more like Zinnias, that seem to delight in sneaking around at night from bed to bed, cross-pollinating everything in sight?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America