Crested Sedums

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I have been amazed by the appearance of crested sedums showing up at the garden centers near me this summer. I have seen at least 3 different crested plants that are hardy around here, and snapped up one so far for a outside dish garden.

The thing that cracks me up is that none of the staff understand crested plants, and the DG PNW group is also silent on this. Its like no one seems to know what to do with them in the garden. I can understand, but I am currently getting pretty excited about dish gardens for these plants. I just put one together with a crested Sedum fosteranium, with S. f. purpeanium around it to show the difference between the two plants.

Attached is the crested plant photo, before potting up.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

I hope I can find some around here!

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

You need to show us your completed project. I'll bet it's gorgeous!

You might want to start a dialogue with Wayne Fagerlund, who's responsible for the wonderful photos at http://www.sedumphotos.net/main.php He seems to know an awfully lot about them.

Lima, OH

Wow......When I saw "crested" in the post title my first thought was WHY???? Until this one I've never seen anything crested I'd admit to owning, but this one is awesome! If I ever see one I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat! Great find, Rob!

Sharon

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Great plant! I'll have to look at some of the nurseries here and up where my son goes to college to see if there's anything like that.

Great link Marilyn! THANKS!

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Awesome plant!! Does it have normal growth as well? I have Sedum reflexum cristatum(hardy here in 6b) but there is a large proportion of "normal" growth, although these will produce the crested growth if potted up on their own--I didn't know there were more!!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's another crested one, labeled S. praeltum 'cristata'. I believe its incorrectly named, and should be S. praealltum This one is entirely crested.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

Well, I did get in touch with Wayne Fagerlund, who tells me he is responsible for the crested plants that are showing up locally. He runs the nursery about 60 miles south of here, which is in the pictures about raising sedums commercially.

He got back to me with all the local nurseries that have plants locally, so I ran over to one near by and scored 3 more crested plants. S. album fm cristata, S album fm cristata (Borchii) and S. 'Wayne's Brain', which I have emailed him about parentage info.

My pots are smaller than many posted in this forum, as I don't want sedums making a total mess of the pot, and I want the crested plants to be the biggest part of the show in each pot. I just potted up the new plants this afternoon, and it was not pretty. S. album seems far more fragile than S. fosterianium so the plants suffered a bit.

I decided on potting up S album fm cristata seperately, as the cresting was prettly low to the ground, and I was concerned about it getting hidden by other plants.

I will see about getting pics up shortly.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

AD - you owe me! LOL!!!! Look forward to seeing your plants.

For y'alls entertainment, I now offer you these shots:

Here is Sedum fosteranium, with S. f. cv purpeanium

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

S. album var crestata

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

S. rupestum cv 'Wayne's Brain'

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

S album cristata (Borchii) with S album 'Murale'

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Great job, AD! I've looked at Fagerlund's site and wish that he shipped to CA. He has a great selection of Sedums. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a "Wayne's Brain." Maybe someday I'll find one.

And no crest on these, but S. 'Spiral Staircase' with S. 'Sunset Cloud'. I believe that Spiral Staircase is one of Wayne's cultivars.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

There are still around my area, so I guess I could put a care package for those that want. But it is a weekend solo with my 3.5 yo son, so my first shopping would have to be next week.

And I do have a crested S. fosteranium sitting around looking for a home, I think.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Those are lovely plants. The way you've potted the "Wayne's Brain" is especially nice...great job of showing off these unusual specimens!

Thank you for the compliment.

I love the pot that Wayne's Brain is in. I do my plant pot shopping at the local thrift stores, especially for the C&S crowd. And that pot that WB is in is one of the better recent scores I have had. And it is actually one legs about 1/2" long, so it is even cooler in person.

I am still looking for the elusive item that can be a pot for the perfect succulent. Right now I have not seen it, but I know it is close: butter dish, fondue pot, CB radio, telescope. Where is it?

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

AnalogDog....Did you try to extract the "technique" for producing these crested plants? They appear to be popping up in a number of locations. I bought one at a local hardware chain store. Is this done by irradiation? Irradiation (think Xrays, gamma rays, etc, not Roswell) has been used for a number of years now, in commercial veggie/fruit crops...to produce "mutants". This looks like it surpasses the old-tymey uses with chemical mutagens such as Colchicine, and Gibberellic Acid. Will Wayne of "Wayne's Brain" (great name) divulge any secrets...? Very curious.

Great show. Thank you! I too love your 'Wayne's Brain' ensemble. Perfect together! So the pot is not really a plant pot to begin with? Did you drill holes?

Yeah. I have a carbide tipped bit especially made for ceramics. One half inch in size. That has to be the toughest pot to drill I have ever done. It took about 20 minutes of drilling to get through 3/16" or so.

There are a huge number of plant pots for those that like to overpot plants. The plant in a drained pot, with another pot over it to decorate it and hold water. I think it may have been one of those, or maybe a strange ash tray, or candy dish or something. I can't tell with many of the pots, as they are often showing water lines, or missing lids when I buy them at thrift stores.

But to me they are pots of the finest sort.

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Nice plants analog! Love your pics! Clem

Hi AD:
you certainly have a nice collection of Crested Sedums. I only have a couple, but was wondering if you ever seen this one around. I've had it for about 3 or 4 years now, its growing into a bush, and new branches grow crested. The stem base is flatten out too. It came labeled with the common name of 'Dwarf Cockscomb' with ID as Sedum reflexum crest. Wonder if you or Wayne Fagerlund could shed some additional info on it.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

2nd Photo:

Thumbnail by DougC

I have a S. reflexum which is crested, and is my most recent purchase. Now, while I have a nice set of them, I have to bow to you, as all of mine were only purchased in the last month, and I never knew that there were crests available.

With that note, I dub you King of the Crested Sedums.

Here's mine, which looks little like yours.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Worcester, MA

Great pictures and arrangements. I love crested succulents. so could I have one, huh? Just one? What do you say?

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Nice looking you both! Clem

I found it accidentally, looking for another succulent, in Miles Anderson's "Cacti & Succulents" book, its correct ID is S. praealtum cristata.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

I was at a friends today and he had this plant in his garden. Anyone know the name?

Thumbnail by Kell

I think it looks a lot like Doug's S. praealtum cristata.

Kell, yes its Sedum praealtum cristata, here is photo of new one I recently picked up, looks just like your photo.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

I tried to dig it out but my friend would not let me. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.