Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Gerbera Daisy Suffering, can it be rescued?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
danludwig
Cincinnati, OH

June 6, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5060837

I planted 4 of these 2 weeks ago. Two are thriving, one is doing okay, but the photo is of one that it suffering. The flowers withered and drooped, so I cut them. New buds were coming up, but seem to have shrank down to nearly nothing. One plucked off easily when I was checking the crown for texture (checking for crown rot).

I sprayed for insects 8 days ago and will respray tomorrow. As long as the foliage remains green like this, is there hope for this plant?

Thanks,

Dan

Thumbnail by danludwig
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5061045

Various insect pests require specific sprays. What insect are you treating for, and what pesticide did you use? If a caterpillar did this, it has likely moved on anyway. Did you check the label on the product to make sure it is suitable for use on Gerberas?

DP
danludwig
Cincinnati, OH

June 6, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #5061103

I used Ortho Bug-B-Gon "MAX". The label didn't mention Gerberas specifically, but said it was "safe on roses, flowers, other ornamentals, trees, shrubs, and lawns."

Also, I sprayed for insects after this particular plant started suffering (last Wednesday) and fertilized with "bloom booster" miracle grow (last Saturday).

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 10:51 PM
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2008
5:15 AM

Post #5061453

You made sure the crown was exposed. That's good. I think a period of benign neglect would be your best choice for the time being. Have you checked under the leaves using a flashlight at night to see if any insects or caterpillars are there? If you can't find any insects or other chewing pests I wouldn't spray again, and also would not feed it for now. It is stressed, and fertilizer will stimulate it and that would be counterproductive. If new leaves appear and are undamaged, then you could resume your regular feeding schedule. It doesn't need any blooms at this time either, for they compete with the foliage for nutrients. You only want healthy plants to bloom.

DP
danludwig
Cincinnati, OH

June 6, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5062449

Thanks DP, that's what I've been doing for the past few days -- benign neglect. I thought, since this plant sits furthest downhill from the other gerberas, perhaps it's getting too much moisture, so I stopped watering it directly. When I sprayed for insects, I didn't do so under the leaves. I haven't gone out at night with a flashlight, and don't think I'm going to. Will heed the insecticide and fertilizer advice too, thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America