Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Morning glories on Reunion island: very exciting

Communities > Forums > Article: Morning glories on Reunion island
bookmark
Forum: Article: Morning glories on Reunion islandReplies: 5, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5034992

I am growing my first morning glories this year. Do you happen to know the names of the first three pictures you posted? That orange one with the tubular shaping is gorgeous (as are all the rest, too).
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 1, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5035048

Hi Gessiegail
Then you will soon be rewarded, they are fast growing and bloom profusely.
The first three pics are; Stictocardia bearviensis, Ipomoea nil (I love this delicate blue shade) and Ipomoea purpurea.
Quite a few of the species shown in this article are weeds in the tropics and most people here would pass by without a glance or even spray them with weed-killer, can you believe it?
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5035144

Wow, incredible, I really like the tubular shaped ones especially the one you are calling stictocardia bearviensis. Someone here at DG sent me seed one year and I thought it was one of the wood roses or merremia. It turned out to be a vine with small white blooms nothing exotic like your photos. Are you a seed collector? I am sure there are many who would love to try some of the beauties. Thanks for the photos and great article.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5035153

I need to get some small sticks just to get them climbing and then they can latch on to something bigger behind them. Just can't wait and so glad you wrote this article.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 1, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5035461

There are many members of the Convlovulaceae family which produce small white flowers, in temperate area as well as tropics but we sure get more colorful ones here in the tropics.
Yes, I am a seed collector and saler, I do not think I am supposed to make any publicity here but I am the person behind barbadine.com, I grow part of the seeds I offer and collect in the wild, this being the reason why I learnt secure tree climbing, subject of the article of last week. I also collect seeds when I travel in the area, Madagascar, Mauritius, the Comoros and so on.
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #5035574

Well, merci beaucoup for the great tip to where I can find these exotic seeds. I will go check it out right now. There are forums for putting that information out here on Dave's. Joann

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Morning glories on Reunion island Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very pretty onewish1 4 Jun 2, 2008 3:21 AM
Orange! gloria125 7 Aug 15, 2009 5:49 PM
Nice phicks 2 Jun 2, 2008 10:40 AM
Very well written and fascinating bluespiral 2 Jun 3, 2008 12:22 AM
yes, I enjoyed reading all of this bonnemadame 1 Jun 3, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America