Photo by Melody

Garden Talk: Anyone on here grow orchids?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 8, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SherryJ
Kersey, PA

February 12, 2001
7:47 PM

Post #1335

I've been growing them since 1992. I've killed a few, but still have some of my originals...

Looking forward to warmer weather so I can order more.

If you do grow orchids, what are your favorites? I like the species orchids and Cattleyas.
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2001
9:26 PM

Post #51787

Hi SherryJ! I just started with my first orchids in 2000. Frank (he's around here somewhere!)is really into orchids and has LOTS of them even some of the fragrant ones. What are my favorites? That's a tough one. I really can't choose...they're all so beautiful. What company do you order your orchids from?

Pete2
SherryJ
Kersey, PA

February 12, 2001
11:53 PM

Post #51818

I like to order from Oak Hill Gardens which is near Chicago. I think they have really reasonable prices, and they have a great selection of species! I got an order from them last week, and should be getting another order this Wednesday.

I also like Tropic 1 Orchids in Florida for Catts and Phals. They offer semi-small (2" pot) catt seedlings for $6.00, and it's no trouble to grow them to blooming size. I have an order in with them, but don't expect to get it for a couple of weeks.

If you need the URLs for these places let me know.

One of my favorite things to do is get a bunch of seedlings and get them to bloom for the first time. Buying an orchid that is already blooming is like knowing what is inside a Christmas present before you open it! :-D
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2001
1:38 AM

Post #51831

Sherry, could you please post the URL's for those? Thanks! :)

Pete2
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2001
3:21 AM

Post #51863

Be sure to go take a look at Frank's orchid photos in the "Photos" forum when you get a chance. Yup, he's got a green thumb!
frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2001
10:02 AM

Post #51884

Yes, I do have a few orchids. I love fragrant ones. Some of mine, that are fragrant, are oncidium "sharry baby"(smells like chocolate), brassiavola nodosa "lady of the night" (only nocturnally fragrant), zygopedululm 'mackii' ( I think I have photo of when this bloomed...is so, I will post it). I have a cattleya that is flowering right now, that is very fragrant when the green house warms up in the afternoon. I will try and grow just about anything. I have a dozen, or so , vandas, which are growing well, but I have trouble getting them to flower. I think we just don't get enough hours of sun to satisfy them. Maybe this year all of them will flower.
SherryJ
Kersey, PA

February 13, 2001
11:18 AM

Post #51889

Jeepers, I should have just posted the URL's with the other post. :-/ Sorry!

Oak Hill Gardens is www.oakhillgardens.com

Tropic 1 is www.tropic1.com

Another place I order from is Elmore Orchids:
www.geocities.com/Eureka/Park/2246

Frank, do you have any extra orchids you would like to trade? I just divided up and have extra of the following: Encylia prismatocarpum, Neofinitia falcata (one growth), and an award winning Broughtonia sanguinea.

The only thing I have blooming right now is a Phal. equestris, but I have a NOID mini dendrobium that will be blooming soon.
frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2001
2:57 PM

Post #51907

Sherry, I don't know if I have any to trade. I will take a look later.I have a friend who is a proffessional grower. Check out his place; http://www.orchidman.com. His name is Joe Palermo. He's a great guy and is also a AOS judge. Tell him I sent you. Pete, you should checkout his orchids as well. I love going into his greenhouses. I always wind up spending the whole day. Just tell him if he does not treat you well, I'll come down and harass him!! Come to think of it, I will harass him anyway...he likes it!!!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2001
4:26 PM

Post #51920

I have a few cattleyas. I don't know what colors they are, purchased them after they finished flowering.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America