-
AuthorContent
Sethhayhurst
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5051269

I am trying to plan out my fall tomato garden. Does anyone have any Advice?

Here are some questions I have:

1. What type of tomatoes work best for North Texas in the fall?

2. When should I start the seeds?

3. Should I start them inside, then transplant? If so, when should I transplant to the garden?

4. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5051890

After 2 years of fairly poor results, I am not trying to grow any large tomatoes this fall with one exception. I am growing mostly cherries and medium fruit varieties. Here's what I will probably grow:

-Sungold (cherry)
-Black Cherry
-Sweet Quartz (cherry)
-Guernsey Island (golf ball sized)
-Jet Star (med red)
-Gregori's Altai (early pink beefsteak)

I am starting tomato seeds next week (June 8-15th) indoors and will plant plants in late July.

Because of the extreme heat and bright sun, plants will require careful handling. I will harden off for 7-10 days, starting with full shade and then gradually introducing them to morning and afternoon sunlight in 10-15 minute increments until they can finally handle the worst sun -- 11am-2pm. One solution is to place a lawn chair or 2x4's (supported by cinder blocks) over the plants so they get morning and afternoon sun but are shaded during midday. You can start hardening off in early July if you have cloudy days (much safer) or just more time to devote to the plants.

Keep in mind this is for Houston which is a bit different than Dallas. You might have cool temps 2-3 weeks before we do. I'd start seeds soon.

I grew lots of large and medium fruited varieties last fall and let me tell you, it is very frustrating to have all this green fruit hanging on the plants, but then it gets cold and ruins the flavor of the fruit. Even though I can get a lot of fruitset in September, the plants slow down as they get less and less sunlight as the angle of the sun changes. They don't ripen until late October or November.
Ladybeetle
zone 7, TX

June 4, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5053210

I know that in my horticulture class , the vegetable garden for the Fall semester class already had tomatoes growing from the spring classes. We trimmed them up
and added compost and let them grow somemore. There were Early Girls and Sweet 100's and yellow pear. THey produced SO much. Naturally all our vegetables
looked great because we didn't have the same bug problem as the Spring class did. Have fun, I can't wait to just let my tomatoe plants now,grow through the Fall.Oh, I'm in Gainesville,Texas.
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5053590

If you can keep your plants from the spring alive, and they are indeterminates, they can continue to grow into the fall, possibly faster than planting new seedlings. Best of luck to you!
Ladybeetle
zone 7, TX

June 6, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5064058

Where I'm at you can imagine we get cooler weather a little sooner than Houston, but when it forecasted too cold of weather some of us picked the best tomatoes and took them home and layed them in a dark corner on newspapers on shelves. They continued to ripen. THey didn't have the same flavor for sure but oh well, it was fun doing it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America