Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Viburnum Carlesii won't bloom, HELP

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yellowpenny
Swannanoa, NC

June 6, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5062572

I purchased two Viburnum Carlesii (aka, Koreanspice) in the spring of 2007 -- they both had a couple blooms when purchased. I transplanted in an area that is partial shade receiving filtered sun in the morning and a few hours of late morning, early afternoon sun but no sun in the hottest part of the afternoon. I am in the mountains of NC and the soil definitely has a lot of clay. The plants are growing - nearly doubled in size since I bought them with new growth "shoots" now - but they have not bloomed again. What am I doing wrong?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5062702

Could be they just need more time, often shrubs won't flower the following year after you plant them. I have had many, many shrubs be blooming when I purchase them, then I plant them and they take the next year off and don't bloom, then in the 2nd year after planting they'll typically start blooming again, although sometimes it'll take a couple years before they put on a really good show.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5064457

Some years are better than others for flowering shrubs. This year has been a boomer! All my shrubs put on a great show. That's not usually the case. i bet next year it will have some of those great smelling blooms.
madameyoohoo
A-0 Ski Lodge, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2014
11:36 AM

Post #9871912

Mine are full of buds and a few have opened .. last year was great for the butterflies - looking for a repeat! Photo is from 2013.

Thumbnail by madameyoohoo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America