Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Deadheading Lewisia cotyledon

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bethanski
Rochester, NY

June 1, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5037387

I am curious as to whether or not I should deadhead my Lewisia cotyledon plants to encourage rebloom. I've read online in a couple of places that I should, but not with enough frequency to completely convince me. If I should deadhead them, should I cut the stalks close to the fleshy leaves or further up close to where the flowers used to be?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5037422

Unless you're hoping to get seeds from them, it never hurts to deadhead them. I don't have enough experience with these to know whether they'll rebloom or not but it won't hurt the plant to cut off spent blooms. And on these I don't think it matters where you cut the stalk, for aesthetic reasons I'd probably cut it closer to the base but from a reblooming standpoint it shouldn't matter.
DallasDad
Murphy, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2008
12:43 PM

Post #5040010

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I'm still waiting for the first blooms from my Lewisia. I have four healthy plants sharing a pot. They are growing, but very very slowly. It's rather difficult to keep them happy down in Texas, but I'm hoping they'll mature enough to bloom someday.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America