Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Dandelion destroyer

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vickijackson55
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2008
11:41 PM

Post #5065154

For those of us with those pesky dandelions, I read about a way to get them. This is supposed to work on most weeds, but I have only tried it on dandelions. Distilled white vinegar. About $4.00 for a large jug. This should be used for spot treating as the vinegar may harm your grass or plants. I used it on some dandelions in the grass and if the dandelion is large enough it and you're careful it's fine. Within 1 day they were shriveled and dried up. No harm to the pets, kids or environment.
Good luck
Vicki
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5065550

Be careful where you use it. I used some on a weed in my turf grass a couple of years ago. It killed a spot in the lawn about 20 inches in diameter. It is effective, for sure- at least for grass.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #5066283

Vinegar is a decent herbicide, it also works best if you use it on a sunny day. But it's a broad spectrum herbicide and it will kill desirable plants as well as weeds so you do need to be careful not to get it on anything you want to keep. With some weeds you need to hit them with vinegar a few times before they'll be totally dead, and for some of the tougher things it may not work as well.
trioadastra
Ellsworth, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 7, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5068903

Holy Cow!!!! I'm gonna go try that out right now! 8^0
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 8, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5070206

And I will try it on the Mares Tail that has been introduced to my herbaceous border, it is such a tough plant to kill and as it is in among other plants, I will dab it on in a still day, let you know how it works for me, good luck and thanks. WeeNel.
trioadastra
Ellsworth, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2008
8:59 AM

Post #5096880

In an effort to find out about replanting an area sprayed w/ vinegar, I discovered the following: That food grade vinegar you buy at the store is about 5% acetic acid, but it takes higher concentrations to kill most weeds; and that it only kills the top growth, so it's ineffective on perennial weeds.
Awchid
Gisborne
New Zealand

June 16, 2008
11:11 AM

Post #5110610

Salt is good for killing dandelions. Just pour a little into the centre and it will do the rest. Doesn't harm anything else. I also use it in the cracks in the concrete. Cheap and easy to get. Lesley.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America