Kayaking in SE Alaska near Juneau

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have had the opportunity to visit the Juneau area for the last year and I finally got my kayak up here last week. I have had some already wonderful experiences with the coastal community. This is a summary picture of what I get to see here. Whales, glaciers, and mountains That is the back of a humpback that I got to share the water with.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2008 9:56 PM

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is a little closer when he was feeding underneath me.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The Mendenhall Glacier was quite dramatic from out in the water.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Each island is an experience to see rich flora in the soils of AK. These were orchids that were everywhere.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This friend was nice enough to pose while I quietly kayaked past his fishing grounds.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Lots of rocks to frame in the mountains all around.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

A friendly warm beach to sit and relax by a fire. Plenty of flat rocks to skip out on the salt water.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Lupines fill the high tide area to give pleasure to a quiet sit on a log.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Lots of whales to chase or just wait until they pass with their great blast of air.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The rock gardens are well done here. I must find who does their landscaping.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Tomorrow I have the day off so I will fly to more areas of discovery in a place called Berners Bay.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous pics Sofer!!

Gate (Rochester), WA(Zone 7b)

Wow! These are so cool - what an experience you must of had!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank you both for the comments. I am excited that I am going back up in 2 weeks to paddle and fish for salmon. Oh yeah and work. I almost forgot.

Work? Doesn't look like to work to me! LOL Hope the work is fun too.

Forget the work and just go paddling and fishing!! LOL

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

Hello Soferdig. It looks like you had a spectacular trip to the Juneau area. My DH and I just got back from Haines, where we were helping a friend build a house at the bustling metropolis of Mosquito Lake, 30 mi north of town. About 12 yrs ago, we kayak-camped in Glacier Bay (with same friend, a naturalist in GBNP). It was awesome. What an incredible place. I was wondering if you had the opportunity to sample nagoon berry jam while you were up there? We picked berries and made jam on our GBNP trip, and I tried to buy some in Haines this last trip, but it's really hard to come by.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

No I haven't had any. I'll have to check it out. I am heading up there in 2 weeks to catch some salmon and work hard saving lives. LOL
You are absolutely right about the Haines Metropolis. I have been up there two times and saw its wonderful location. Your friend is fortunate to live in such a beautiful area. Steve

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

Did you see any bears on your last trip? We were hoping to see a "browny", but the salmon run was late and the bears hadn't shown up yet. A friend who lives in Eagle River outside of Anchorage was in "bear lock down" a couple of weeks ago, so it sounds like the big guys are out and about now.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I rarely see bears because I don't hang out in their river locations. I have seen them kayaking along the coast but only briefly. Kodiak island I saw a lot of them there. I try to leave them alone. After all I knew Timothy Treadwell when I was out on Kodiak Island. "Grizzly meat man".

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

oh wow - you knew the Grizzly Man? I saw the Herzog documentary on him. unique individual / tragic ending. I definitely prefer seeing grizzlies from afar. The times that I backpacked in Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Tetons, and kayak-camped in Glacier Bay NP, I was always worried that we would encounter one.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Soferdig
What line of work are you in? I'm in the wrong business. I never get to go to such impressive places. LOL

You live in an impressive state, Cajun. One that I intend to visit again one of these days. :~)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It is very pretty here and I love it. I always loved our once a year visit to the mountains of Tennessee when I was a kid and always dreamed of living in the mountains. I have had many disappointments in my life, but living here in these mountains is a dream come true.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am a traveling veterinarian and travel to the places that I have not been before. I have for the last few years been working in Alaska. I am in Juneau now and have the next 2 days off and am headed to Sitka to take my Kayak out there for my work the next month. I will stay there in a lighthouse on an island. I am looking forward to a couple of days off. Right now it is rainy so who knows what will be tomorrow.
I too love KY. Spent a lot of time there in the 70's doing the Derby and the Mammoth Caves. Beautiful area in the spring!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Are you working on "regular" animals or are you doing some wild animal work? Does your wife get to travel with you? I know some nurses who travel. Must be nice getting to see so much new country and meet so many people. I'd miss the herd and the zoo that own me. LOL

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

My DW chooses to not come up so I can't feel sorry for her. Yes I work on regular animals from guinea pigs to horses. Today and yesterday I had off and went out to the ocean at Sitka and it was beautiful! Today I hiked up the mountains to a beautiful site and got to sleep in the deep sedums of the Juneau mountains. It was spectacular both days. I'll have to post pictures when I get home next week. Wow!

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

wow sofer! thanks for the pictures :)

This is the first year DH and I havent gone to Alaska :( I am definitely going thru withdrawls :(
your pictures sure brightened my day tho!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have a million and will give you the best. But you just have to wait. Good stuff.

Anticipation! I can hardly stand it! lol

Cheryl ~ Pea

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I just came down from a hike up to the glaciers yesterday and it was gorgeous sunshine and lots of snow caves and flowers. Pictures to follow.

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

yay!!

Thumbnail by 1AnjL
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Some people just start their day off good. Leaving Juneau on ferry to Sitka early in the morning.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Starting my hike up Purservernce trail. Lots of water falls and snow caves to explore along this hike right outside of Juneau.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is near Glory Hole where the gold mines were. Not a bad place to mine for gold. No bears yet seen.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This was a nice stop for a short lunch in the wildflowers and to pick salmon berries. Nobody on this 5 miles of trail.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I love the cow parsnips. They are huge here. I danced to my I-pod to celebrate the beauty of this natural area.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I found a large stash of gold here. Iron pyrite more likely. The granite around here is still being mined for gold. Trouble is finding a place to stash the tailings.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The fall colors of the alpine meadows is quite wonderful. The sedums are deep and beautiful. I took a nap on a mattress of about 12" of soft sedums.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Alpine ponds are so inviting to soak in. But forget it wayyyyy tooooo cold! Beautiful anyway.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.