Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Prairie in Spring: Prairie country

Communities > Forums > Article: The Prairie in Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Prairie in SpringReplies: 6, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5064775

I'm east of the old prairie, but when my daughter lived in Brookston in NW Indiana, you could tell exactly when you reached the prairie there at the edge of town. Going west on In. SR 18 it was all farm land and prairie landscape with few trees for miles and miles ...
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5065001

The prairie here, just west of Chicago, tends to be marshy, and the trees like to encroach wherever they can.

The suburbs encroach, too, on the open land, and the suburbs bring more trees. Last year we had the 17 yr cicadas. Where I live now, it was once all prairie, and we didn't get a whole lot of cicadas, but 2 miles north, in the old part of the suburb, the din was overwhelming. There will be more cicadas here 17 years from now.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 7, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5065606

Interesting! - a lot like California, actually, except your growing season is at a different time of year.
penquist
Ottawa, IL

June 9, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5077596

Lois,

Great article! I moved from Palatine to Ottawa, IL (90 miles SW of Chicago) 2 years ago and I'm just discovering the joy of wildflowers. Your article was helpful and I look forward to the remaining installments.

Peggy
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5077803

Thanks, I'm really enjoying doing it.
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5086773

Lois . . . do you know of a good local source for native prairie plants? I want some!
Klug
San Diego, CA

May 24, 2011
12:27 AM

Post #8583589

I grew up in southeast Wisconsin and every year the shooting stars and Mayapples were all over the wooded lots in back of us. Eventually all of those lots sold, the trees were cut down and houses built for "just off the lake" property. It made me so sad and I'm hoping that somewhere around that area, there is a place where you can still see them bloom in the spring.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Prairie in Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So that's what that's called! Hyblaean 0 Jun 6, 2008 7:11 AM
Lovely! jazzy1okc 0 May 23, 2011 5:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America