AuthorContent

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #5054038

I have a small skunk in my house. I left the back doors open. Oh help me.

How do I get it out without upsetting it.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #5054059

Oh Kell??? Are you serious???

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5054150

oh I am in distress. LOL. I just went out and can't see it. I shut the bedroom doors. At first I was hysterical inside. All I could think of was the smell. I grabbed my cat and came into the office. What am I to do?

Tom is coming home. He is not happy. He doesn't seem to get it will ruin the house. He wants it out. I just know he will confront it and get it upset.

What if it is under my bed? Oh this is so bad. Tom said they are nocturnal. I wonder if it has been asleep in here and I woke it up. What if it has rabies and is confused.

What if it lets go, we will have to move. Oh I am not happy. There are 1000 places for it to tuck into. Do you think one of my cats will find it? Should I get them all inside and let them lose to find it? Or will that upset it?
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5054169

Call animal control (look under county government agencies). They deal with this stuff often.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5054175

Oh God, it is making weird noises and walking back and forth. Help me. I think it is sick. It is bigger than I thought.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #5054195

are you sure it is a skunk? also, I just googled and it said they're attracted to trash. did he come thru your kitchen and is your trashcan nearby. If yes, then it could be assumed he's hungry, in which case, Tom can lure him out with some smelly cat food. Place just outside entrance to lure him out.

Oh this is not funny. this is one of my fears as creatures roam in my area and I don't all shut the door tight.

noises could be he's scared of strange environment and hissing like a cat.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5054210

Close the doors to all the other rooms. Smelly cat food or tuna should lure him outside.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5054218

Oh Kell.. call some kind of animal control!!!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5054230

Well I just wet my pants. Geez. I opened the office door to come back in or maybe I was going back out. I can't remember and my cat ran out of room and she immediately knew that it was in the house. She slunk down in posture like stalking and walked out along couch. So I let go a huge scream, why I have no clue, and wet my pants. It is so hard being me. By the time I came out of the bathroom, it is missing again and Gabcat is sitting in dining room where the sliding glass doors are where it came in. Do you think I scared it outside by the scream or by being grossed out by my way of dealing with getting upset? Should I try to catch my cat? Should I change my clothes? LOL

I will wait for Tom before I call animal control, but great idea.

Oh Nery, there is cat food on floor in kitchen. I will try to go get those bowls and move them.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5054251

that is what probably lured him in. I would wait til Tom arrives. then move food outside and leave door open. Tom can be outside (sort of hidden) and you inside, so you can both monitor his movement.

Drink at least 1 beer or some wine when ordeal is over. hugs. I know you're unraveled. I would be too
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5054254

My guess, if your cat was stalking it and is now sitting quietly by the door, is that the skunk left. A cat doesn't miss much. If it is gone and your house doesn't smell bad, you are one lucky lady!
dobra1629
Houma, LA

June 4, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5054268

I stumbled on this thread because someone is in need of help. Now I am intrigued and want to know the outcome.

Dorothy
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 4, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5054288

Everyone's worst nightmare. Hope you're OK, Kell.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008

Post #5054289

I am feeling a bit better, Nery. If it didn't let go its smell when I screamed it does not have so easy a startle reflex as I thought. I know when I heard me scream, it sure scared me! It really did. I really screamed.

I need to catch Gabby because she will go eat the food if I put it out. She is being weird and won't come to me. She is crouched by back door. I think it may have gone out. But I am afraid to close door in case it didn't. I stomped all around now that I know it holds its smell when startled. I hope that will make it go outside.

Tom is going to be so told you so when he gets home. He is forever telling me not to leave the back door open and I am forever leaving it open. Shoot.

You know unless I actually see it go outside I will think it inside hiding for days. For some reason I am afraid it will bite my ankle.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5054292

Oh shoot Tom is here. Pray for me.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #5054475

Tom walked around hitting a pot. No sign of him. All 3 cats are inside now and acting normally except looking for their food where it used to be. I think screaming made it run out the door. I sure hope so. I will keep all the doors shut for a few days.

Thank you all for holding my hand. We all know now that in an emergency I am not too swift. I make a post first on a gardening site (why I would think of that first, I have no clue) and then scream loud and pee in my pants. Well actually the scream might have saved me. LOL The only reason I thought to tell my husband is he happened to IM me to tell me about new dinner reservations and I broke in saying there is a skunk in the house. HELP! He didn't believe me at first. LOL.

And Tom has not chastised me at all. As usual he is perfect.

I do have one question, skunks do not go for your throat do they?
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 4, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5054513

Kell, I have a photo of my mom at around 18 (she is now 94) playing with a whole litter of skunks. They had them around the farm all the time and they never bothered anyone.

Unless there's something wrong with them, I don't *think* they are dangerous - except for that stink they can throw! Thank goodness it was more scared of you - you didn't leave your home and it did!

Good guy, Tom. :-)
dobra1629
Houma, LA

June 4, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5054545

I am happy that turned out ok. I can't imagine how you would be able to get the smell out of the house. Take a shower and have a few drinks and enjoy your dinner.

Dorothy
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5054564

Shew... I'd have more than a few drinks! LOL

Oh Kell, I thought for sure you were going to be moving much sooner than planned!!! I hope all is well...
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5054612

Poor Kell ! Glad it worked out ok.
If it makes you feel any better, last week my sister found an 8 foot rattlesnake in her clothes dryer...she wet her pants, and THEN some !

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5054640

Too tell the truth I am still a bit shakey. LOL. I was out watering and came in and my husband had opened up all the doors. So now I will be so creeped out thinking that thing is under my bed just waiting for me to fall asleep to jump up and suck my blood out.

My husband said I am acting like a mountain lion was in here. I said a moutnain lion does not stink. Dorothy, you so understand! He is not as nice as I thought he was. LOL

JasperDale, I would not live through that! Did she turn it on and run?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5054667

DH said that if you had a house alarm, you could play it for a few minutes and he would fer sure leave w/o spraying, simply because it would be an intolerable environment. He would spray if he saw you, Tom or the cats coming close to him but not because of noise.

I am laughing now about your concern about them going for your throat. No matter what people tell me, I always have fantasies of snakes lunging at my and going for my throad. I know they don't do that, but still, I have this very clear image in my crazy head about them doing this.

shall we have a contest to see quien es mas neurotico?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5054669

Actually, yes, she DID turn it on. Then she called ME...as if I could do anything for her 87 miles away...her husband was out of town and wasn't answering his cell phone.

She called animal control and they came and got it. They said they were relocating them to No. Calif. very close to where you live !

I'll send you some "Depends" !!!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5054677

A couple of years ago a couple of hummers flew into my dining room to a huge pot of bright red amaryllis in bloom and I couldn't get them out. I posted a SOS that time too.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5054722

And here I thought any noise would startle it and it would spray, Nery. I had a lower pot cabinet door open and when I stooped down to close it I had the worst feeling it was in there and was waiting to jump up and grab me by my throat. What a thought.

Oh JD, I never thought of animal control either. Not even when I calmed down some. I was just thinking about the smell, renting a new place and how I was going to water if we were at a distance. Always plants first! LOL I will watch for the depends.
bjwilson
Kemp, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5054723

I'm laughing so hard at this thread, I just peed my pants...
Sorry, I know you were in trouble Kell... but it's really funny sitting here in my chair.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5054724

OK...here's one for ya: This was in my dining room under the china cabinet for 4 days before I even knew it !

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5054736

how did you discover? how did you figure out 4 days. dang it, I'm checking my house and under all the beds. there might be a critter that is there for goodness knows how long!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5054756

Well shoot JD, stop tossing his ball under your china cabinet and I bet he won't be going under there!

We have those around here too. I was sitting out on my porch one night years ago and one came up on the porch. I yelled to Tom that a fox was on the porch. Then he turned and I saw the tail and thought it was huge rat. LOL Gee, I just thought they could come in here too.

BJ, I will think it is funny too soon esp if it really is gone!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5054987

I discovered it by accident. I hadn't been in the living room or dining room for several days...then I rented a dvd to watch, and when I walked in there the cats started making this bizarre noise.

They were craning their necks trying to look under there, but keeping a distance. At first I couldn't see anything until I got the flashlight, then I saw it. It bared it's teeth at me, but wouldn't come out.

I shooed it out and it went into the kitchen, where it proceeded to take it's sweet time and eat the cat food...so like a fool, I waited for it to eat !

It finally meandered out and down the hall and out the back door.

The next day I found little possum droppings in several places, so I had the carpet cleaned. For weeks, the cat's wouldn't go in those rooms.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 5, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5054990

That's the first thing I noticed, that ball!

Kell, please shut your doors!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 5, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5054999

Always the gentleman, waiting for the possum to eat! LOL
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5055191

and I have no clue where that ball even came from.
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 5, 2008
6:59 AM

Post #5056283

Kell, I feel so bad for you getting upset. But that's the best laugh I've had in a long time and I almost wet my pants telling DH about it. We have to deal with nutria up here, nasty looking things but really stupid. You should see my DH laugh when I go flying out the back door to chase them out of the vegetable garden. Before we put a fence up they actually took off flying with a tomato tucked under their arm like a football when they heard the back door open because they knew 'That Mad Woman' was coming with the broom.

Hope you are feeling better.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2008
7:33 AM

Post #5056302

Oh Gees Kell! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that. Unfortunately i couldn't help but laugh as well because I know that it's all over now and that I probably would've done the same thing in your situation. that was a cute opossum Dale, you were very polite to it!

Oh a glad to have you join us all Sally.
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 5, 2008
7:39 AM

Post #5056306

Thank you, my sis KaperC sent me a link to the thread. Her message was Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear. I had to check it out. Just happy it turned out well. But still laughing.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2008
7:43 AM

Post #5056309

Yep, I agree! I've seen many a nutria around here as well, but thank goodness I've never had one try to come in the house and thank goodness I don't have a vegetable garden for them to steal from... we'd both have the title of mad woman.
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 5, 2008
7:46 AM

Post #5056312

Duh, I just noticed where you live, it's getting late. We're actually out by Pleasant Hill so we get a few critters.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2008
7:52 AM

Post #5056316

Ahhhhh... I knew you'd figure it out! I don't actually live in Eugene either, but one of my jobs is there and I spend almost all spare time there. If you've been in pleasant hill long at all then you know where abouts that I live. About 15 mi. up above Oakridge. So, I likely drive past your place regularly! fun meeting you here! Strangely enough at this time of night (when I have time to be on computer) many of the Northeast folks are getting up and so I spend quite a bit of time on that forum when it's this late, then switch back to PNWest forums later on. You'll have fun with it all!

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 12:53 AM
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5057159

Feeling better today, Kell ? LOL
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5057167

I've never heard of "nutria" ... gonna go research it/them/whatever...
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5057172

I had to look it up also! That's a critter that I'm happy that I don't have!

How's it going today, Kell? Is it the sweet smell of success?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5057262

I just did a quick search of these "nutria" critters. They look like swimming guinea pigs with tails...and with orange teeth, no less !
dobra1629
Houma, LA

June 5, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5057319

Where I live nutria is considered "good eatin". I have never tried it.

Dorothy
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5057372

I have a Yankee friend who, when he saw his first nutria down here by the bayou, asked, "what happened to that beaver's tail?"

Kell, I'm so glad you survived this, and didn't get sprayed and have to move and get yelled at and all that stuff, but I haven't laughed so hard in a long time as I did when you asked if skunks go for the throat. You must have had a really strange experience in a former life, bless your heart!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 5, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5057388

Kell, sorry we all got so entertained by your trauma...but it WAS funny !
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 5, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5057682

And look how many people responded to her call for help! Where else would that happen?
fremar
Comer, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5057896

OOOOHhhh geez I wish I had seen this thread last night instead of while I was eating lunch, now I have to explain to my boss why I need a new desk chair and why there's marinara sauce on the monitor, Better yet how do I explain why I have to go home and change clothes... ROFLMAO it's a shame there wasn't somebody there with a camera AFV pays good money for those "candid" shots
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 6, 2008
6:12 AM

Post #5061600

Well they say laughter is good for the soul. I helped a lot of souls today. Kell I feel bad getting enjoyment out of your ordeal and I really wouldn't have been able to enjoy it if it hadn't turned out so well.

Yes, nutria are nasty critters and I've heard they're good eating. Here they're just a nuisance, they tunnel and raid gardens, and they can get really nasty if they get cornered or a dog goes after them. Besides they're supposed to be big rabies carriers. That's why I use a broom or the hose to get rid of them. Who's that strange man on the travel channel that eats all the weird stuff? He ate some not long ago and said it was quite tasty, I'll take his word for it. So there's the lesson on nutria. To me they look like BIG rats with beaver teeth.
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2008
8:02 AM

Post #5061692

Nutria were brought over from South America for the fur trade if I remember correctly. They look like mini capybara to me!

I'm so glad your experience with the skunk was uneventful, Kell! Maybe you'll remember to keep the door closed from now on! Lol. Keeping the door closed would probably be cemented in my mind after all that.

Did you know that some people even keep them as pets? They get their scent glands removed of course.

This is probably a stupid question but are there bears and mountain lions in North Cali?
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2008
9:14 AM

Post #5061717

Captmicha... it's definitely not a stupid question. yes, there are bears and mountain lions in Northern california, most of the time they stick to the woods though! I'm pretty sure that northern california is like oregon in the respect that most of the bears that they have are black bears. Are you always up at 4 am??!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5062491

capybara? OR CUPACHABRE?!?!?!

(Seriously, I wonder if it is a cousin of the capybara.)

But I do know I wouldn't eat one. I just find it hard to bring myself to eat something that eats whatever it can get. Ever notice that? Animals that are vegetarian are acceptable to eat for most of us, but we don't eat animals that eat meat.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5063444

Probably because they could eat us. Ick!

Yes there are mountain lions all over in Northern California. They even come into established neighborhoods with lots of houses. Every so often you will see on the news a big mountain lion sitting in a tree looking down at a sidewalk. So far no bears reported though in the burbs. You have to go further out for them.

At first I thought nutria were made up but then I googled them. Definitely cuter than their name.

I have recovered fully. It is hard keeping the back door shut though. I am pretty sure it is living under my porch. I was thinking we could get a cage from Animal Control but I am afriad it would spray if caught. I am not sure what to do. I am sure I will be seeing him again. I just hope he doesn't have any friends.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5063487

See what you can do about making it unpleasant for him. Someone on the wildlife forum, or maybe the herb forum, would know what repels them -- like marigold or peppermint, maybe?

Cat poo?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5063517

kell, you could place the trap as far as possible so that when it sprays (and I believe it would) at least it wouldn't get all over your patio furniture, etc. The smelliest cat food is such an excellent lure. Having said that, if your houses are close together, it is possible he went on to the next house where they don't have screaming women, lol.

seriously, i would borrow the trap from animal control and put it at the farthest end of your prop. you'd likely catch it in 48 hrs max.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5063531

Well I almost wet my pants laughing at this one but I would have done worse than that if the skunk was in my house. So glad he didn't spray your home.

One of the grand dogs got sprayed years ago and it was a real ordeal getting that dog decent again. Our son Will and his vet went through gallons of tomato juice, baking soda, cider vinegar and peroxide. The stuff was oily and very hard to get rid of.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5063560

we've had our 2 dogs sprayed by skunks and had no choice but to ride in a truck with them stinking dogs. It was absolutely revolting! We washed them 2-3 times and nothing. It was gone it about a week, though.

kell, if he'd sprayed your interior, you'd been done for and it would have been furniture shopping time.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5063605

Furniture shopping????? I see that door open again...LOL
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2008
6:49 PM

Post #5063845

I just have to share a cute story about Aunt Eltie, since we're talking about skunks.

Aunt Eltie was one of the old maids of the family. She and Aunt Grace lived in the old family homestead after everyone else had moved off and gotten married.

Aunt Eltie was a big prankster, while Aunt Grace was pretty prim and proper. Aunt Eltie used to pull all kinds of pranks on Aunt Grace just because Aunt Grace was so predictible.

Well, Aunt Eltie had pet skunks that Aunt Grace just couldn't stand. Aunt Grace would complain about them all the time. I was too young to appreciate how she did it, but some how some way, Aunt Eltie took a Noxema Jar that was empty and managed to get the skunk smell into it. She took it to Aunt Grace and knowing Aunt Grace smelled everything that she had any doubts about, said, Grace, what's in this jar? Aunt Grace opened the lid and put her nose up to the jar. Aunt Eltie just laughed and laughed and laughed.

Janet

God rest all of their sweet souls

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5064257

Just saw this thread. So glad all turned out okay, Kell, but you provided an instant CLASSIC!! The real-time reporting, about both the skunk and your functions, is precious! This is my favorite thread of the year - for next year too.

I was weeding a couple of years ago and while on my hands and knees, saw some movement. I look up to see a skunk's a** backing into my face! My fluids managed to stay inside - not sure how - but I moved very quickly. He did not spray. Funny, he or she was almost totally white - and very cute.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #5064323

I second Victor's comment about an instant classic. Kell, I had no idea you had just gone through hell and back when you sent me your sweet notes about the begonias! :-)

Just checked the views on this thread and they're up to 357. A classic in the making for sure!

Larry☼
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #5064338

i took this image thru the window where i am sitting now at the computer last Aug.
i'm glad it wasn't a skunk :-)

Dick

This message was edited Jun 6, 2008 1:58 PM

Thumbnail by Strever

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 6, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5064361

Oooh, what a beaut! But glad he/she isn't in my tree.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5064365

Wow, was that take at home Dick? Good thing you weren't outside... fortunately it looks like it's just lounging in an afternoon break.
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5064403

as soon as i stepped out on the deck to get a better pict he took off :-(
which i wouldn't even think of doing with a skunk :-)

Thumbnail by Strever

redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5064439

funny how that works!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5064446

Wow - great shot! And Kell, we now expect you to come to DG first for any important events in your life!
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5064671

Kell, you'd make a great best friend!! I could imagine laughing with you a lot!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5064674

And helping with her skunk??
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5064687

Yes, but it's a bit of a drive...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5064709

Ha, a fair weather friend! What's a little drive (or a skunk) among friends??? LOL
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 6, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #5064988

We have a weatherman here who is famous for his gardening tips, etc. He's written a couple of books about vermicomposting and natural pest control. Here is a link to Loren Nancarrow's skunk wash recipe: http://www.10news.com/lorensfieldnotes/173139/detail.html

# 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda

Combine the above with enough Dawn dishwashing liquid into a gravy-thick substance. Shampoo as you normally would. Discard any leftover solution.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5064999

Now, if only I can remember that the next time one of my pets runs into a skunk!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5065497

That is what the vet recommended my son use and it took quite a few washings.

We think the spray burned too because right after it happened the dog immediately ran into a mountain stream and lay in the cold water. He often played in the stream but this time he just stayed submerged and didn't want to come out.

Any mountain streams nearby Kell? You might want to identify one in case your visitor returns, LOL
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 7, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #5066151

I wouldn't be surprised if it did burn - it's supposed to scare away predators, isn't it? (asking here, but I think that's its purpose) - and the smell alone probably wouldn't do it for some animals. Never thought of that, having been fortunate enough so far to avoid contact.

My brother and I were sleeping outside on cots at the Colorado River once and a whole family of skunks went under our cots. We could feel the tails. Luckily, he had heard them and whispered to me to stay still. Then we sat up and watched them walk away - mother and several kittens. Close enough for me.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 7, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #5066402

I'll still take a possum in the living room ANY DAY !
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 7, 2008
6:41 AM

Post #5066600

Let me see...mountain lion or skunk? That's a tough one. LOL

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5068460

You are all too funny!

And debilu, I do laugh a lot. I am a constant source of amusement to myself. Not so much to my husband though. He got bent out of shape because I had the back door open yet again today.

I was reading on the California Forum about a pit of many rattlesnakes near a member's home. The picture was disgusting. And then Dick's mountain lion ready to ponce and I must say perhaps a skunk smelling up my house is not all that terrible. Definitely not a fatal event unless my husband can catch me.
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5069117

Along with the photo contest, I think we should award hilarious posts. Kell, your's made my month (and I needed that after the month I've had)!
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 8, 2008
7:23 AM

Post #5070966

She's got my vote!!!
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2008
8:42 AM

Post #5071005

I agree completely! I have been asking a few folks if there's anyway to nominate a post for something like that and they didn't know. But this will definitely top my list for a very long time!
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2008
9:11 AM

Post #5071018

Hey Kell, my husband doesn't always get my sense of humor - which just makes things funnier to me. Careful with that door!

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2008
9:19 AM

Post #5071025

Just came across this thread...have to say, glad everything is OK Kell. And for all you with critters nearby...but I really do thank you for the laugh. :-)

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #5071551

Yes - thread of the year would be great.
fremar
Comer, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5071559

without a doubt
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 8, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5072078

I'm still having a good laugh at Kell thinking the skunk was going to go for her jugular !

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5072728

Gosh no way thread of the year, everyone would know I peed in my pants!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
7:39 PM

Post #5072735

So have many who have read this!!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2008
7:41 PM

Post #5072745

I want you all to swear to secrecy!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5072781

A little late...
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5072785

Victor, you shouldn't have!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5072818

I shared it with all the local skunks.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5072864

Well that might be a good deed. Didn't someone say skunks hate human pee?

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 8, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5072866

Gosh, I so hope I did not dream that bit of info! LOL

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5073375

I never considered a duel...
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2008

Post #5073609

OK, for the second and MUCH less funny post (Kell, I'm NOT competing here!) look at my compost saga under soil and composting.
fremar
Comer, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5074233

saw that one kirk, that was funny ,maybe it was how discriptive Kell was and the minute by minute reports,
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #5074866

This definitely is a candidate for the "Damsel in Distress" thread competition.

Kell, be glad you didn't dial 911...the recording would be all over cyberspace by now !
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5076860

And it shows how important DG is to Kell! I hate to say it but I don't think the computer is the first place I'd go in that situation! Kell, you should at least get a free membership!
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5078318

That was funny --- perhaps you should have waved you pee-pee pants in front of the critter and it might have moved faster - LOL ! I'm still laughing.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #5078357

It also may have attracted him...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5078425

767 views in less than a week! You and those pants are famous Kell. ;-))))

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #5078469

I copied and pasted it and sent it to everyone in my address book! (Just kidding, Kell. Don't want to trigger any more involuntary bodily actions.^_^)
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5078484

I saw it on YouTube this morning...I didn't know Kell was so short !
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5078492

OMG, you are going to have us all peeing in our pants.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5078534

Kell not sure how I missed but I agree with the others, this is an instant classic!!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5078607

I see a Depends commercial in this. 'For those unexpected wildlife encounters...'
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 10, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5079555

I called my mom this morning and she told me my sister had regaled her - amidst gales of laughter - with the story. Mom still remembers playing with those skunk kittens nearly 80 years ago - she says they were very sweet.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5079698

you and your, your sister, and your mom sound like quite the group.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 10, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5080676

Actually, we're all pretty quiet until we get together and start to laugh. :-)
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #5080705

great, now we just need your mom here too!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 10, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5080756

We got my dad on the computer at 79, but Mom never did take to it, unfortunately. She has trouble with her eyes. You live close enough, stop by and say hi!
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5080871

you never know, that may just happen. Sally and I figured out the other day that I work very near where she lives, I live another 45 min. then on the other side of her. Small world!
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 10, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5081009

I was laughing so hard telling Mom the story that I almost peed MY pants! And I'm still laughing. And yes Mom would fit right in with this group.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 10, 2008
5:20 AM

Post #5081028

Poor Kell will never live this down as long as she lives !
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2008
5:22 AM

Post #5081035

Kell...you are simply TOO MUCH!!!!! So funny!

Aloha
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 10, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #5081045

Aloha...can you imagine what she'd do with gecko's in her house ? LOL
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5081049

OY Vey - and Anoles in her garden? HAHAHAHAHA...poor dear...
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 10, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #5081052

I had to walk with my step daughter into her bedroom every night we were in Hawaii. She was afraid they were going to get her when she walked down the hall. I like the little critters myself.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #5081055

Well, I don't think that you'd have to buy new furniture after a gecko! But, it would be fun to see. I feel so sorry for Kell. I do think that she should get some really good award for this thread.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2008
5:38 AM

Post #5081072

Yes...Kell deserves a prize!!!

My first introduction to geckos was in Acapulco babysitting for friends...they were all over the ceiling and I was convinced they would fall on me and eat me! Didn't sleep for 3 nights... it was awful!!!
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2008
5:41 AM

Post #5081086

ohhhh... i would be a morron and a wreck after three nights of not sleeping!
nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5092584

Kell,
Life is never dull for you is it? I'll have to whip the silly grin off my face or someone will think I've totally lost my mind.

My boss who is a very particular kind of person, had a dog that got skunked a couple of years ago. Bossman never realized that we could smell it for days on his clothes. He would just die if he knew that he had walked around smelling like skunk.

You are so lucky that the skunk didn't spray in your house as that smell obvious lingers a long time AND absorbs into everything in the house.

The mosquitos are so bad here that no one would ever leave their doors open for long. I have had issues with varmits in the garage though...DH fusses at me for leaving it open while I garden.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 9:38 PM
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5102799

Knell that without a doubt is one of the best laughs I have had in awhile. Only because it was you not I. I am so guilty of leaving doors open and DH warning me. We live in the country and i could surely wind up with anything. Think i will say lesson learned and keep my doors closed. When i need a good laugh i will just come back here.
bjwilson
Kemp, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5106881

I had to come back and see this thread again today. I'm surprised that people are still posting to it. But I agree... Kell's experience was really funny to most of us.

I had a similar (but not nearly horrific) experience this morning.
I live on a lake, and have ducks come to my front yard on a regular basis for me to feed them bread. I've been throwing bread out to them for years. This morning, I was in and out of the house a lot, and we had a cool breeze, so I left the front door open for a while. As I was walking from the kitchen into my living room, I saw something move... and low and behold two of those ducks came right into the house. I scared the pshaw out of them, and they almost flew out the front door. I had to think of poor Kell, and got tickled over it all over again.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2008 7:32 PM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2008 7:33 PM
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5107246

Last August, at my nephews wedding reception, a BAT flew into the tent and couldn't get out. The women went NUTS !!!

The staff got up on a ladder and opened one of the flaps on the tent and it finally got out.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2008 8:27 AM

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5107397

Don't they usually release doves???
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5107519

remember, this is California ! LOL
(good one Victor...very good ! )

This message was edited Jun 15, 2008 9:24 AM

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5107555

Then I hope it was a California bat and didn't violate any exotic wildlife rules!
debi_k
S of Lake Ontario, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5107904

heehee
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5108704

I wonder what Kell would do if she found THIS in her house !

Thumbnail by JasperDale

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5108714

Hello, Harvey!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5108877

Whoever lived in that house before always had lots of flowers planted out around that giant rabbit and it looked cute. Someone new bought the place and ripped them all out for what you see now.

That thing is over 8 feet tall at the tips of it's ears.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 15, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5108898

I love it! The face is priceless. Yep, definitely Harvey.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5109227

What a shame they ripped out the flowers. I can see him sitting in a colorful bed of portulaca.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
7:00 AM

Post #5126328

LOL, oh my Kell, I stumbled on this thread from the coleus forum, I just about peed my pants laughing!
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5127432

lol
this thread is linked from another for a giggle -
Kell, I love it - you admitted to peeing your pants; a woman after my own heart - a honesty before decorum...lol

Years ago in western CO I was working nights baking for a restaurant and usually got home around 7 am. One morning I came in and there was a snake (nope, don't know what kind, but I am so afraid of snakes) curled around my chair. Hmmm...I was so tired, stll screamed and started to bolt, but being home alone, I got a shovel and tried to get it but it crawled under the bookshelves and I couldn't reach it. So, I gathered all the dogs (about 7) and took them to bed with me, blocking the space under the door with something , and went to sleep.

Few hours later I woke up and forgot about the snake, so did the usual thing - headed off to the bathroom after letting the dogs out. That big snake was on the vanity behind the door, waist height. Oh my! I was outta there in a flash - peed in the field. (younger then, a little more control...lol).

You know, I don't know how that snake ended up leaving the house or if it did for sure. A few days later, there was a big snake draped across my steps and over time ( found many sloughed skins. I think that is when I started reacting less violently to them - they were eating mice, after all, and I couldn't kill them. Still, when I see a snake, I need my generic "depends" but I don't run any more - or hardly scream...

Kell, how close are you to me? Strever is close - he's getting a visit this summer :-); I leave my doors open all the time, it's a bad habit more because of bugs-and I've managed to put a door to the outside into every room except the bathroom (which was a mistake; that's the room that really needs a door outside!). Fortunately my house yard is fenced (2/3 acre) and the bear doesn't come over it, but the fox does-he/she talks to me when I sleep outside and she always leaves her calling card near my car outside the fence. :-)

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5127598

She is about 20 minutes from me in the Bay Area, nearer the Bay itself so she has milder climate than I do, not as hot.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5127963

Ah - still very far from me - not truly northern CA, but northern compared to LA... :-)
KactusKathi
Goodyear, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
9:35 PM

Post #5129291

I have a little story to tell you. My family from New Jersey was visiting me here in Arizona during the summer months. My young nephew Adam loved to run around my yard chasing and catching the little lizards. One day I notice his head is soaked but the rest of his clothing is dry so I asked him what happened and he told me that he had soaked his head in the toilet because it was so hot in Arizona. He just got married last month and lives here now with his new wife and till the day he dies his name will always be Adam Pee Hurley.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5129589

ROFLOL!!! What a fun thread!

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5129639

Yep, laughing so hard!!!
Susan
=^..^=
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
10:44 PM

Post #5129656

lolololol
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 19, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5129802

Poor guy! I have a cousin called Chubby - even though he isn't, and another called Junior - built like Paul Bunyan (at least to my 10 year old eyes). But "Adam Pee" - that is TOO funny, Kathi!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5129825

How do you manage to keep your eyes so young, KaperC??
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 19, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5129867

Why, Victor, how sweet! lol Actually Chubby is still with us, Junior isn't - the grammar would have been too convoluted. My sister will read this, so I have to keep it honest or she'll GET me!!
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

June 28, 2008
8:20 AM

Post #5171725

Yep, she read it. And Paul Bunyan fits. I always have to check this thread, everyone has stories to add. I keep my doors shut and lately my entertainment has been watching a raccoon bring her very young ones to my fountain at night. They're like little balls of fur and so funny! Some of my neighbors don't care for them much, they can be a bit pesty, but I love most all critters.
maureen1952
Worcester, MA

June 29, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5175058

This is the BEST thread. There really should be a section for classic threads. What a hilarious story told by a "real time" reporter. You made it so exciting! I did just send it to a friend. Thanks.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 29, 2008
9:45 AM

Post #5176407

It would definitely win and award for funniest. I laughed so hard when I first read it that I almost wet my pants.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America