Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: A Plant for Your Garden That Does it All: Butterfly attraction to the Heptacodium?

Communities > Forums > Article: A Plant for Your Garden That Does it All
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Plant for Your Garden That Does it AllReplies: 4, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
9:38 AM

Post #5039621

Interesting article, Larry. Thanks for bringing this shrub/tree to our attention.

Do you have good luck with attracting butterflies or birds to your garden with this particular shrub?

It looks like it might be a natural for the hummingbirds, too...?

And anything to report about deer munching on it? )-:

Thanks a lot. t.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5041059

Wow, Larry, fascinating - I will have to zip over to the Arnold Arboretum myself and check this out! I love the look of the bark...

Carrie
alyrics
Beachwood, OH

June 2, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5041198

I got my little start of Heptacodium from Bluestone Perennials for $4
I've had it 2 yrs now and it's about 48" tall.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5047505

tabasco--Butterflies love it and I've seen hummingbirds flitting about the blossoms as well. While we've had deer damage in our garden during hard winters, they generally leave us alone during the growing season. They've totally ignored the Heptacodium.

alyrics--Has your Heptacodium bloomed yet?

Larry☼
alyrics
Beachwood, OH

June 4, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #5049980

LarryR - no mine has not bloomed, but I put it in a shady spot on purpose. I have a hop hornbeam ( forest tree - not planted ) right above it that I am trying to decide about cutting down. Since it can be brought along as either a single trunk tree or a multi trunk shrub I thought I still had a little time to decide what I want.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Plant for Your Garden That Does it All Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Heptacodium questions dlhs39 1 Jun 3, 2008 7:55 PM
heptacodium russty 5 Sep 9, 2008 1:10 AM
Heptacodium oregonrose 1 Jun 6, 2008 5:19 AM
Any deer resistant info on Heptacodium cedar18 5 Jun 13, 2008 7:28 PM
Interesting plant Cville_Gardener 1 Oct 7, 2013 8:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America