CLOSED: Bug "eggs" on Crape Myrtle??

Brooklyn, NY

When I went to water my crape myrtle tonight, I found hard, little white egg type things on the tips of the new leaves. Any idea what this could be? I did notice an aphid running along one of the leaves. Here's some pics

Thumbnail by Bocce
Brooklyn, NY

Another pic

Thumbnail by Bocce
Brooklyn, NY

And one more. Any help with ID is appreciated. I planted this tree last year and we've really enjoyed it. It's come along nicely and is looking good this year, until now!

Thumbnail by Bocce
Gresham, OR

When looking for the answer to what these 'white things' are, this thread came up and now I'm a member of Dave's garden. I found these same things on my crepe myrtle yesterday and I've seen them on my indoor ficus, too. My ficus has 'had' these for a few months, but still looks healthy. Has anyone given the answer? I'm new to this site, so maybe I just can't find it... .

(Zone 7a)

Welcome, notherkathy. I don't see the answer here, either. Maybe the original poster will come back and tell us what they found out?

Gresham, OR

For those who might be interested---I found the answer!!! It is gutation that has dried...a normal, natural thing. Rather than try and tell you what gutation is here---you'll probably be happier going on line and simply typing in 'gutation'. Now we know... .

(Zone 7a)

Oh! LOL Dried plant sap. I have some plants that do that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images