Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: my poor hydrangeas. :(

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

June 2, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5041060

i tried to post this on the hydrangea forum. but it wouldnt let me. man, i love this sight though. anyways. i dont know what is wrong with my hydrangeas. it came out, then we had that late freeze and it turned to mush. then it came out again, and now its dying again. probably my dang dogs. i dont know. maybe i should move it to the front somewhere.

Thumbnail by jessnjus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5041407

I'm not sure what happened,but I would prune off all of the dead branches and pick off the bad leaves.If your dogs urinate in that part of the yard,I would move it.Lynn
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5042299

It could be getting too much sun or not enough water. They need A LOT of water and don't like afternoon sun. I see that in this pic its in the sun, was it morning or afternoon? If you could plant it under a tree where it would get dappled sunlight or where it can get morning sun, that would be best. I have one that gets a few hours of afternoon sun, and if I don't water it every day before the sun gets to it, it wilts. Hope this helps.
jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

June 2, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #5042335

its on the north side of the house. so it only gets morning sun. i dont water it much though. i will start and see what happens. it did really good last year. im sure its a really old plant.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5042368

Watering could be the problem, but they normally wilt first. If you've seen it wilting for awhile, that could be it. But, if the leaves just started looking like that without wilt first it could be something else. I'm definately not an expert! Maybe some bug or something? Hope you figure it out!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5042383

Jessnjus,

If you aren't a paying member then you can't post of all Forums. If you are a member then something is wrong.

Can you protect your hydrangea with a 'cage' for awhile? If your dogs are lifting their legs on it, well, it will suffer. Also mulch of decayed leaves would help keep the soil cool & moist. If your soil is moist in that area and it has been raining on a regular basis then watering too much may cause a problem. When I hand water with the hose I try not to get the base of the plant wet, the roots that take up water are a few inches out from the base.

Hope you can figure it out.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jessnjus
Oklahoma City, OK

June 2, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5042726

if i did decide to move it, is it a good time of year to do it? i know you arent suppose to do it if it is too hot. plus as old as it is, im sure the root ball is gigantic.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America