-
AuthorContent
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5042320

When we moved to our house, there was a double delight rose planted in front of the house. Where it was, it didn't get sunlight until probably noon or 1, so last spring I moved it to a different location that gets sun all day. Before it had been a bit scraggly, but when I moved it last year it sent up tons of new shoots and had a few of the beautiful blooms. This year it as tons of blooms, but they're all completely red. A deep, deep red, and it appears as if half the petals the blooms used to have simply aren't there. It's like someone cut the middles out of them. Is this because I moved it, or perhaps the weird weather pattern we've had? I loved this rose and thought I'd be getting more blooms, now they look a little mutated. Oh, and they always used to have a very strong perfume. Now its very faint. What have I done?! Any help is appreciated!

Kristie
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5042442

Kristie,

Lots of roses are grafted on to a root stock. Sounds like your root stock has sent out shoots and taken over. You might want to take a look at the base of the plant and see if this is what has happened. You should be able to tell where the graft is, but, it will be a thorny experience, wear some good heavy gloves.

If the root stock plant has taken over then there is some bad news. It is almost impossible to get rid of the new unwanted stems, they just keep growing back. You would be better off starting over with a new plant.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5042802

Well, I went out poking around to look at it. It didn't appear to be grafted, but I'm a beginner, so who knows. Plus, the part that is in bloom I am almost positive is part of the old plant, not the new shoots. There are three really tall shoots that are on the outside that have no blooms at all. Today while looking at it, I noticed a few more blooms have opened, and don't look quite as bad as the others. These actually have fuller petals, and I did notice some white streaking on the very outer petals and just a bit in the centers. I hope that it isn't grafted, but, if it is, I guess I have a new, "interesting" rose on my hands! Thanks for the help!

Kristie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America