-
AuthorContent
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2008
7:10 AM

Post #5050438

I have been amazed by the appearance of crested sedums showing up at the garden centers near me this summer. I have seen at least 3 different crested plants that are hardy around here, and snapped up one so far for a outside dish garden.

The thing that cracks me up is that none of the staff understand crested plants, and the DG PNW group is also silent on this. Its like no one seems to know what to do with them in the garden. I can understand, but I am currently getting pretty excited about dish gardens for these plants. I just put one together with a crested Sedum fosteranium, with S. f. purpeanium around it to show the difference between the two plants.

Attached is the crested plant photo, before potting up.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
7:27 AM

Post #5050447

I hope I can find some around here!
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
7:35 AM

Post #5050449

You need to show us your completed project. I'll bet it's gorgeous!

You might want to start a dialogue with Wayne Fagerlund, who's responsible for the wonderful photos at http://www.sedumphotos.net/main.php He seems to know an awfully lot about them.
tervherd
Lima, OH

June 4, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5051538

Wow...When I saw "crested" in the post title my first thought was WHY???? Until this one I've never seen anything crested I'd admit to owning, but this one is awesome! If I ever see one I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat! Great find, Rob!

Sharon
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5051623

Great plant! I'll have to look at some of the nurseries here and up where my son goes to college to see if there's anything like that.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #5052482

Great link Marilyn! THANKS!
Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5052519

Awesome plant!! Does it have normal growth as well? I have Sedum reflexum cristatum(hardy here in 6b) but there is a large proportion of "normal" growth, although these will produce the crested growth if potted up on their own--I didn't know there were more!!
DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 4, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5053331

Here's another crested one, labeled S. praeltum 'cristata'. I believe its incorrectly named, and should be S. praealltum This one is entirely crested.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5054617

Well, I did get in touch with Wayne Fagerlund, who tells me he is responsible for the crested plants that are showing up locally. He runs the nursery about 60 miles south of here, which is in the pictures about raising sedums commercially.

He got back to me with all the local nurseries that have plants locally, so I ran over to one near by and scored 3 more crested plants. S. album fm cristata, S album fm cristata (Borchii) and S. 'Wayne's Brain', which I have emailed him about parentage info.

My pots are smaller than many posted in this forum, as I don't want sedums making a total mess of the pot, and I want the crested plants to be the biggest part of the show in each pot. I just potted up the new plants this afternoon, and it was not pretty. S. album seems far more fragile than S. fosterianium so the plants suffered a bit.

I decided on potting up S album fm cristata seperately, as the cresting was prettly low to the ground, and I was concerned about it getting hidden by other plants.

I will see about getting pics up shortly.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5054867

AD - you owe me! LOL!!!! Look forward to seeing your plants.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #5065864

For y'alls entertainment, I now offer you these shots:

Here is Sedum fosteranium, with S. f. cv purpeanium

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5065870

S. album var crestata

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5065877

S. rupestum cv 'Wayne's Brain'

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5065891

S album cristata (Borchii) with S album 'Murale'

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5065897

Great job, AD! I've looked at Fagerlund's site and wish that he shipped to CA. He has a great selection of Sedums. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a "Wayne's Brain." Maybe someday I'll find one.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5065903

And no crest on these, but S. 'Spiral Staircase' with S. 'Sunset Cloud'. I believe that Spiral Staircase is one of Wayne's cultivars.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5065917

There are still around my area, so I guess I could put a care package for those that want. But it is a weekend solo with my 3.5 yo son, so my first shopping would have to be next week.

And I do have a crested S. fosteranium sitting around looking for a home, I think.

oldmudhouse
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #5066182

Those are lovely plants. The way you've potted the "Wayne's Brain" is especially nice...great job of showing off these unusual specimens!
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5066400

Thank you for the compliment.

I love the pot that Wayne's Brain is in. I do my plant pot shopping at the local thrift stores, especially for the C&S crowd. And that pot that WB is in is one of the better recent scores I have had. And it is actually one legs about 1/2" long, so it is even cooler in person.

I am still looking for the elusive item that can be a pot for the perfect succulent. Right now I have not seen it, but I know it is close: butter dish, fondue pot, CB radio, telescope. Where is it?
YodieCoyote
Las Cruces, NM
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5066424

AnalogDog...Did you try to extract the "technique" for producing these crested plants? They appear to be popping up in a number of locations. I bought one at a local hardware chain store. Is this done by irradiation? Irradiation (think Xrays, gamma rays, etc, not Roswell) has been used for a number of years now, in commercial veggie/fruit crops...to produce "mutants". This looks like it surpasses the old-tymey uses with chemical mutagens such as Colchicine, and Gibberellic Acid. Will Wayne of "Wayne's Brain" (great name) divulge any secrets...? Very curious.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5068496

Great show. Thank you! I too love your 'Wayne's Brain' ensemble. Perfect together! So the pot is not really a plant pot to begin with? Did you drill holes?
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5069331

Yeah. I have a carbide tipped bit especially made for ceramics. One half inch in size. That has to be the toughest pot to drill I have ever done. It took about 20 minutes of drilling to get through 3/16" or so.

There are a huge number of plant pots for those that like to overpot plants. The plant in a drained pot, with another pot over it to decorate it and hold water. I think it may have been one of those, or maybe a strange ash tray, or candy dish or something. I can't tell with many of the pots, as they are often showing water lines, or missing lids when I buy them at thrift stores.

But to me they are pots of the finest sort.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5074468

Nice plants analog! Love your pics! Clem
DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 10, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5084184

Hi AD:
you certainly have a nice collection of Crested Sedums. I only have a couple, but was wondering if you ever seen this one around. I've had it for about 3 or 4 years now, its growing into a bush, and new branches grow crested. The stem base is flatten out too. It came labeled with the common name of 'Dwarf Cockscomb' with ID as Sedum reflexum crest. Wonder if you or Wayne Fagerlund could shed some additional info on it.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 10, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5084195

2nd Photo:

Thumbnail by DougC

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5085170

I have a S. reflexum which is crested, and is my most recent purchase. Now, while I have a nice set of them, I have to bow to you, as all of mine were only purchased in the last month, and I never knew that there were crests available.

With that note, I dub you King of the Crested Sedums.

Here's mine, which looks little like yours.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog

maureen1952
Worcester, MA

June 11, 2008
12:12 PM

Post #5086558

Great pictures and arrangements. I love crested succulents. so could I have one, huh? Just one? What do you say?

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5088728

Nice looking you both! Clem
DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5098970

I found it accidentally, looking for another succulent, in Miles Anderson's "Cacti & Succulents" book, its correct ID is S. praealtum cristata.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #5110042

I was at a friends today and he had this plant in his garden. Anyone know the name?

Thumbnail by Kell

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #5110136

I think it looks a lot like Doug's S. praealtum cristata.
DougC
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2008
9:33 AM

Post #5110487

Kell, yes its Sedum praealtum cristata, here is photo of new one I recently picked up, looks just like your photo.

Doug

Thumbnail by DougC

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #5112549

I tried to dig it out but my friend would not let me. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America