Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: A Plant for Your Garden That Does it All: Any deer resistant info on Heptacodium

Communities > Forums > Article: A Plant for Your Garden That Does it All
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Plant for Your Garden That Does it AllReplies: 5, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5066902

Wow, I'm not familiar with this but after reading your article - must have it. That late summer/early fall interest is hard to come by. Thank you for bringing it to my attention! Does anyone have any experience with deer eating or NOT eating Seven Sons?
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2008
6:14 PM

Post #5068210

You're welcome, Cedar. We have a heavy deer population in our area, living as we do within a 27,000 acre wildlife preserve. To date I have noticed no damage from deer, even though they wander through our gardens from time to time. Larry☼
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5072576

Yee haw as we say down here! (well, we really don't say that, but everyone thinks we do). That is great news. Thanks
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #5075133

My wife, daughter, and I lived in Alabama for six years, so I'm familiar with the unjust but persistant yee haw image, especially among Northerners. Heck, I couldn't even get my friends from Iowa to come down for a visit. They thought we lived in a shanty and were candidates for cross burnings on our lawn! :-)
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5098911

Larry, so glad you have first hand experience with the regional issue. Being a Ga. native, I am a bit sensitive to stereotypes.
Are you affected by the flooding in Iowa? We've seen the film and it is terrbile to see the damage and loss. So sad. And here we are in a drought. Like life, the distribution of rain is not always 'fair'.

I've been out admiring my daylilies. With my new deer resistant fenced in garden, this is the first time I've seen some of them bloom (since they were always pruned multiple times each season). I'm like a miser and his gold, making notes on size and color and bloom date. I can see it would be easy to become a collector...I guess there are worse vices.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5099248

A few of our daylilies have started sending up scapes, but no blossoms yet.

Yes, life can certainly be interesting. Our home and gardens are safe from the flood, but we do have a small stream running through our basement and water oozing out of the floor. But that's nothing compared to what's going on in neighboring cities.

My wife and I are more or less marooned, because there are no roads open across the Iowa River for at least 75 miles in either direction. Our daughter is stranded at work in Cedar Rapids, with no way to get to her house. She's staying with one of her fellow employees for the night. Unfortunately, the worst is yet to come, as area rivers have not yet crested. Sand bagging efforts in Cedar Rapids have pretty much ceased, as they are completely futile against the swift and rapidly rising waters. In the downtown area the water is up to the second floor of many businesses. Our trip to the botanical gardens in Chicago today has been canceled, which is good, as we wouldn't have wanted to leave in the midst of all this. Plus, the state department of transportation has announced that it will close I-80 in our area tomorrow, so our bus driver would have had to spend half the day trying to find a way out of the state into Illinois. Interesting times...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Plant for Your Garden That Does it All Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Butterfly attraction to the Heptacodium? tabasco 4 Jun 4, 2008 3:54 AM
Heptacodium questions dlhs39 1 Jun 3, 2008 7:55 PM
heptacodium russty 5 Sep 9, 2008 1:10 AM
Heptacodium oregonrose 1 Jun 6, 2008 5:19 AM
Interesting plant Cville_Gardener 1 Oct 7, 2013 8:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America