Someone help me

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a small skunk in my house. I left the back doors open. Oh help me.

How do I get it out without upsetting it.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Kell??? Are you serious???

oh I am in distress. LOL. I just went out and can't see it. I shut the bedroom doors. At first I was hysterical inside. All I could think of was the smell. I grabbed my cat and came into the office. What am I to do?

Tom is coming home. He is not happy. He doesn't seem to get it will ruin the house. He wants it out. I just know he will confront it and get it upset.

What if it is under my bed? Oh this is so bad. Tom said they are nocturnal. I wonder if it has been asleep in here and I woke it up. What if it has rabies and is confused.

What if it lets go, we will have to move. Oh I am not happy. There are 1000 places for it to tuck into. Do you think one of my cats will find it? Should I get them all inside and let them lose to find it? Or will that upset it?

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Call animal control (look under county government agencies). They deal with this stuff often.

Oh God, it is making weird noises and walking back and forth. Help me. I think it is sick. It is bigger than I thought.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

are you sure it is a skunk? also, I just googled and it said they're attracted to trash. did he come thru your kitchen and is your trashcan nearby. If yes, then it could be assumed he's hungry, in which case, Tom can lure him out with some smelly cat food. Place just outside entrance to lure him out.

Oh this is not funny. this is one of my fears as creatures roam in my area and I don't all shut the door tight.

noises could be he's scared of strange environment and hissing like a cat.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Close the doors to all the other rooms. Smelly cat food or tuna should lure him outside.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Kell.. call some kind of animal control!!!

Well I just wet my pants. Geez. I opened the office door to come back in or maybe I was going back out. I can't remember and my cat ran out of room and she immediately knew that it was in the house. She slunk down in posture like stalking and walked out along couch. So I let go a huge scream, why I have no clue, and wet my pants. It is so hard being me. By the time I came out of the bathroom, it is missing again and Gabcat is sitting in dining room where the sliding glass doors are where it came in. Do you think I scared it outside by the scream or by being grossed out by my way of dealing with getting upset? Should I try to catch my cat? Should I change my clothes? LOL

I will wait for Tom before I call animal control, but great idea.

Oh Nery, there is cat food on floor in kitchen. I will try to go get those bowls and move them.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

that is what probably lured him in. I would wait til Tom arrives. then move food outside and leave door open. Tom can be outside (sort of hidden) and you inside, so you can both monitor his movement.

Drink at least 1 beer or some wine when ordeal is over. hugs. I know you're unraveled. I would be too

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My guess, if your cat was stalking it and is now sitting quietly by the door, is that the skunk left. A cat doesn't miss much. If it is gone and your house doesn't smell bad, you are one lucky lady!

Houma, LA

I stumbled on this thread because someone is in need of help. Now I am intrigued and want to know the outcome.

Dorothy

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Everyone's worst nightmare. Hope you're OK, Kell.

I am feeling a bit better, Nery. If it didn't let go its smell when I screamed it does not have so easy a startle reflex as I thought. I know when I heard me scream, it sure scared me! It really did. I really screamed.

I need to catch Gabby because she will go eat the food if I put it out. She is being weird and won't come to me. She is crouched by back door. I think it may have gone out. But I am afraid to close door in case it didn't. I stomped all around now that I know it holds its smell when startled. I hope that will make it go outside.

Tom is going to be so told you so when he gets home. He is forever telling me not to leave the back door open and I am forever leaving it open. Shoot.

You know unless I actually see it go outside I will think it inside hiding for days. For some reason I am afraid it will bite my ankle.

Oh shoot Tom is here. Pray for me.

Tom walked around hitting a pot. No sign of him. All 3 cats are inside now and acting normally except looking for their food where it used to be. I think screaming made it run out the door. I sure hope so. I will keep all the doors shut for a few days.

Thank you all for holding my hand. We all know now that in an emergency I am not too swift. I make a post first on a gardening site (why I would think of that first, I have no clue) and then scream loud and pee in my pants. Well actually the scream might have saved me. LOL The only reason I thought to tell my husband is he happened to IM me to tell me about new dinner reservations and I broke in saying there is a skunk in the house. HELP! He didn't believe me at first. LOL.

And Tom has not chastised me at all. As usual he is perfect.

I do have one question, skunks do not go for your throat do they?

Kell, I have a photo of my mom at around 18 (she is now 94) playing with a whole litter of skunks. They had them around the farm all the time and they never bothered anyone.

Unless there's something wrong with them, I don't *think* they are dangerous - except for that stink they can throw! Thank goodness it was more scared of you - you didn't leave your home and it did!

Good guy, Tom. :-)

Houma, LA

I am happy that turned out ok. I can't imagine how you would be able to get the smell out of the house. Take a shower and have a few drinks and enjoy your dinner.

Dorothy

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Shew... I'd have more than a few drinks! LOL

Oh Kell, I thought for sure you were going to be moving much sooner than planned!!! I hope all is well...

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Poor Kell ! Glad it worked out ok.
If it makes you feel any better, last week my sister found an 8 foot rattlesnake in her clothes dryer...she wet her pants, and THEN some !

Too tell the truth I am still a bit shakey. LOL. I was out watering and came in and my husband had opened up all the doors. So now I will be so creeped out thinking that thing is under my bed just waiting for me to fall asleep to jump up and suck my blood out.

My husband said I am acting like a mountain lion was in here. I said a moutnain lion does not stink. Dorothy, you so understand! He is not as nice as I thought he was. LOL

JasperDale, I would not live through that! Did she turn it on and run?

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

DH said that if you had a house alarm, you could play it for a few minutes and he would fer sure leave w/o spraying, simply because it would be an intolerable environment. He would spray if he saw you, Tom or the cats coming close to him but not because of noise.

I am laughing now about your concern about them going for your throat. No matter what people tell me, I always have fantasies of snakes lunging at my and going for my throad. I know they don't do that, but still, I have this very clear image in my crazy head about them doing this.

shall we have a contest to see quien es mas neurotico?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Actually, yes, she DID turn it on. Then she called ME...as if I could do anything for her 87 miles away...her husband was out of town and wasn't answering his cell phone.

She called animal control and they came and got it. They said they were relocating them to No. Calif. very close to where you live !

I'll send you some "Depends" !!!

A couple of years ago a couple of hummers flew into my dining room to a huge pot of bright red amaryllis in bloom and I couldn't get them out. I posted a SOS that time too.

And here I thought any noise would startle it and it would spray, Nery. I had a lower pot cabinet door open and when I stooped down to close it I had the worst feeling it was in there and was waiting to jump up and grab me by my throat. What a thought.

Oh JD, I never thought of animal control either. Not even when I calmed down some. I was just thinking about the smell, renting a new place and how I was going to water if we were at a distance. Always plants first! LOL I will watch for the depends.

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm laughing so hard at this thread, I just peed my pants...
Sorry, I know you were in trouble Kell... but it's really funny sitting here in my chair.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

OK...here's one for ya: This was in my dining room under the china cabinet for 4 days before I even knew it !

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

how did you discover? how did you figure out 4 days. dang it, I'm checking my house and under all the beds. there might be a critter that is there for goodness knows how long!

Well shoot JD, stop tossing his ball under your china cabinet and I bet he won't be going under there!

We have those around here too. I was sitting out on my porch one night years ago and one came up on the porch. I yelled to Tom that a fox was on the porch. Then he turned and I saw the tail and thought it was huge rat. LOL Gee, I just thought they could come in here too.

BJ, I will think it is funny too soon esp if it really is gone!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I discovered it by accident. I hadn't been in the living room or dining room for several days...then I rented a dvd to watch, and when I walked in there the cats started making this bizarre noise.

They were craning their necks trying to look under there, but keeping a distance. At first I couldn't see anything until I got the flashlight, then I saw it. It bared it's teeth at me, but wouldn't come out.

I shooed it out and it went into the kitchen, where it proceeded to take it's sweet time and eat the cat food...so like a fool, I waited for it to eat !

It finally meandered out and down the hall and out the back door.

The next day I found little possum droppings in several places, so I had the carpet cleaned. For weeks, the cat's wouldn't go in those rooms.

That's the first thing I noticed, that ball!

Kell, please shut your doors!

Always the gentleman, waiting for the possum to eat! LOL

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

and I have no clue where that ball even came from.

Eugene, OR

Kell, I feel so bad for you getting upset. But that's the best laugh I've had in a long time and I almost wet my pants telling DH about it. We have to deal with nutria up here, nasty looking things but really stupid. You should see my DH laugh when I go flying out the back door to chase them out of the vegetable garden. Before we put a fence up they actually took off flying with a tomato tucked under their arm like a football when they heard the back door open because they knew 'That Mad Woman' was coming with the broom.

Hope you are feeling better.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Oh Gees Kell! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that. Unfortunately i couldn't help but laugh as well because I know that it's all over now and that I probably would've done the same thing in your situation. that was a cute opossum Dale, you were very polite to it!

Oh a glad to have you join us all Sally.

Eugene, OR

Thank you, my sis KaperC sent me a link to the thread. Her message was Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear. I had to check it out. Just happy it turned out well. But still laughing.

Yep, I agree! I've seen many a nutria around here as well, but thank goodness I've never had one try to come in the house and thank goodness I don't have a vegetable garden for them to steal from.... we'd both have the title of mad woman.

Eugene, OR

Duh, I just noticed where you live, it's getting late. We're actually out by Pleasant Hill so we get a few critters.

Ahhhhh.... I knew you'd figure it out! I don't actually live in Eugene either, but one of my jobs is there and I spend almost all spare time there. If you've been in pleasant hill long at all then you know where abouts that I live. About 15 mi. up above Oakridge. So, I likely drive past your place regularly! fun meeting you here! Strangely enough at this time of night (when I have time to be on computer) many of the Northeast folks are getting up and so I spend quite a bit of time on that forum when it's this late, then switch back to PNWest forums later on. You'll have fun with it all!

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 12:53 AM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Feeling better today, Kell ? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.