Photo by Melody

Propagation: rooting bottlebrush ( callistemon)

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 5, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

June 3, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5046867

HI Everyone, I am new in these forums. I have been trading on DG for a couple of years, but never got into the forums. I am looking forward to meeting you and learning from you.

Does anyone know how to root bottle brush trees? Mine was gorgeous this year and I would like to have a few more. Thanks, Ibartoo
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5058068

Hi,
If you mean Callistemon, Take cuttings from semi-ripe wood in summer. Bottlebrush can be grown with patience from seeds. Gather dried flowers and keep in them paper bags to let seeds fall; plant in spring, sowing on the soil surface. Lynn
yzkwik
Trenton, SC

June 7, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5068319

Hi Ibartoo,

I am also new on these forums. I have been able to root many bottlebrush they seem to root quite easily. I take cuttings in September making sure that they have at least three nodes on them, remove all leaves except the top six or so and then dip and stick. I use Dip and Grow for the dipping hormone at a 1 to 15 ratio-1 Dip and Grow to 15 water. Potting soil I use fine chipped pine bark and add perlite-3 parts pine bark to 1 part perlite. I have a misting system which I use but you can take a large freezer bag and wet your cuttings and then put in the bag, making sure you maintain bag moisture-after three or so weeks they or it should be rooted. You also can use powdered hormone just follow the direction on the can.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

June 8, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5072573

Thank you so much, Out of desperation, I just snipped some cuttings and started them with rootone and composted pine bark mulch and put them in a ziplock bag. I can't wait to see if this works. I will try again in september if these are not successful.
Ibartoo

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5100864

I took a cutting of hardwood cutting and stuck it in the ground in partial shade couple of week ago, and look like it took! The upright bottlebrush that bloomed red.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

June 19, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5124988

It'll work, ibartoo. Just don't let direct sunlight hit any part of the baggie, and pot them up in 4-6 weeks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America